Re: Lightning Arrestors and Antennas?

  • xc_rage
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
      That answers my questions and I really appreciate the help. I am still pretty new to scanners and antennas. I did mount the antenna on the roof, and I was able to extend my range almost 50 miles using a PRO-107 scanner. I have been really impressed with Radioshack equipment so far. Unfortunately, the only cable Radioshack had at the time I purchased the antenna was 50' of RG-58 (the cheap stuff $19.99). I am looking into getting some RG-6, RG-8, or RG-59. Thanks again :=)

      --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, KD7MG" <kd7mg@...> wrote:

      > > I recently purchased a Radioshack discone antenna that receives 50 - 1300
      > MHz and a
      > > Diamond SP1000 lightning arrestor. What does the frequency on the
      > lightning arrestor
      > > mean? Diamond listed on their website the frequency to be DC - 1000 MHz
      > and it is
      > > also written on the arrestor itself. What does the DC stand for and will
      > this prevent me
      > > from listening to VHF/UHF/800MHz Bands on this antenna if I install the
      > SP1000?
      >
      > DC means Direct Current, or Zero MHz. So the arrester you bought covers
      > anywhere
      > from 0 to 1000 MHz. Above 1000 MHz the losses start going up, reducing the
      > signal
      > strength of what you are trying to listen to. It will work fine for
      > VHF/UHF/800 MHz.
      >
      > BTW, that's a nice antenna for scanning. If you are going to roof mount it,
      > just make
      > sure your coax is not too lossy, especially at 800 MHz. I would highly
      > recommend
      > using RG-59, or even better, RG-6. It will have much lower loss than your
      > standard
      > RG-58, especially in the 800MHz band. It would be sad to go through all the
      > hassle
      > of putting up a nice outdoor antenna, just to have the majority of the
      > improved signal
      > absorbed by the coax.
      >
      > > I am also looking for a book about antennas on a beginner level that could
      > help me
      > > understand things better. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > The are a LOT of basic antenna theory articles already on the web that I'm
      > sure can
      > help. Google is your friend. 8^)
      >
      > http://www.google.com/search?q=antenna+tutorial

    • Ed Cifelli
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
        Using the RG 6 will help a lot. Did you ask for the RG6  or just look where they keep the CB/scanner coax. If you looked for it, you wouldn't find it unless you went to the other side of the store where the TV stuff is kept. As the RG6 is used for satellite and cable tv, it would be over there. I have the big discone on a 20 foot mast and can hear car to car over 30 miles away. Surprised the daylights when I heard a transmission on a freq I knew to be c/c. Surprised me even more when I was able to ID the location.

        EdC

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 25, 2011
          In my many years of coax use especialy now with P25 systems the "ONLY" coax that hears all the local towers on the ILL Starcom 700/800 system without dropouts in decoding is "LMR400", it makes a world of difference.....

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
            I was looking at Radioshack where they kept the CB/scanner coax. I am a little surprised that you can use RG6, which brings me to my next question. If RG6 coax cable is 75 Ohm and RG58 is 50 Ohm will the Ohm difference in coax line cause any problems with the 50 Ohm Diamond SP1000 lightning arrestor? Does it really matter?

            Someone mentioned using "LMR400" coax line. I will look into that as well. I feel like it is a good idea to just buy the better coax line from the start than to continually upgrade…

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
              Many people, myself included, use RG6 without issue as long as you are
              receiving only. Ideally, you should use 50 ohm cable, but the RG6 does work.

              Joe M.

            • Mike, KD7MG
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
                Yeah, Joe's right. There will be a small amount of loss from the impedance
                mismatch, but the benefit of having less loss on the cable itself will far
                outweigh that. Net result, lowest loss and best reception compared to other
                coax cables in the ~.25" diameter range. If you avoid Radio Shack, you
                should be able to pick up some good quad-shielded RG-6 for around $0.15/ft,
                like from here...

                http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10216

                LMR400 is good too, but being ~.4" in diameter really puts it in a different
                class and price range. It also makes it heavier, harder to bend and route
                through tight places, and you'll also want to adapt it to a lighter coax
                anyway before connecting to your handheld scanner. (Can you spell broken
                SMA?) And at around $1/ft, LMR400 is also 6-7 times more expensive than the
                above RG-6 coax.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 27, 2011
                  That answers my question and I will end up using the RG6. I do need to route the cable through some tight spaces, and the last thing I want to do is break the scanner. Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 27, 2011
                    FWIW, putting the connectors on the quad shield rg6 may cause you to use words that are not normally in your vocabulary. Make sure you can do it before you run the coax.  Also, if you are  going to run it through a wall, see if you have a friend that  has a broken arrow. They are about the same size as the coax and make it a lot easier to get through a wall.

                    EdC