Re: [BC346XT] Hello

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2010
      I think just about everyone here on the group would say the same. Get the ARC-XT software from Butel and a paid premium membership to Radio Reference.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 28, 2010
        FREESCAN.COM its a great program & its FREE !!!

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 28, 2010
          what all will I end up with on my scanner if I download a program? and will it interfere with me receiving local frequencies? Like I said I am new at scanners and don't want to download so much that I don't get what I am looking for and that is mostly channels in my area plus some ham. I guess there is a way to only scan what I want to.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 28, 2010
            If you only want to receive local frequencies, then you likely will not
            need software. Just look up your area on www.radioreference.com and
            program your scanner manually.

            Software will not interfere with your ability to receive anything. It is
            simply a utility to allow you to program your scanner with a PC.

            Now, it is possible that using software if you keep dumping things into
            your scanner you could attempt to listen to more than you want - missing
            some local communications. Of course, the same would happen if you
            programmed too much manually, too.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 28, 2010
              Thanks Joe, there gives me a little better understanding of how it works. JJ

              > If you only want to receive local frequencies, then you likely will not
              > need software. Just look up your area on www.radioreference.com and
              > program your scanner manually.
              >
              > Software will not interfere with your ability to receive anything. It is
              > simply a utility to allow you to program your scanner with a PC.
              >
              > Now, it is possible that using software if you keep dumping things into
              > your scanner you could attempt to listen to more than you want - missing
              > some local communications. Of course, the same would happen if you
              > programmed too much manually, too.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > J. J. KF5HCV wrote:
              > > what all will I end up with on my scanner if I download a program? and will it interfere with me receiving local frequencies? Like I said I am new at scanners and don't want to download so much that I don't get what I am looking for and that is mostly channels in my area plus some ham. I guess there is a way to only scan what I want to.

            • E J Skidmore
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                A no cost programing option that works great for me is Freescan.

                I use Freescan with the Radio Reference data .

                1. Create the system and group you need.

                2. Locate the data in Radio Reference that you want to use to populate
                your group. Highlight that data and copy it to the clipboard.

                3. Open the group you want to populate in Freescan. Then open EZ-grab
                in that group.

                4. Click "Copy fron Clipboard" in the EZ-Grab screen. Using the
                dropdowns assure that the data you want has the proper column headings.

                5. Click "Import into Freescan"

                6. Close the EX-Grab screen. Your group is now populated.

                It is more difficult that a direct import but it works.

                Freescan is available here: http://scannow.org/index.htm

                flagban5

              • J. J. KF5HCV
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                  Another question. Is the 346XT to much for a beginner or can it be conquered by just about anyone? A little late to ask that question since mine is on the way now.

                  --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "J. J. KF5HCV" <txtruker@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Joe, there gives me a little better understanding of how it works. JJ
                  >
                  > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > If you only want to receive local frequencies, then you likely will not
                  > > need software. Just look up your area on www.radioreference.com and
                  > > program your scanner manually.
                  > >
                  > > Software will not interfere with your ability to receive anything. It is
                  > > simply a utility to allow you to program your scanner with a PC.
                  > >
                  > > Now, it is possible that using software if you keep dumping things into
                  > > your scanner you could attempt to listen to more than you want - missing
                  > > some local communications. Of course, the same would happen if you
                  > > programmed too much manually, too.
                  > >
                  > > Joe M.
                  > >
                  > > J. J. KF5HCV wrote:
                  > > > what all will I end up with on my scanner if I download a program? and will it interfere with me receiving local frequencies? Like I said I am new at scanners and don't want to download so much that I don't get what I am looking for and that is mostly channels in my area plus some ham. I guess there is a way to only scan what I want to.

                • Doc
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                    Free version or buy?? Doc
                    I think just about everyone here on the group would say the same. Get the ARC-XT software from Butel and a paid premium membership to Radio Reference.
                    Hi everyone, I am new here and with scanners. I have ordered a BC346XT scanner and it should be here by the end of the week or early next week. I have heard so many negative stories about programming it and some say it can not be programmed manually. I hope to learn more about this unit and what I need to be aware of plus how to operate it the easiest way possible. Thanks JJ

                  • Mark Levine, D.C.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                      Neither use Freescan

                      Dr. Mark

                      > I think just about everyone here on the group would say the same. Get the
                      > ARC-XT software from Butel and a paid premium membership to Radio
                      > Reference.

                    • Doc
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                        Thanks that was my next question. How good is the Freescan? Doc
                        > I think just about everyone here on the group would say the same. Get the
                        > ARC-XT software from Butel and a paid premium membership to Radio
                        > Reference.

                      • Mark Levine, D.C.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                          Try both and decide. I believe Butel has a limited demo and Freescan is
                          completely free.

                          > Thanks that was my next question. How good is the Freescan? Doc

                        • Sam Smith
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 29, 2010
                            It works great for me. I highly recommend it.
                            Sam