Re: [BC346XT] RE: New Scanner

  • JOHNNY cHANCELLOR
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
      Jan mine has Atlanta and Houston but I do not need any of them. I can pick up
      some in Houston but what I want is to program my town and the surrounding towns
      in it. These are all small towns that would not be preprogrammed on any scanner.
      My Niece is a pretty smart gal and she has been working on it for several hours
      but has not got the freescan to download any thing yet. I am wishing now that I
      had not bought it. It seems to be more trouble than it is worth. I just wanted
      to buy my wife a nice scanner for her Birthday.
       Happy New Year to you and to everyone here. Life is good.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
        Once you get the hang of it this scanner is the bomb!!!! I have never used any
        programming software, jusr my two hands..I'm old school like that. Half of the
        fun is in learning it and manually programming at least it is for me.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
          Johnny - go to here.. this will get you easily able to program in your local frequencies if you know what they are.. If not, do a google search for scanner frequencies then xxx for whatever town you live it. you will find what you need and Mark's pages will get them programmed for you. Sorry for my long message before!

          http://marksscanners.com/index.shtml

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
            These new scanner's may seem complex and they are in some ways but this is in
            response to the new technologies in radio. I hope you understand how our nation
            is converting to digital transmissions in the public service and other sectors
            and you need to know that you have an anologue scanner (the most powerful ever
            made available in the US) and if your location is broadcasting in the anologue
            format you will be able to recieve all thier transmissions in great detail with
            your BC 346 XT. Of course all radio reception is based on power of transmission
            and the antenna on your recieving end. Having said that, you really should
            download the ARC XT PRO for Uniden XT series. You can purchase a six month
            subscription for less than $15 and it will give you all the channels in your
            area for you to edit to your preferences and you just hit the upload to scanner
            button and that's it, couldn't be any sweeter. You may want to go to
            scannermaster.com and check out the large assortment of world class antenna's
            for your scanner. I have this scanner also and love the power it gives me.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
              Good for you "Brad Wright", your one of the few i have read on here that used his "HANDS" to learn the scanner...Its great fun dealing with the menu in this scanner and when its all up in your "noodle" you can program any of the Uniden scanners at home or in the mobile...Im not saying "software' is not good but knowledge of the scanner in hand is BEST...Congratulations Brad and Happy NewYear to all the great people on these boards who have taught me alot....PS: Especially "Marks-Scanners easy to use manuals, he is the GEREATEST...

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
                I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346 - and he likes it - after I programmed it -

                The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the trick anymore..

                But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without his easy to use manuals..

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
                  Hi Gus - this actually sounds very interesting.. Does it wipe out what's already in there, like things I have hand programmed? I'm sure there are more channels in my area than I know about - although I have most of them, and they seem to have been pretty static for a long time... However it's good to know about this - and it's certainly cheap enough..
                  I have tried different antenna's.. I'd need a roof antenna in order to get the transmissions I really want. I have a few bigger indoor antenna's but they don't make much difference.. It IS true that the newer scanners seem to pick up a little better.. not sure if they have more antennas inside them, or if parts wear out - or what..

                  Thanks..

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                    After several days and no luck between two of us I took my scanner back. I just don't think scanners has to be that complicated. I bought a scanner so my wife could sit and enjoy it, not to spend days learning how to operate it. I will shop around until I find something that is easier to operate. I am sure it is a nice scanner but I did not realize the new ones was so hard to understand and operate. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me. This seems like a great bunch of people. God Bless and have a great new year. JJ

                    --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie OConnor" <Maggie-o@...> wrote:

                    > I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346 - and he likes it - after I programmed it -
                    >
                    > The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the trick anymore..
                    >
                    > But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without his easy to use manuals..

                  • Mark Levine, D.C.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Buy the new Homepatrol

                      www.homepatrol.com you'll have it up and running in minutes.

                      ML

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                        Sounds like you need a Uniden HomePatrol.
                        Enter zip code and you're done.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                          The information I gave you was a little incomplete. If you're interested just go
                          to scannermaster.com and scroll down to software/ Bearcat/ and the model no.
                          BC346XT and you'll see ARC's software with a nice full product description.
                          Radio Reference runs inside ARC. You will also need the correct USB cable to
                          connect your scanner to your computer. When you get all this, you'll be running
                          your scanner from your computer whenever you like. You can then keep or reject
                          any channels to your liking. Yes, it does get a little expensive for all these
                          accessories, I have spent hundreds of dollars on accessories for my BC346XT. I
                          live in Portland, Or., which is a mid sized city that has not converted to
                          digital so this little Uniden is quite potent here. Oh, I don't work for
                          scannermaster, but they have worked well for me.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                            What is Uniden Home Patrol??

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                              www.homepatrol.com

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                                www.homepatrol.com

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                                  JJ - get a 245XLT off ebay.. it's easy to set up and use.. Not sure if anything can be downloaded from a computer - as I never tried - but you just need your local freq's and this can do analog and trunked stuff - very easily.. I felt the same way. I'm sure the 346 can do lots of cool stuff - but I didn't have the time to put into it either..
                                  I don't know what homepatrol is - I'll have to check it out..

                                  - Maggie

                                  J. J. KF5HCV wrote:
                                  > After several days and no luck between two of us I took my scanner back. I
                                  >just don't think scanners has to be that complicated. I bought a scanner so my
                                  >wife could sit and enjoy it, not to spend days learning how to operate it. I
                                  >will shop around until I find something that is easier to operate. I am sure it

                                  >is a nice scanner but I did not realize the new ones was so hard to understand
                                  >and operate. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me. This seems like a great
                                  >
                                  >bunch of people. God Bless and have a great new year. JJ
                                  >
                                  > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie OConnor" <Maggie-o@...> wrote:
                                  >> I agree - I have always hand programmed my scanners too - but things are
                                  >>getting more complex out there - I'm lucky my area is still analog and motorola
                                  >
                                  >>trunked - so I am okay with this scanner.. my husband uses the new one - the 346
                                  >>
                                  >>- and he likes it - after I programmed it -
                                  >>

                                  >> The biggest issue I had with it was the screen display size (which might be
                                  >>adjustable) and that I would have wanted to program more into it to "number" my
                                  >
                                  >>channels, etc.. but I'm sure there will come a time when my 245 won't do the
                                  >>trick anymore..
                                  >>

                                  >> But I agree - Hat's off to Mark-Scanners - I would be dead in the water without
                                  >>
                                  >>his easy to use manuals..

                                • AE5MH
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                                    I may add that if you get a scanner.. You need to do your homework.. if systems in your area are in the process of upgrading (cops, fire, Public service etc.. you need to know that to ensure your new scanner won’t be obsolete in a few months.. I personally would buy a scanner from a name brand that you know will support it.. (not clearance etc..).. be sure to check if they (PS agencies) are not changing modes or frequencies in the near future otherwise you’ll need a scanner that is flashable with new software allowing your scanner to go to the new frequencies..

                                    The whole flashable thing IMHO means that Uniden or GRE or others is more likely to support with software updates before Radio Shack or other “after marketers” will..