Re: [BC346XT] RE: New Scanner

  • Gus Oliver Davis
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
      The information I gave you was a little incomplete. If you're interested just go
      to scannermaster.com and scroll down to software/ Bearcat/ and the model no.
      BC346XT and you'll see ARC's software with a nice full product description.
      Radio Reference runs inside ARC. You will also need the correct USB cable to
      connect your scanner to your computer. When you get all this, you'll be running
      your scanner from your computer whenever you like. You can then keep or reject
      any channels to your liking. Yes, it does get a little expensive for all these
      accessories, I have spent hundreds of dollars on accessories for my BC346XT. I
      live in Portland, Or., which is a mid sized city that has not converted to
      digital so this little Uniden is quite potent here. Oh, I don't work for
      scannermaster, but they have worked well for me.

      ________________________________
      From: JAN FINE <jan_fine@...>
      Subject: [BC346XT] RE: New Scanner
      To: BC346XT@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, December 31, 2010, 10:57 PM

      The scanner comes programed with some of the most popular areas of the

      country.

      However if my memory is correct they are turned off. You must turn the

      quick keys on.

      I forgot if they were in the 20-29 or 60-69 quick keys. You will see an

      asterisk where there is something programed.

    • Gus Oliver Davis
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
        What is Uniden Home Patrol??

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
          www.homepatrol.com

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
            www.homepatrol.com

            ________________________________

            J. J. KF5HCV wrote:
            > After several days and no luck between two of us I took my scanner back. I
            >just don't think scanners has to be that complicated. I bought a scanner so my
            >wife could sit and enjoy it, not to spend days learning how to operate it. I
            >will shop around until I find something that is easier to operate. I am sure it

            >is a nice scanner but I did not realize the new ones was so hard to understand
            >and operate. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me. This seems like a great
            >
            >bunch of people. God Bless and have a great new year. JJ
            >
            > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie OConnor" <Maggie-o@...> wrote:
            >> I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are
            >>getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola
            >
            >>trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346
            >>
            >>- and he likes it - after I programmed it -
            >>

            >> The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be
            >>adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my
            >
            >>channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the
            >>trick anymore..
            >>

            >> But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without
            >>
            >>his easy to use manuals..

          • Maggie OConnor
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
              JJ - get a 245XLT off ebay.. it's easy to set up and use.. Not sure if anything can be downloaded from a computer - as I never tried - but you just need your local freq's and this can do analog and trunked stuff - very easily.. I felt the same way. I'm sure the 346 can do lots of cool stuff - but I didn't have the time to put into it either..
              I don't know what homepatrol is - I'll have to check it out..

              - Maggie

              J. J. KF5HCV wrote:
              > After several days and no luck between two of us I took my scanner back. I
              >just don't think scanners has to be that complicated. I bought a scanner so my
              >wife could sit and enjoy it, not to spend days learning how to operate it. I
              >will shop around until I find something that is easier to operate. I am sure it

              >is a nice scanner but I did not realize the new ones was so hard to understand
              >and operate. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me. This seems like a great
              >
              >bunch of people. God Bless and have a great new year. JJ
              >
              > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie OConnor" <Maggie-o@...> wrote:
              >> I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are
              >>getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola
              >
              >>trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346
              >>
              >>- and he likes it - after I programmed it -
              >>

              >> The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be
              >>adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my
              >
              >>channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the
              >>trick anymore..
              >>

              >> But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without
              >>
              >>his easy to use manuals..

            • AE5MH
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                I may add that if you get a scanner.. You need to do your homework.. if systems in your area are in the process of upgrading (cops, fire, Public service etc.. you need to know that to ensure your new scanner won’t be obsolete in a few months.. I personally would buy a scanner from a name brand that you know will support it.. (not clearance etc..).. be sure to check if they (PS agencies) are not changing modes or frequencies in the near future otherwise you’ll need a scanner that is flashable with new software allowing your scanner to go to the new frequencies..

                The whole flashable thing IMHO means that Uniden or GRE or others is more likely to support with software updates before Radio Shack or other “after marketers” will..