Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

  • shaft_2k3
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
      Are these all the features for the new 396, or just some of the big
      features? On another forum, someone mentioned if radio ID's would be
      available, also what about a discriminator tap, or perhaps GPS
      support?

      <snip>

      > The BCD396XT will provide the same enhancements to Uniden's Trunk
      > Tracker IV flagship handheld platform. In addition, this new model
      adds:

      > § Trunk Tracker IV – follows trunked traffic on APCO 25,
      > Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using
      ESK)

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
        These are the features that are added to the BC246T. GPS support is included (as mentioned in the announcement) as is control channel data output w/o tap.

        Are these all the features for the new 396, or just some of the big
        features? On another forum, someone mentioned if radio ID's would be
        available, also what about a discriminator tap, or perhaps GPS
        support?

        <snip>

        > The BCD396XT will provide the same enhancements to Uniden's Trunk
        > Tracker IV flagship handheld platform. In addition, this new model
        adds:

        > � Trunk Tracker IV � follows trunked traffic on APCO 25,
        > Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using
        ESK)

        > � 25,000 total channels
        >
        > � NAC Decoding � allows specific agencies to be monitored
        > on P25 conventional channels
        >
        > � P25 One-Channel Trunking � supports P25 conventional
        > systems that include both NAC and TGID access control on a single
        > frequency
        >
        > � Automatic P25 Threshold � fully automates the
        > optimization of P25 reception
        >
        > � Multicolor Display Backlight � allows the selection of
        > backlight color to meet the user's own aesthetic taste
        >
        > � Visual Alert Notification � lets alerts be assigned to
        > specific display colors, flash patterns, audible tones, and volume
        > levels.
        >
        > Both models are expected to be released in early 2009 at prices
        > comparable to the models being replaced.
        >

        > * These models are still under development, so all features are
        subject
        > to modification or removal based on actual development and testing
        > results. No statement in this press release should be considered
        as a
        > promise to deliver or guarantee of performance.

      • Ron H.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
          If this is what you think is going to hear alot of radio traffic,
          then forget it, Handheld scanners with a rubber ducky antenna can not
          hear as well as a Base Scanner, with an external antenna, trust me on
          this, where is my Handheld, sitting in my radio room conected to an
          outside antenna, doing quite well, thankyou, but Mobil/Base scanners
          work the best.
          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

          > These are the features that are added to the BC246T. GPS support is
          included (as mentioned in the announcement) as is control channel
          data output w/o tap.

          Handheld Scanners

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
            True, but the GPS feature will still be useful if you have your scanner
            in the car. You won't have to keep enabling/disabling SQKs as you drive
            around.

            Joe M.

          • Ron Handke
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
              I also like new ways to do things, but to tell the truth, using the GPS feature with my 996, was not what I thought it should be, keep in mind that some of the radio traffic will shift to another tower that may be set just outside the GPS settings, guess what I am saying is that maybe a great feature for the Mobil/Base, but as for a Handheld, ???,� I hope that others want the latest, then just maybe I can purchase another older 996 at a much reduced cost, which I would do.� What Uniden is preaching, really will not cause me to spend $500.00.�� Think about how you will set this up, what Uniden really needs to do is re-design the discriminator circuit, to help with the clarity of the voice.� But maybe this is a Motorola problem where I am at.� Just thoughts, and depends on where you live, but out here in the Corn Fields, there are local depts. that have no plans to scrap there old VHF/UHF analog systems, as they work.�

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
                Threaded...

                Ron Handke wrote:
                > I also like new ways to do things, but to tell the truth, using the GPS feature with my 996, was not what I thought it should be, keep in mind that some of the radio traffic will shift to another tower that may be set just outside the GPS settings,

                Then increase the radius on the settings.

                > guess what I am saying is that maybe a great feature for the Mobil/Base, but as for a Handheld, ???,

                I understand. But, I frequently use my 396 in the truck.

                > I hope that others want the latest, then just maybe I can purchase another older 996 at a much reduced cost, which I would do. What Uniden is preaching, really will not cause me to spend $500.00.

                I don't think they expect everyone to dump their 396 for a 396XT.

                > Think about how you will set this up, what Uniden really needs to do is re-design the discriminator circuit, to help with the clarity of the voice. But maybe this is a Motorola problem where I am at.

                Must be. Mine is very clear.

                > Just thoughts, and depends on where you live, but out here in the Corn Fields, there are local depts. that have no plans to scrap there old VHF/UHF analog systems, as they work.

                Then maybe the 346 is the better choice for you. (and you're on the
                right list)

                Joe M.
              • red84vette_mike
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2008
                  Thanks to Uniden for including the new features. I will enjoy the ESK
                  support and location-based scanning.

                  Mike