Flexable Duck Antenna 346 ?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
      Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit. I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be broken off.. any ideas ?

      Chris
    • Mark Levine
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
        Look on ebay. A dual band VHF UHF sma male works well if you need overall coverage.

        Mark Levine, D.C.

        On Oct 16, 2012, at 15:21, "Chris" <chris.gray111@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit. I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be broken off.. any ideas ?
        >
        > Chris

      • Wm Robert Sekul
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
          Try scanner world USA

          www.scannerworld.com

          BB

          -------------------------
          Wm. Robert Sekul
          601.940.7470
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Oct 16, 2012, at 1:46 PM, "Chris" <chris.gray111@...> wrote:

          > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit. I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be broken off.. any ideas ?
          >
          > Chris

        • Robert Terzi
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
            On 10/16/2012 2:46 PM, Chris wrote:
            > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit.
            >I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be
            >broken off.. any ideas ?

            You didn't mention what bands you want coverage for.

            My favorite is the Diamond RH-77ca, which is a BNC connector so it's easy to swap.
            At 15 inches it is a little on the long side for carrying. When I need something shorter
            I use a Nagoya NA-701, about 7 inches, very similar to the diamond.

            I picked those two because they have good reviews for transmitting on 2 meters / 70 cm
            using amateur HTs and also have good wide band receive coverage.

            I got the Rh-77ca from Universal Radio:

            http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht.html

            The Nagoya was purchased from 409shop.com

            Hope This Helps,
            --Rob
          • Chris Gray
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
              Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
              came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
              flexable...

              Thanks
              Chris

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
                The BC346XT comes with a BNC to SMA adapter.

                > Anyone know where I can get a good flexable antenna for this unit.
                >I need to carry it on a LBE vest and the stock antenna i'm sure will be
                >broken off.. any ideas ?

                You didn't mention what bands you want coverage for.

                My favorite is the Diamond RH-77ca, which is a BNC connector so it's easy to
                swap.
                At 15 inches it is a little on the long side for carrying. When I need
                something shorter I use a Nagoya NA-701, about 7 inches, very similar to the
                diamond.

                I picked those two because they have good reviews for transmitting on 2
                meters / 70 cm using amateur HTs and also have good wide band receive
                coverage.

                I got the Rh-77ca from Universal Radio:

                http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht.html

                The Nagoya was purchased from 409shop.com

                Hope This Helps,
                --Rob
              • AV
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                  Hi,

                  I use this one with my 346 and I'm quite happy with it. As flexible as it
                  gets and much better antenna than the stock one.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRH536-SRH-536-HT-DUAL-BAND-ANTENNA-SMA-HI-GAIN-ICOM-/320429459378

                  73,
                  AV

                  On 17 October 2012 00:48, Chris Gray <chris.gray111@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
                  > came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
                  > flexable...
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Chris

                • Robert Terzi
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                    On 10/16/2012 7:48 PM, Chris Gray wrote:
                    > Sorry, forgot to add i'm looking for overall coverage... The antenna it
                    > came with works very well for me, and I'd like somthing just like it, but
                    > flexable...

                    There were a couple of good antenna comparisons that tested responses on
                    different bands. The site that I recall as the best, strong signals looks like it's gone.

                    http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=rev&class=ant&num=003#083100

                    The Antenna Challenge is another broad comparison:

                    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/antenna.html

                    Because of the reviews I read, its wide coverage, and its gain for transmitting due
                    to its length I picked the Diamond I mentioned earlier the RH-77ca. However it
                    will probably be too long for you to wear all the time.

                    I use BNC on my BC346XT and all my amateur handhelds so I can quickly swap antennas without
                    worrying about breaking the pin in the fragile SMA connector. If you are going to
                    get a single replacement antenna and keep it permanently attached stick with SMA.
                    If you think you might be changing antennas periodically, consider BNC.

                    Hope This Helps,
                    --Rob
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                      I have the Radio Shack center-loaded telescoping whip antenna which I use at
                      home, usually fully collapsed. Outside, I use the supplied rubber duck,
                      which is good for my needs.