Re: [BC346XT] Re: charging question

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2011
      Yes, I see what you were saying now. You were talking about the total
      charge a cell will require, and not the charge rate. When you said "The
      rule of thumb for charging is to feed them with about 1.5x their
      capacity.", I thought you were talking about the charge rate, and 1.5
      times their capacity would be way too high.

      Of course, the total charge will depend on several factors - including
      the condition of the cell. Newer cells will generally require much less
      than 1.5 times their capacity while older ones may require more. You can
      tell the cell condition by the release of heat during the charge
      process. The more heat released, the less efficient the transfer and the
      more total charge will be required to reach full capacity (which will
      change as the cell ages).

      Joe M.

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 30, 2011
        With the added caveat that unlike NiCD, which are endothermic during normal
        charge (chemical process absorbs heat), NiMH are exothermic during normal
        charge. That is, it is perfectly normal and expected for NiMH cells to
        continuously generate heat during the charge cycle even when charging
        efficiently and not yet in overcharge.

        (A lot of people get concerned that the batteries are immediately getting warm
        shortly after charging starts.)