RE: [BC346XT] Help

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
      I use FreeScan and a USB cord with my BC346XT. The salesman recommended
      ProScan, but FreeScan works just as well, and is much easier and quicker. I
      have a premium account with www.radioreference.com, but can often use the
      EZ-Grab feature (copy and paste). I have to wonder why Uniden is hitching
      its wagon to a falling star by supplying a cord 9-pin serial plug when
      serial ports are dying. The USB cord is well worth the extra $35 it cost me.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
        Likely because RS232 is a standard for communications while USB is not.
        For USB, you need software (drivers) for each ship for each OS.
        Currently, that's a couple dozen drivers you need for each product. With
        RS232, it's plug-n-play (and it will be for decades).

        The sad part is that RS232 is so reliable and cheap, but PC
        manufacturers are not adding it to save a buck (literally - one dollar).

        Fortunately, you can easily add them to almost any PC. Even my iPad has
        an option for an RS232 cable. And from rumors, there is an iOS
        application in development for Uniden scanners.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
          My computer has only one RS232 serial port, on the back, and it's already
          spoken for by a UPS. I only had to download the one USB driver from
          www.scannermaster.com - from whom I ordered a quick reference card about 2
          months ago.

          Mark W. Walton wrote:
          > I have to wonder why Uniden is hitching
          > its wagon to a falling star by supplying a cord 9-pin serial plug when
          > serial ports are dying. The USB cord is well worth the extra $35 it cost
          me.

          > Mark Walton
          > mark.walton@...
        • Maggie OConnor
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
            Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and off – and I too would have liked the close call – but couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only one!! LOL
            - Maggie

            Yes. The BC346XT is anything but intuitive. I have used
            scanners before and seldom needed to consult the manual.
            This one makes the simplest tasks difficult.

            I kept getting stuck in "Direct Entry" mode -- couldn't find
            a way out as there's no Enter key. After some random jabbing
            at keys, I discovered that HOLD functions as enter, at least
            for direct entry.

            It's easy to get stuck in the menus if you press the wrong
            buttons. Sometimes power off is the only way out, when all
            other keypresses produce that annoying "error" sound.

            When I bought the unit, I was interested in the Close Call
            feature. I had expected something like a "near-field only"
            mode. As far as I can tell, it's just a non-adjustable high
            squelch level. Usually it stops on the strongest local FM
            radio station. Not very useful.

            The FreeScan program looks promising. Its interface is
            easier to understand than the menus on the device's tiny LCD.

            There are probably good features in the BC346XT, but they
            are hard to access.

            On 11-12-27 10:29 AM, billinchat wrote:

            > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for
            > Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have
            > batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the
            > manual online but do not really understand what they are
            > talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from
            > ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would
            > like to do something with this, yet I do not want to
            > aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any
            > suggestions.
            >
            > Bill

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
              FreeSCAN for iOS
              Current Stage: In Development
              <http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/products/freescan-remote-ios>

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 15, 2012
                You can make your 346 work the same by assigning a System Quick Key for
                your Systems. If you only use 0-9, it will operate just like your 245,
                only you will be able to add several systems to the same key
                (conventional, Motorola, EDACS, or LTR, or any mix of them - even
                multiple instances of each system type).

                Many people think of Close Call as a "magic frequency finder". It's not.
                It has limitations. But, it works great for finding transmissions that
                are *close* to you (as long as they are not flea power like some
                wireless mics). The range will vary depending on the power of the
                transmitter and the terrain, but generally portables are good for up to
                a couple hundred feet, mobiles up to a mile, and base stations up to
                several miles (my record is 15 miles using an external antenna, but
                don't expect that in most conditions). There are many limiting factors
                such as other stations in the same band that can interfere with the
                capture. The 'hit' has to be 20 dB stronger than any other station in
                the same band.

                Joe M.

                Maggie OConnor wrote:
                > Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and off – and I too would have liked the close call – but couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only one!! LOL
                > - Maggie

              • Jonathan Coles
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 15, 2012
                  So MCH, when you talk about "systems", do you mean
                  trunk-tracking systems? I haven't attempted any of those
                  yet. But that's where comms are going these days, so I'll
                  have to find some way to learn about that. Am I right that
                  there's no way to scan for a trunk system (even just finding
                  a system control channel)? From the Program System menu it
                  looks like you have to know intimate technical details about
                  the system in advance of being able to listen to anything.

                  So far, I have used direct entry, custom searches, and the
                  Service scan. "Service" seems to be a different concept from
                  "system". But it's not possible to see what frequencies or
                  ranges are pre-programmed and there's no provision to define
                  new services.

                  It's going to take me a long time with the "Easier to read"
                  manual and FreeScan to learn how to do much with this unit.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 16, 2012
                    You can set up a "custom search", set the menu to Control Channel only and it will stop on the CC and in some instances show you who the trunk system is...Search between 851-860 and in the menu "name it"....That way you know what area your searching....Then install it in the scanner....

                    --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Coles <jcoles0727@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > station in
                    > > the same band.
                    > >
                    > > Joe M.
                    > >
                    > > Maggie OConnor wrote:
                    > > > Hey Jonathan â€" I have to agree with you.. I had the
                    > > BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the
                    > > “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I
                    > > actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I
                    > > bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner
                    > > itself didn’t work â€" although it was supposed to â€" but we
                    > > took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new
                    > > one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and
                    > > off â€" and I too would have liked the close call â€" but
                    > > couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day
                    > > I’ll have time to figure it out â€" but I’m happy with my
                    > > old one â€" I just don’t want you to think you’re the only

                  • jeff
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 19, 2012
                      Another manual for the BC346XT

                      http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BC346XT

                      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC346XT#Supporting_Software

                      On 12-01-15 03:32 AM, MCH wrote:

                      > You can make your 346 work the same by assigning a System
                      > Quick Key for
                      > your Systems. If you only use 0-9, it will operate just
                      > like your 245,
                      > only you will be able to add several systems to the same key
                      > (conventional, Motorola, EDACS, or LTR, or any mix of them
                      > - even
                      > multiple instances of each system type).
                      >
                      > Many people think of Close Call as a "magic frequency
                      > finder". It's not.
                      > It has limitations. But, it works great for finding
                      > transmissions that
                      > are *close* to you (as long as they are not flea power
                      > like some
                      > wireless mics). The range will vary depending on the power
                      > of the
                      > transmitter and the terrain, but generally portables are
                      > good for up to
                      > a couple hundred feet, mobiles up to a mile, and base
                      > stations up to
                      > several miles (my record is 15 miles using an external
                      > antenna, but
                      > don't expect that in most conditions). There are many
                      > limiting factors
                      > such as other stations in the same band that can interfere
                      > with the
                      > capture. The 'hit' has to be 20 dB stronger than any other
                      > station in
                      > the same band.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > Maggie OConnor wrote:
                      > > Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the
                      > BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the
                      > “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I
                      > actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I
                      > bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner
                      > itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we
                      > took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new
                      > one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and
                      > off – and I too would have liked the close call – but
                      > couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day
                      > I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my
                      > old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only
                      > one!! LOL
                      > > - Maggie

                    • Charles Collins
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                        Does anyone know if the BC346XT can be converted to a digital radio?
                        I heard that it could but the source was of limited reliability.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                          Substitute the word "no" instead of "limited" in your question, and you'll have
                          your answer.

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 17, 2012
                            Help me please.I just bought a new BC346XT.My friend programmed it -it was working great until I hit something & now it's stuck in some kind of search mode.I can't get it back to scan only the groups I want it to.Very frustrating -please help ".--Jeff --
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 17, 2012
                              You may have hit Function, the top rubber button on the left side just under
                              the antenna, then Scan. That throws it into ID Search mode. To restore ID
                              Scan, hit Function again, then Scan; the display should show ID Scan.

                              Whenever Function is active, a small F against a black background appears in
                              the top left corner of the display; it stays active for about 5 seconds
                              unless cleared manually. The button is very easy to hit accidentally.

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 11, 2013
                                I need help to understand and program my scanner and to learn all of the features.
                                If anyone lives near the Northwest part of Indiana please let me know.
                              • fivesolas2004
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 15, 2013