Re: [BC346XT] RE: New Scanner

  • BRAD WRIGHT
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
      Once you get the hang of it this scanner is the bomb!!!! I have never used any
      programming software, jusr my two hands..I'm old school like that. Half of the
      fun is in learning it and manually programming at least it is for me.

      ________________________________
      From: JAN FINE <jan_fine@...>
      Subject: [BC346XT] RE: New Scanner
      To: BC346XT@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, December 31, 2010, 10:57 PM

      The scanner comes programed with some of the most popular areas of the

      country.

      However if my memory is correct they are turned off. You must turn the

      quick keys on.

      I forgot if they were in the 20-29 or 60-69 quick keys. You will see an

      asterisk where there is something programed.

    • Maggie OConnor
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
        Johnny - go to here.. this will get you easily able to program in your local frequencies if you know what they are.. If not, do a google search for scanner frequencies then xxx for whatever town you live it. you will find what you need and Mark's pages will get them programmed for you. Sorry for my long message before!

        http://marksscanners.com/index.shtml

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
          These new scanner's may seem complex and they are in some ways but this is in
          response to the new technologies in radio. I hope you understand how our nation
          is converting to digital transmissions in the public service and other sectors
          and you need to know that you have an anologue scanner (the most powerful ever
          made available in the US) and if your location is broadcasting in the anologue
          format you will be able to recieve all thier transmissions in great detail with
          your BC 346 XT. Of course all radio reception is based on power of transmission
          and the antenna on your recieving end. Having said that, you really should
          download the ARC XT PRO for Uniden XT series. You can purchase a six month
          subscription for less than $15 and it will give you all the channels in your
          area for you to edit to your preferences and you just hit the upload to scanner
          button and that's it, couldn't be any sweeter. You may want to go to
          scannermaster.com and check out the large assortment of world class antenna's
          for your scanner. I have this scanner also and love the power it gives me.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
            Good for you "Brad Wright", your one of the few i have read on here that used his "HANDS" to learn the scanner...Its great fun dealing with the menu in this scanner and when its all up in your "noodle" you can program any of the Uniden scanners at home or in the mobile...Im not saying "software' is not good but knowledge of the scanner in hand is BEST...Congratulations Brad and Happy NewYear to all the great people on these boards who have taught me alot....PS: Especially "Marks-Scanners easy to use manuals, he is the GEREATEST...

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
              I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346 - and he likes it - after I programmed it -

              The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the trick anymore..

              But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without his easy to use manuals..

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
                Hi Gus - this actually sounds very interesting.. Does it wipe out what's already in there, like things I have hand programmed? I'm sure there are more channels in my area than I know about - although I have most of them, and they seem to have been pretty static for a long time... However it's good to know about this - and it's certainly cheap enough..
                I have tried different antenna's.. I'd need a roof antenna in order to get the transmissions I really want. I have a few bigger indoor antenna's but they don't make much difference.. It IS true that the newer scanners seem to pick up a little better.. not sure if they have more antennas inside them, or if parts wear out - or what..

                Thanks..

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                  After several days and no luck between two of us I took my scanner back. I just don't think scanners has to be that complicated. I bought a scanner so my wife could sit and enjoy it, not to spend days learning how to operate it. I will shop around until I find something that is easier to operate. I am sure it is a nice scanner but I did not realize the new ones was so hard to understand and operate. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me. This seems like a great bunch of people. God Bless and have a great new year. JJ

                  --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie OConnor" <Maggie-o@...> wrote:

                  > I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346 - and he likes it - after I programmed it -
                  >
                  > The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the trick anymore..
                  >
                  > But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without his easy to use manuals..

                • Mark Levine, D.C.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                    Buy the new Homepatrol

                    www.homepatrol.com you'll have it up and running in minutes.

                    ML

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Sounds like you need a Uniden HomePatrol.
                      Enter zip code and you're done.

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                        The information I gave you was a little incomplete. If you're interested just go
                        to scannermaster.com and scroll down to software/ Bearcat/ and the model no.
                        BC346XT and you'll see ARC's software with a nice full product description.
                        Radio Reference runs inside ARC. You will also need the correct USB cable to
                        connect your scanner to your computer. When you get all this, you'll be running
                        your scanner from your computer whenever you like. You can then keep or reject
                        any channels to your liking. Yes, it does get a little expensive for all these
                        accessories, I have spent hundreds of dollars on accessories for my BC346XT. I
                        live in Portland, Or., which is a mid sized city that has not converted to
                        digital so this little Uniden is quite potent here. Oh, I don't work for
                        scannermaster, but they have worked well for me.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                          What is Uniden Home Patrol??

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                            www.homepatrol.com

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                              www.homepatrol.com

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                                JJ - get a 245XLT off ebay.. it's easy to set up and use.. Not sure if anything can be downloaded from a computer - as I never tried - but you just need your local freq's and this can do analog and trunked stuff - very easily.. I felt the same way. I'm sure the 346 can do lots of cool stuff - but I didn't have the time to put into it either..
                                I don't know what homepatrol is - I'll have to check it out..

                                - Maggie

                                J. J. KF5HCV wrote:
                                > After several days and no luck between two of us I took my scanner back. I
                                >just don't think scanners has to be that complicated. I bought a scanner so my
                                >wife could sit and enjoy it, not to spend days learning how to operate it. I
                                >will shop around until I find something that is easier to operate. I am sure it

                                >is a nice scanner but I did not realize the new ones was so hard to understand
                                >and operate. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me. This seems like a great
                                >
                                >bunch of people. God Bless and have a great new year. JJ
                                >
                                > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie OConnor" <Maggie-o@...> wrote:
                                >> I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are
                                >>getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola
                                >
                                >>trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346
                                >>
                                >>- and he likes it - after I programmed it -
                                >>

                                >> The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be
                                >>adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my
                                >
                                >>channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the
                                >>trick anymore..
                                >>

                                >> But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without
                                >>
                                >>his easy to use manuals..

                              • AE5MH
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                                  I may add that if you get a scanner.. You need to do your homework.. if systems in your area are in the process of upgrading (cops, fire, Public service etc.. you need to know that to ensure your new scanner won’t be obsolete in a few months.. I personally would buy a scanner from a name brand that you know will support it.. (not clearance etc..).. be sure to check if they (PS agencies) are not changing modes or frequencies in the near future otherwise you’ll need a scanner that is flashable with new software allowing your scanner to go to the new frequencies..

                                  The whole flashable thing IMHO means that Uniden or GRE or others is more likely to support with software updates before Radio Shack or other “after marketers” will..