Re: [BC346XT] Flexable Duck Antenna 346 ?

  • Wm Robert Sekul
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
      Try scanner world USA

      www.scannerworld.com

      BB

      -------------------------
      Wm. Robert Sekul
      601.940.7470
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 16, 2012, at 1:46 PM, "Chris" <chris.gray111@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit. I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be broken off.. any ideas ?
      >
      > Chris

    • Robert Terzi
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
        On 10/16/2012 2:46 PM, Chris wrote:
        > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit.
        >I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be
        >broken off.. any ideas ?

        You didn't mention what bands you want coverage for.

        My favorite is the Diamond RH-77ca, which is a BNC connector so it's easy to swap.
        At 15 inches it is a little on the long side for carrying. When I need something shorter
        I use a Nagoya NA-701, about 7 inches, very similar to the diamond.

        I picked those two because they have good reviews for transmitting on 2 meters / 70 cm
        using amateur HTs and also have good wide band receive coverage.

        I got the Rh-77ca from Universal Radio:

        http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht.html

        The Nagoya was purchased from 409shop.com

        Hope This Helps,
        --Rob
      • Chris Gray
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
          Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
          came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
          flexable...

          Thanks
          Chris

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
            The BC346XT comes with a BNC to SMA adapter.

            > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit.
            >I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be
            >broken off.. any ideas ?

            You didn't mention what bands you want coverage for.

            My favorite is the Diamond RH-77ca, which is a BNC connector so it's easy to
            swap.
            At 15 inches it is a little on the long side for carrying. When I need
            something shorter I use a Nagoya NA-701, about 7 inches, very similar to the
            diamond.

            I picked those two because they have good reviews for transmitting on 2
            meters / 70 cm using amateur HTs and also have good wide band receive
            coverage.

            I got the Rh-77ca from Universal Radio:

            http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht.html

            The Nagoya was purchased from 409shop.com

            Hope This Helps,
            --Rob
          • AV
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
              Hi,

              I use this one with my 346 and I'm quite happy with it. As flexible as it
              gets and much better antenna than the stock one.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRH536-SRH-536-HT-DUAL-BAND-ANTENNA-SMA-HI-GAIN-ICOM-/320429459378

              73,
              AV

              On 17 October 2012 00:48, Chris Gray <chris.gray111@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
              > came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
              > flexable...
              >
              > Thanks
              > Chris

            • Robert Terzi
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                On 10/16/2012 7:48 PM, Chris Gray wrote:
                > Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
                > came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
                > flexable...

                There were a couple of good antenna comparisons that tested responses on
                different bands. The site that I recall as the best, strong signals looks like it's gone.

                http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=003#083100

                The Antenna Challenge is another broad comparison:

                http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/antenna.html

                Because of the reviews I read, its wide coverage, and its gain for transmitting due
                to its length I picked the Diamond I mentioned earlier the RH-77ca. However it
                will probably be too long for you to wear all the time.

                I use BNC on my BC346XT and all my amateur handhelds so I can quickly swap antennas without
                worrying about breaking the pin in the fragile SMA connector. If you are going to
                get a single replacement antenna and keep it permanently attached stick with SMA.
                If you think you might be changing antennas periodically, consider BNC.

                Hope This Helps,
                --Rob
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                  I have the Radio Shack center-loaded telescoping whip antenna which I use at
                  home, usually fully collapsed. Outside, I use the supplied rubber duck,
                  which is good for my needs.