Hanging issue

  • boinc99@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2011
      My 346XT has recently started hanging up on channels when scanning. I
      have checked everything I can think of, squelch, attenuator etc, even
      rebooted the scanner several times and still, it is hanging up on some
      channels when I'm in scan mode. Yes, I've locked those channels when it
      happens and it just finds another channel to hang up on; it's very
      annoying. It's as if I've turned on "hold". Can anyone suggest how to
      fix this? Please help!
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2011
        What are some of the frequencies involved?

        What is your exact squelch setting?

        Does it do this without the antenna connected?

        Joe M.

        boinc99@... wrote:
        > My 346XT has recently started hanging up on channels when scanning. I
        > have checked everything I can think of, squelch, attenuator etc, even
        > rebooted the scanner several times and still, it is hanging up on some
        > channels when I'm in scan mode. Yes, I've locked those channels when it
        > happens and it just finds another channel to hang up on; it's very
        > annoying. It's as if I've turned on "hold". Can anyone suggest how to
        > fix this? Please help!

      • Gus Oliver Davis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
          The frequencies are in the 800Mhz trunked Motorola range. When it "hangs" it's
          as if some user has an open keyed up mic. There's a soft hissing in the
          background.

          Squelch is set at 2, I've played with that setting to see if it has any effect..
          no, it doesn't stop the "hanging".
          When the antenas are disconected it does not hang up an any channels.
          Reception is very poor and choppy since the hanging issue began, they're related
          I'm sure. I live in a major metro area and reception has always been strong.
          I just turned on the scanner and recieved nothing for a few moments then some
          brief choppy conversation at 858.2625 then it hangs on that channel, no more
          scanning just hanging.

          I really hope my scanner is not dead but it's looking grim.

          ________________________________

          boinc99@... wrote:
          > My 346XT has recently started hanging up on channels when scanning. I
          > have checked everything I can think of, squelch, attenuator etc, even
          > rebooted the scanner several times and still, it is hanging up on some
          > channels when I'm in scan mode. Yes, I've locked those channels when it
          > happens and it just finds another channel to hang up on; it's very
          > annoying. It's as if I've turned on "hold". Can anyone suggest how to
          > fix this? Please help!

          >02:33:00

        • Mark Levine, D.C.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
            We've had a similar problem here in CT on several of the CSP sites. It's
            almost as if there is a low level carrier holding the squelch open following
            a transmission. Found that we needed to enable the End-code detection or
            perhaps disable it, I forget,

            doc

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
              It definitely sounds like you have a technical issue that needs
              addressed. Simply hanging can be many causes but hanging combined with
              lack of reception leads me to think it's an issue that needs addressed
              by a service shop - perhaps related to the CPU malfunctioning.

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
                It would have been: Enable end code detection.

                But in your case there wasn't the concurrent lack of reception, was
                there? (I'm assuming he was talking about lack of reception on the
                normal frequencies, and not just in general)

                Joe M.

              • Mark Levine, D.C.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
                  No the low level carrier would hang the scanner on the voice channel and
                  lose the CC. When locked on the low level carrier, the unit would not resume
                  unless done manually. If it was a busy site, random TG's would come through.

                  Only Uniden's were affected as far as I could tell from our CT group. GRE's
                  didn't seem sensitive to this issue. The carrier was always on the same site
                  and received at about 1/2 or less signal strength than the regular signal or
                  when a TG would come on.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
                    Did they ever fix that transmitter?

                    Joe M.

                    Mark Levine, D.C. wrote:
                    > No the low level carrier would hang the scanner on the voice channel and
                    > lose the CC. When locked on the low level carrier, the unit would not resume
                    > unless done manually. If it was a busy site, random TG's would come through.
                    >
                    > Only Uniden's were affected as far as I could tell from our CT group. GRE's
                    > didn't seem sensitive to this issue. The carrier was always on the same site
                    > and received at about 1/2 or less signal strength than the regular signal or
                    > when a TG would come on.

                  • Mark Levine, D.C.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 10, 2011
                      They eventually get around to it. Usually happens in the spring.