Re: [BC346XT] Re: Lightning Arrestors and Antennas?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
      I've been a fan of Diamond since I purchased the SRH 320. But, correct me if I'm wrong: 1:1 SWR is a perfect match load to impedance. Impossible to be "less than 1:1"?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 24, 2011, at 10:44 AM, "capt_clint" <capt_clint@...> wrote:

      > Not sure about arrestor, but Standing Wave Ratio(SWR) only applies if you transmit using this antenna, not receive. Therefore, it has no real significance. Likewise, most books deal with transmitting, not receiving. You can create a situation similar to SWR by using the wrong impedance coax cable. but this is very very minor since Scanners are really very broad in impedance range to begin with. I would not worry about the arrestor. Just get a good one(not the cheapest) that matches the cable and connectors.
      >
      > > I also had a question about SWR. Diamond had that listed as "less than 1:1". What does SWR stand for and how does that relate to the antenna and lightning arrestor? Why do you need an SWR meter to tune an antenna?

    • Mike, KD7MG
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
        > I recently purchased a Radioshack discone antenna that receives 50 - 1300
        MHz and a
        > Diamond SP1000 lightning arrestor. What does the frequency on the
        lightning arrestor
        > mean? Diamond listed on their website the frequency to be DC - 1000 MHz
        and it is
        > also written on the arrestor itself. What does the DC stand for and will
        this prevent me
        > from listening to VHF/UHF/800MHz Bands on this antenna if I install the
        SP1000?

        DC means Direct Current, or Zero MHz. So the arrester you bought covers
        anywhere
        from 0 to 1000 MHz. Above 1000 MHz the losses start going up, reducing the
        signal
        strength of what you are trying to listen to. It will work fine for
        VHF/UHF/800 MHz.

        BTW, that's a nice antenna for scanning. If you are going to roof mount it,
        just make
        sure your coax is not too lossy, especially at 800 MHz. I would highly
        recommend
        using RG-59, or even better, RG-6. It will have much lower loss than your
        standard
        RG-58, especially in the 800MHz band. It would be sad to go through all the
        hassle
        of putting up a nice outdoor antenna, just to have the majority of the
        improved signal
        absorbed by the coax.

        > I am also looking for a book about antennas on a beginner level that could
        help me
        > understand things better. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

        The are a LOT of basic antenna theory articles already on the web that I'm
        sure can
        help. Google is your friend. 8^)

        http://www.google.com/search?q=antenna+tutorial

      • xc_rage
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
          That answers my questions and I really appreciate the help. I am still pretty new to scanners and antennas. I did mount the antenna on the roof, and I was able to extend my range almost 50 miles using a PRO-107 scanner. I have been really impressed with Radioshack equipment so far. Unfortunately, the only cable Radioshack had at the time I purchased the antenna was 50' of RG-58 (the cheap stuff $19.99). I am looking into getting some RG-6, RG-8, or RG-59. Thanks again :=)

          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, KD7MG" <kd7mg@...> wrote:

          > > I recently purchased a Radioshack discone antenna that receives 50 - 1300
          > MHz and a
          > > Diamond SP1000 lightning arrestor. What does the frequency on the
          > lightning arrestor
          > > mean? Diamond listed on their website the frequency to be DC - 1000 MHz
          > and it is
          > > also written on the arrestor itself. What does the DC stand for and will
          > this prevent me
          > > from listening to VHF/UHF/800MHz Bands on this antenna if I install the
          > SP1000?
          >
          > DC means Direct Current, or Zero MHz. So the arrester you bought covers
          > anywhere
          > from 0 to 1000 MHz. Above 1000 MHz the losses start going up, reducing the
          > signal
          > strength of what you are trying to listen to. It will work fine for
          > VHF/UHF/800 MHz.
          >
          > BTW, that's a nice antenna for scanning. If you are going to roof mount it,
          > just make
          > sure your coax is not too lossy, especially at 800 MHz. I would highly
          > recommend
          > using RG-59, or even better, RG-6. It will have much lower loss than your
          > standard
          > RG-58, especially in the 800MHz band. It would be sad to go through all the
          > hassle
          > of putting up a nice outdoor antenna, just to have the majority of the
          > improved signal
          > absorbed by the coax.
          >
          > > I am also looking for a book about antennas on a beginner level that could
          > help me
          > > understand things better. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > The are a LOT of basic antenna theory articles already on the web that I'm
          > sure can
          > help. Google is your friend. 8^)
          >
          > http://www.google.com/search?q=antenna+tutorial

        • Ed Cifelli
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
            Using the RG 6 will help a lot. Did you ask for the RG6  or just look where they keep the CB/scanner coax. If you looked for it, you wouldn't find it unless you went to the other side of the store where the TV stuff is kept. As the RG6 is used for satellite and cable tv, it would be over there. I have the big discone on a 20 foot mast and can hear car to car over 30 miles away. Surprised the daylights when I heard a transmission on a freq I knew to be c/c. Surprised me even more when I was able to ID the location.

            EdC

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 25, 2011
              In my many years of coax use especialy now with P25 systems the "ONLY" coax that hears all the local towers on the ILL Starcom 700/800 system without dropouts in decoding is "LMR400", it makes a world of difference.....

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
                I was looking at Radioshack where they kept the CB/scanner coax. I am a little surprised that you can use RG6, which brings me to my next question. If RG6 coax cable is 75 Ohm and RG58 is 50 Ohm will the Ohm difference in coax line cause any problems with the 50 Ohm Diamond SP1000 lightning arrestor? Does it really matter?

                Someone mentioned using "LMR400" coax line. I will look into that as well. I feel like it is a good idea to just buy the better coax line from the start than to continually upgrade…

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
                  Many people, myself included, use RG6 without issue as long as you are
                  receiving only. Ideally, you should use 50 ohm cable, but the RG6 does work.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
                    Yeah, Joe's right. There will be a small amount of loss from the impedance
                    mismatch, but the benefit of having less loss on the cable itself will far
                    outweigh that. Net result, lowest loss and best reception compared to other
                    coax cables in the ~.25" diameter range. If you avoid Radio Shack, you
                    should be able to pick up some good quad-shielded RG-6 for around $0.15/ft,
                    like from here...

                    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10216

                    LMR400 is good too, but being ~.4" in diameter really puts it in a different
                    class and price range. It also makes it heavier, harder to bend and route
                    through tight places, and you'll also want to adapt it to a lighter coax
                    anyway before connecting to your handheld scanner. (Can you spell broken
                    SMA?) And at around $1/ft, LMR400 is also 6-7 times more expensive than the
                    above RG-6 coax.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 27, 2011
                      That answers my question and I will end up using the RG6. I do need to route the cable through some tight spaces, and the last thing I want to do is break the scanner. Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 27, 2011
                        FWIW, putting the connectors on the quad shield rg6 may cause you to use words that are not normally in your vocabulary. Make sure you can do it before you run the coax.  Also, if you are  going to run it through a wall, see if you have a friend that  has a broken arrow. They are about the same size as the coax and make it a lot easier to get through a wall.

                        EdC