Re: [BC346XT] Help

  • Maggie OConnor
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
      Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and off – and I too would have liked the close call – but couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only one!! LOL
      - Maggie

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 15, 2012
        You can make your 346 work the same by assigning a System Quick Key for
        your Systems. If you only use 0-9, it will operate just like your 245,
        only you will be able to add several systems to the same key
        (conventional, Motorola, EDACS, or LTR, or any mix of them - even
        multiple instances of each system type).

        Many people think of Close Call as a "magic frequency finder". It's not.
        It has limitations. But, it works great for finding transmissions that
        are *close* to you (as long as they are not flea power like some
        wireless mics). The range will vary depending on the power of the
        transmitter and the terrain, but generally portables are good for up to
        a couple hundred feet, mobiles up to a mile, and base stations up to
        several miles (my record is 15 miles using an external antenna, but
        don't expect that in most conditions). There are many limiting factors
        such as other stations in the same band that can interfere with the
        capture. The 'hit' has to be 20 dB stronger than any other station in
        the same band.

        Joe M.

        Maggie OConnor wrote:
        > Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and off – and I too would have liked the close call – but couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only one!! LOL
        > - Maggie

      • Jonathan Coles
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 15, 2012
          So MCH, when you talk about "systems", do you mean
          trunk-tracking systems? I haven't attempted any of those
          yet. But that's where comms are going these days, so I'll
          have to find some way to learn about that. Am I right that
          there's no way to scan for a trunk system (even just finding
          a system control channel)? From the Program System menu it
          looks like you have to know intimate technical details about
          the system in advance of being able to listen to anything.

          So far, I have used direct entry, custom searches, and the
          Service scan. "Service" seems to be a different concept from
          "system". But it's not possible to see what frequencies or
          ranges are pre-programmed and there's no provision to define
          new services.

          It's going to take me a long time with the "Easier to read"
          manual and FreeScan to learn how to do much with this unit.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 16, 2012
            You can set up a "custom search", set the menu to Control Channel only and it will stop on the CC and in some instances show you who the trunk system is...Search between 851-860 and in the menu "name it"....That way you know what area your searching....Then install it in the scanner....

            --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Coles <jcoles0727@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > station in
            > > the same band.
            > >
            > > Joe M.
            > >
            > > Maggie OConnor wrote:
            > > > Hey Jonathan â€" I have to agree with you.. I had the
            > > BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the
            > > “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I
            > > actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I
            > > bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner
            > > itself didn’t work â€" although it was supposed to â€" but we
            > > took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new
            > > one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and
            > > off â€" and I too would have liked the close call â€" but
            > > couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day
            > > I’ll have time to figure it out â€" but I’m happy with my
            > > old one â€" I just don’t want you to think you’re the only

          • jeff
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 19, 2012
              Another manual for the BC346XT

              http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BC346XT

              http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC346XT#Supporting_Software

              On 12-01-15 03:32 AM, MCH wrote:

              > You can make your 346 work the same by assigning a System
              > Quick Key for
              > your Systems. If you only use 0-9, it will operate just
              > like your 245,
              > only you will be able to add several systems to the same key
              > (conventional, Motorola, EDACS, or LTR, or any mix of them
              > - even
              > multiple instances of each system type).
              >
              > Many people think of Close Call as a "magic frequency
              > finder". It's not.
              > It has limitations. But, it works great for finding
              > transmissions that
              > are *close* to you (as long as they are not flea power
              > like some
              > wireless mics). The range will vary depending on the power
              > of the
              > transmitter and the terrain, but generally portables are
              > good for up to
              > a couple hundred feet, mobiles up to a mile, and base
              > stations up to
              > several miles (my record is 15 miles using an external
              > antenna, but
              > don't expect that in most conditions). There are many
              > limiting factors
              > such as other stations in the same band that can interfere
              > with the
              > capture. The 'hit' has to be 20 dB stronger than any other
              > station in
              > the same band.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > Maggie OConnor wrote:
              > > Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the
              > BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the
              > “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I
              > actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I
              > bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner
              > itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we
              > took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new
              > one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and
              > off – and I too would have liked the close call – but
              > couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day
              > I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my
              > old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only
              > one!! LOL
              > > - Maggie

            • Charles Collins
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                Does anyone know if the BC346XT can be converted to a digital radio?
                I heard that it could but the source was of limited reliability.
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                  Substitute the word "no" instead of "limited" in your question, and you'll have
                  your answer.

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 17, 2012
                    Help me please.I just bought a new BC346XT.My friend programmed it -it was working great until I hit something & now it's stuck in some kind of search mode.I can't get it back to scan only the groups I want it to.Very frustrating -please help ".--Jeff --
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 17, 2012
                      You may have hit Function, the top rubber button on the left side just under
                      the antenna, then Scan. That throws it into ID Search mode. To restore ID
                      Scan, hit Function again, then Scan; the display should show ID Scan.

                      Whenever Function is active, a small F against a black background appears in
                      the top left corner of the display; it stays active for about 5 seconds
                      unless cleared manually. The button is very easy to hit accidentally.

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 11, 2013
                        I need help to understand and program my scanner and to learn all of the features.
                        If anyone lives near the Northwest part of Indiana please let me know.
                      • fivesolas2004
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 15, 2013