GPS tracking

  • Iron Horse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19 9:34 AM
      I have the 346 on order from scanner master...cant wait to get it!!! Paid $199, plus the cost of the USB cable to program it. I dont want to deal with the null modem adapters or serial ports in general.

      I am used to the Banks and Channel systems...so I am curious how some of you have set up your 346XT. I used the banks like county and or city locations, then the channels were the agencies in those areas that I want to hear. Like Solano county is bank 1, then Vallejo, Benicia police and fire were using up channels 1 thru 6, etc. I like this way or grouping things. Can anyone give me an example of their set ups?

      I downloaded the freescan software, and subscribed to the radioreference premium access. I got a ton of stuff ready to download to my scanner once it comes in. One thing I am interested in is the GPS side of this scanner. I dont have a stand alone GPS anymore...my Droid Bionic is faster and more flexible than a normal GPS. I searched for an app to let me connect my phone to the scanner via the mini USB port, but nothing comes up. This would be the ultimate set up because it would be portable all the way around. Anyone tried to connect the two devices before? If so any luck???

      Lastly, if you have any tips to a problem free first time set up, please let me know. I hope this bad weather in the east does not delay my scanner from getting here on Monday. It is coming ground via UPS, so it might me a day or two later. X my fingers it makes it here on time.

      Thanks,

      Michael
    • Mark Levine, D.C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19 2:00 PM
        AFAIK No such APP exists to output NMEA data to the scanner.

        > I have the 346 on order from scanner master...cant wait to get it!!! Paid
        > $199, plus the cost of the USB cable to program it. I dont want to deal
        > with the null modem adapters or serial ports in general.
        >
        > I am used to the Banks and Channel systems...so I am curious how some of
        > you have set up your 346XT. I used the banks like county and or city
        > locations, then the channels were the agencies in those areas that I want
        > to hear. Like Solano county is bank 1, then Vallejo, Benicia police and
        > fire were using up channels 1 thru 6, etc. I like this way or grouping
        > things. Can anyone give me an example of their set ups?
        >
        > I downloaded the freescan software, and subscribed to the radioreference
        > premium access. I got a ton of stuff ready to download to my scanner once
        > it comes in. One thing I am interested in is the GPS side of this scanner.
        > I dont have a stand alone GPS anymore...my Droid Bionic is faster and more
        > flexible than a normal GPS. I searched for an app to let me connect my
        > phone to the scanner via the mini USB port, but nothing comes up. This
        > would be the ultimate set up because it would be portable all the way
        > around. Anyone tried to connect the two devices before? If so any luck???
        >
        > Lastly, if you have any tips to a problem free first time set up, please
        > let me know. I hope this bad weather in the east does not delay my scanner
        > from getting here on Monday. It is coming ground via UPS, so it might me a
        > day or two later. X my fingers it makes it here on time.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Michael

      • cheri gemmill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19 6:53 PM
          Well michael, its to bad u didnt do alittle research on the prices before u went and paid 200 plus.cause i just got mine at FRYS and didnt have to wait or anything got all accessorys with it for 189 for it all.thats vegas for ya!sorry you had to wait to play with ur scanner.always true! CHERI