Help

  • billinchat
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 27, 2011
      OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the manual online but do not really understand what they are talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would like to do something with this, yet I do not want to aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any suggestions.

      Bill
    • Mark Levine, D.C.
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 27, 2011
        Where are you and what do you want to listen to?

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 27, 2011
          For starters, describe what you are having trouble with.

          Joe M.

          billinchat wrote:
          > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the manual online but do not really understand what they are talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would like to do something with this, yet I do not want to aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any suggestions.
          >
          > Bill
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 27, 2011
            Easier to Read
            BC346XT Scanner Manual
            <http://marksscanners.com/346XT/346xt.shtml>

            <http://marksscanners.com>

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
              Thank you. I am in Titusville, FL 32780 and would want to listen to
              anything in range but also police, fire, etc. I got the frequencies from
              radioreference.com but am having trouble trying to enter them.

              Bill

              --
              *Bill Henderson
              2520 Village Lane

            • harrjd514
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                find an application to program your scanner, most of them if not all are difficult for anyone to program by hand, use a software based programmer and use the radioreference database to download the frequencies automatically.

                --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "billinchat" <billinchat@...> wrote:

                > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the manual online but do not really understand what they are talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would like to do something with this, yet I do not want to aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any suggestions.
                >
                > Bill

              • sraasch
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                  Hi all...

                  I also got a BC346XT for the holidays. I have some scanner experience (owned and was moderately successful using my PRO-94 for a while). I have been through the official and "better" manuals. What I notice seems to be missing is a HOWTO approach for the relaive newbie. Both manuals are probably fine for someone with some experience, but it took quite a bit of digging to find out how to do a simple scan of the public safety bands.

                  Not being one to simply complain/whine/etc, what I think I will do is try to put together something for someone with a little less expertise. I hope that I can find support here for the (many) questions I'm likely to need answered.

                  If something like what I'm describing already exists, I'd appreciate a pointer so as to not duplicate the work.

                  -Steve

                  --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "billinchat" <billinchat@...> wrote:

                  > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the manual online but do not really understand what they are talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would like to do something with this, yet I do not want to aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any suggestions.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • xc_rage
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                    Steve and Bill,

                    I had the same problem a few years back when I bought a BC246T. I had no idea how to program the thing and it set on a shelf for almost two years. I was finally able to get some help from the forums and this is what I did to program my BC346XT...

                    (1.) I downloaded the Program called "FreeSCAN" which supports the Uniden BC346XT and will allow you to program the scanner from a PC.

                    http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/products/freescan

                    (2.) I bought the Uniden USB-1 Scanner Radio PC Interface Cable (about $30 retail from Amazon or Uniden)

                    This cable can also be used to update the firmware on your BC346XT via a computer if any updates are available. (I updated the firmware on my BC246T using this cable)

                    (3.) I paid for a $15 dollar (six month) subscription to Radioreference. This will allow you to download the frequencies via "FreeSCAN" from your PC to your Uniden BC346XT.

                    It is very time consuming to program a scanner by hand. I highly recommend using a computer if one is available. Radioreference has a lot of good information on "FreeSCAN"

                    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FreeScan_User_Guide

                    Disclaimer: If you mess up your scanner, computer, etc... I take no responsibility for this. I cannot guarantee that the method I used will work for others.

                    I hope this helps,

                    Very Respectfully,
                    John

                    --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "sraasch" <sraasch@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all...
                    >
                    > I also got a BC346XT for the holidays. I have some scanner experience (owned and was moderately successful using my PRO-94 for a while). I have been through the official and "better" manuals. What I notice seems to be missing is a HOWTO approach for the relaive newbie. Both manuals are probably fine for someone with some experience, but it took quite a bit of digging to find out how to do a simple scan of the public safety bands.
                    >
                    > Not being one to simply complain/whine/etc, what I think I will do is try to put together something for someone with a little less expertise. I hope that I can find support here for the (many) questions I'm likely to need answered.
                    >
                    > If something like what I'm describing already exists, I'd appreciate a pointer so as to not duplicate the work.
                    >
                    > -Steve
                    >

                    > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "billinchat" <billinchat@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the manual online but do not really understand what they are talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would like to do something with this, yet I do not want to aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any suggestions.
                    > >
                    > > Bill

                  • Jonathan Coles
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                      Yes. The BC346XT is anything but intuitive. I have used
                      scanners before and seldom needed to consult the manual.
                      This one makes the simplest tasks difficult.

                      I kept getting stuck in "Direct Entry" mode -- couldn't find
                      a way out as there's no Enter key. After some random jabbing
                      at keys, I discovered that HOLD functions as enter, at least
                      for direct entry.

                      It's easy to get stuck in the menus if you press the wrong
                      buttons. Sometimes power off is the only way out, when all
                      other keypresses produce that annoying "error" sound.

                      When I bought the unit, I was interested in the Close Call
                      feature. I had expected something like a "near-field only"
                      mode. As far as I can tell, it's just a non-adjustable high
                      squelch level. Usually it stops on the strongest local FM
                      radio station. Not very useful.

                      The FreeScan program looks promising. Its interface is
                      easier to understand than the menus on the device's tiny LCD.

                      There are probably good features in the BC346XT, but they
                      are hard to access.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                        I use FreeScan and a USB cord with my BC346XT. The salesman recommended
                        ProScan, but FreeScan works just as well, and is much easier and quicker. I
                        have a premium account with www.radioreference.com, but can often use the
                        EZ-Grab feature (copy and paste). I have to wonder why Uniden is hitching
                        its wagon to a falling star by supplying a cord 9-pin serial plug when
                        serial ports are dying. The USB cord is well worth the extra $35 it cost me.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                          Threaded...

                          Jonathan Coles wrote:
                          > Yes. The BC346XT is anything but intuitive. I have used
                          > scanners before and seldom needed to consult the manual.
                          > This one makes the simplest tasks difficult.

                          Once you get used to DMA scanners, you will say that about all the older
                          scanners when you had to remember FUNC - 1 - 6 - 3 - 2 to do something.
                          Menu driven interfaces are where it is at these days.

                          > I kept getting stuck in "Direct Entry" mode -- couldn't find
                          > a way out as there's no Enter key. After some random jabbing
                          > at keys, I discovered that HOLD functions as enter, at least
                          > for direct entry.

                          Yep. That's in the manual.

                          > It's easy to get stuck in the menus if you press the wrong
                          > buttons. Sometimes power off is the only way out, when all
                          > other keypresses produce that annoying "error" sound.

                          You must not have tried the L/O key.
                          That exits the menu wherever you are.

                          > When I bought the unit, I was interested in the Close Call
                          > feature. I had expected something like a "near-field only"
                          > mode. As far as I can tell, it's just a non-adjustable high
                          > squelch level. Usually it stops on the strongest local FM
                          > radio station. Not very useful.

                          It IS a near field only mode. That's how near field receivers work -
                          they lock into the strongest signal. I've found it immensely useful in
                          finding transmitters in the near field. You might want to try to
                          Broadcast Screen.

                          > The FreeScan program looks promising. Its interface is
                          > easier to understand than the menus on the device's tiny LCD.

                          Really? You mean people can't understand things like "Program System" or
                          "New System" or "New Channel" or "Edit Name"? Granted, you can navigate
                          easier when you can display the contents of multiple channels at the
                          same time, but nobody said the 346 was as powerful as a Pentium or that
                          the display was HD quality.

                          > There are probably good features in the BC346XT, but they
                          > are hard to access.

                          There are a lot of good features, and you named several of them. There
                          is also the huge channel memory compared to older scanners.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                            Likely because RS232 is a standard for communications while USB is not.
                            For USB, you need software (drivers) for each ship for each OS.
                            Currently, that's a couple dozen drivers you need for each product. With
                            RS232, it's plug-n-play (and it will be for decades).

                            The sad part is that RS232 is so reliable and cheap, but PC
                            manufacturers are not adding it to save a buck (literally - one dollar).

                            Fortunately, you can easily add them to almost any PC. Even my iPad has
                            an option for an RS232 cable. And from rumors, there is an iOS
                            application in development for Uniden scanners.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                              My computer has only one RS232 serial port, on the back, and it's already
                              spoken for by a UPS. I only had to download the one USB driver from
                              www.scannermaster.com - from whom I ordered a quick reference card about 2
                              months ago.

                              Mark W. Walton wrote:
                              > I have to wonder why Uniden is hitching
                              > its wagon to a falling star by supplying a cord 9-pin serial plug when
                              > serial ports are dying. The USB cord is well worth the extra $35 it cost
                              me.

                              > Mark Walton
                              > mark.walton@...
                            • Maggie OConnor
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                                Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and off – and I too would have liked the close call – but couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only one!! LOL
                                - Maggie

                                Yes. The BC346XT is anything but intuitive. I have used
                                scanners before and seldom needed to consult the manual.
                                This one makes the simplest tasks difficult.

                                I kept getting stuck in "Direct Entry" mode -- couldn't find
                                a way out as there's no Enter key. After some random jabbing
                                at keys, I discovered that HOLD functions as enter, at least
                                for direct entry.

                                It's easy to get stuck in the menus if you press the wrong
                                buttons. Sometimes power off is the only way out, when all
                                other keypresses produce that annoying "error" sound.

                                When I bought the unit, I was interested in the Close Call
                                feature. I had expected something like a "near-field only"
                                mode. As far as I can tell, it's just a non-adjustable high
                                squelch level. Usually it stops on the strongest local FM
                                radio station. Not very useful.

                                The FreeScan program looks promising. Its interface is
                                easier to understand than the menus on the device's tiny LCD.

                                There are probably good features in the BC346XT, but they
                                are hard to access.

                                On 11-12-27 10:29 AM, billinchat wrote:

                                > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for
                                > Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have
                                > batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the
                                > manual online but do not really understand what they are
                                > talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from
                                > ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would
                                > like to do something with this, yet I do not want to
                                > aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any
                                > suggestions.
                                >
                                > Bill

                              • Brian
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 14, 2012
                                  FreeSCAN for iOS
                                  Current Stage: In Development
                                  <http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/products/freescan-remote-ios>

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 15, 2012
                                    You can make your 346 work the same by assigning a System Quick Key for
                                    your Systems. If you only use 0-9, it will operate just like your 245,
                                    only you will be able to add several systems to the same key
                                    (conventional, Motorola, EDACS, or LTR, or any mix of them - even
                                    multiple instances of each system type).

                                    Many people think of Close Call as a "magic frequency finder". It's not.
                                    It has limitations. But, it works great for finding transmissions that
                                    are *close* to you (as long as they are not flea power like some
                                    wireless mics). The range will vary depending on the power of the
                                    transmitter and the terrain, but generally portables are good for up to
                                    a couple hundred feet, mobiles up to a mile, and base stations up to
                                    several miles (my record is 15 miles using an external antenna, but
                                    don't expect that in most conditions). There are many limiting factors
                                    such as other stations in the same band that can interfere with the
                                    capture. The 'hit' has to be 20 dB stronger than any other station in
                                    the same band.

                                    Joe M.

                                    Maggie OConnor wrote:
                                    > Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and off – and I too would have liked the close call – but couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only one!! LOL
                                    > - Maggie

                                  • Jonathan Coles
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 15, 2012
                                      So MCH, when you talk about "systems", do you mean
                                      trunk-tracking systems? I haven't attempted any of those
                                      yet. But that's where comms are going these days, so I'll
                                      have to find some way to learn about that. Am I right that
                                      there's no way to scan for a trunk system (even just finding
                                      a system control channel)? From the Program System menu it
                                      looks like you have to know intimate technical details about
                                      the system in advance of being able to listen to anything.

                                      So far, I have used direct entry, custom searches, and the
                                      Service scan. "Service" seems to be a different concept from
                                      "system". But it's not possible to see what frequencies or
                                      ranges are pre-programmed and there's no provision to define
                                      new services.

                                      It's going to take me a long time with the "Easier to read"
                                      manual and FreeScan to learn how to do much with this unit.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 16, 2012
                                        You can set up a "custom search", set the menu to Control Channel only and it will stop on the CC and in some instances show you who the trunk system is...Search between 851-860 and in the menu "name it"....That way you know what area your searching....Then install it in the scanner....

                                        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Coles <jcoles0727@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > station in
                                        > > the same band.
                                        > >
                                        > > Joe M.
                                        > >
                                        > > Maggie OConnor wrote:
                                        > > > Hey Jonathan â€" I have to agree with you.. I had the
                                        > > BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the
                                        > > “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I
                                        > > actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I
                                        > > bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner
                                        > > itself didn’t work â€" although it was supposed to â€" but we
                                        > > took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new
                                        > > one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and
                                        > > off â€" and I too would have liked the close call â€" but
                                        > > couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day
                                        > > I’ll have time to figure it out â€" but I’m happy with my
                                        > > old one â€" I just don’t want you to think you’re the only

                                      • jeff
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 19, 2012
                                          Another manual for the BC346XT

                                          http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BC346XT

                                          http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC346XT#Supporting_Software

                                          On 12-01-15 03:32 AM, MCH wrote:

                                          > You can make your 346 work the same by assigning a System
                                          > Quick Key for
                                          > your Systems. If you only use 0-9, it will operate just
                                          > like your 245,
                                          > only you will be able to add several systems to the same key
                                          > (conventional, Motorola, EDACS, or LTR, or any mix of them
                                          > - even
                                          > multiple instances of each system type).
                                          >
                                          > Many people think of Close Call as a "magic frequency
                                          > finder". It's not.
                                          > It has limitations. But, it works great for finding
                                          > transmissions that
                                          > are *close* to you (as long as they are not flea power
                                          > like some
                                          > wireless mics). The range will vary depending on the power
                                          > of the
                                          > transmitter and the terrain, but generally portables are
                                          > good for up to
                                          > a couple hundred feet, mobiles up to a mile, and base
                                          > stations up to
                                          > several miles (my record is 15 miles using an external
                                          > antenna, but
                                          > don't expect that in most conditions). There are many
                                          > limiting factors
                                          > such as other stations in the same band that can interfere
                                          > with the
                                          > capture. The 'hit' has to be 20 dB stronger than any other
                                          > station in
                                          > the same band.
                                          >
                                          > Joe M.
                                          >
                                          > Maggie OConnor wrote:
                                          > > Hey Jonathan – I have to agree with you.. I had the
                                          > BC245XLT for years, but the speaker went so I bought the
                                          > “current/newer” model.. With help from the folks here I
                                          > actually got it set up, but I can’t deal with it... I
                                          > bought another 245 on EBay and unfortunately the scanner
                                          > itself didn’t work – although it was supposed to – but we
                                          > took the speaker out and put it in ours.. We use the new
                                          > one occasionally, but I like to easily turn banks on and
                                          > off – and I too would have liked the close call – but
                                          > couldn’t make that work for me either.. Maybe some day
                                          > I’ll have time to figure it out – but I’m happy with my
                                          > old one – I just don’t want you to think you’re the only
                                          > one!! LOL
                                          > > - Maggie

                                        • Charles Collins
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                                            Does anyone know if the BC346XT can be converted to a digital radio?
                                            I heard that it could but the source was of limited reliability.
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                                              Substitute the word "no" instead of "limited" in your question, and you'll have
                                              your answer.

                                              ________________________________
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                Help me please.I just bought a new BC346XT.My friend programmed it -it was working great until I hit something & now it's stuck in some kind of search mode.I can't get it back to scan only the groups I want it to.Very frustrating -please help ".--Jeff --
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                  You may have hit Function, the top rubber button on the left side just under
                                                  the antenna, then Scan. That throws it into ID Search mode. To restore ID
                                                  Scan, hit Function again, then Scan; the display should show ID Scan.

                                                  Whenever Function is active, a small F against a black background appears in
                                                  the top left corner of the display; it stays active for about 5 seconds
                                                  unless cleared manually. The button is very easy to hit accidentally.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 11, 2013
                                                    I need help to understand and program my scanner and to learn all of the features.
                                                    If anyone lives near the Northwest part of Indiana please let me know.
                                                  • fivesolas2004
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 15, 2013