USB or serial data cable

  • AE5MH
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2010
      Does anyone actually use the GPS function of this unit? I'm debating to buy
      either the USB or serial data cable. Unless I use my old GPS-18 for the
      scanner, I see no point in getting the serial version as the USB cable would
      be much easier wouldn't it? Naturally eliminating the necessity of adding
      yet something else (USB to serial adapter).

      Please advise.

      AE5MH

      Mark

    • BILL
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2010
        It sounds easy but I have not even regestered the sereal number or have no idea about the support for this radio.

        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "kayi4cle" <kayi4cle@...> wrote:

        > Easy!! After programming the talkgroup IDs that you want to hear, choose the Scan option (rather than the Search option), and it will only scan the IDs you entered.
        >

        > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "BILL" <macnortheast@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I HAVE JUST ADDED ALL THE "TRUNKED" FREQUS TO THE NEW RADIO. i AM SURE THAT i WILL BE GETTING MORE THAN JUST THE pd,fire,ems ON THE RADIO. I KNOW THAT PUBLIC WORKS ALSO IS RUNNING ON THE CITY'S TRUNKED SYSTEM.
        > >
        > > HOW DO I ASSIGN THE PD,FIRE,EMS ONLY TAGS TO THE RADIO??? THE FREQUS ARE FOUND FOR PORTLAND MAINE IF YOU GOOGLE. THERE IS A SITE CALLED "SCAN PORTLAND MAINE" THEY HAVE TAGS LISTED ON THE SITE BUT i HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ADD THE TAGS.
        > >
        > > I CAN HEAR ALL PD AND FIRE, EMS NOW, BUT AM WORIED ABOUT ALL THE OTHER STUFF AS OF MONDAY MORNING WHEN THE OTHER AGENCIES "PARKING CONTROL PW" START WORK.
        > >
        > > I GOTTA SAY, YOU NEED TO BE SAVY TO PROGRAM THIS RADIO !!!!!!!! ITS NOT LIKE THE OLDER ONES I HAVE HERE. WE DON'T HAVE DIGITAL SERVICE ITS A MOTOROLA 800 TRUNKED SYSTEM.
        > >
        > > Any HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED...
        > >
        > > THANKS BILL...

      • kayi4cle
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
          I program mine manually, so I'm sorry if my response wasn't helpful. Other than the Yahoo groups, Uniden actively supports its radios through the Forums at Radio Reference. And there are also state forums there where you might find others in your area who can answer specific questions about the systems you are interested in. Here is a good place to begin and it has links to a couple versions of the Owners Manual. Good luck and happy scanning!

          http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC346XT

          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "BILL" <macnortheast@...> wrote:

          > It sounds easy but I have not even regestered the sereal number or have no idea about the support for this radio.
          >
          > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "kayi4cle" <kayi4cle@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Easy!! After programming the talkgroup IDs that you want to hear, choose the Scan option (rather than the Search option), and it will only scan the IDs you entered.
          > >

          > > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "BILL" <macnortheast@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I HAVE JUST ADDED ALL THE "TRUNKED" FREQUS TO THE NEW RADIO. i AM SURE THAT i WILL BE GETTING MORE THAN JUST THE pd,fire,ems ON THE RADIO. I KNOW THAT PUBLIC WORKS ALSO IS RUNNING ON THE CITY'S TRUNKED SYSTEM.
          > > >
          > > > HOW DO I ASSIGN THE PD,FIRE,EMS ONLY TAGS TO THE RADIO??? THE FREQUS ARE FOUND FOR PORTLAND MAINE IF YOU GOOGLE. THERE IS A SITE CALLED "SCAN PORTLAND MAINE" THEY HAVE TAGS LISTED ON THE SITE BUT i HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ADD THE TAGS.
          > > >
          > > > I CAN HEAR ALL PD AND FIRE, EMS NOW, BUT AM WORIED ABOUT ALL THE OTHER STUFF AS OF MONDAY MORNING WHEN THE OTHER AGENCIES "PARKING CONTROL PW" START WORK.
          > > >
          > > > I GOTTA SAY, YOU NEED TO BE SAVY TO PROGRAM THIS RADIO !!!!!!!! ITS NOT LIKE THE OLDER ONES I HAVE HERE. WE DON'T HAVE DIGITAL SERVICE ITS A MOTOROLA 800 TRUNKED SYSTEM.
          > > >
          > > > Any HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED...
          > > >
          > > > THANKS BILL...

        • Don Clark
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
            I would think you would want an USB cable.
            The main reason for a GPS input, is to turn on and off different
            systems and or channels as you drove around the state. I thought
            about it, but decided against it, as what I listen to does not need
            to change that often, I change it manually when needed.

            At Sunday, 17 October 2010, you wrote:

            >Does anyone actually use the GPS function of this unit? I'm debating
            to buy
            >either the USB or serial data cable. Unless I use my old GPS-18
            for the
            >scanner, I see no point in getting the serial version as the USB
            cable would
            >be much easier wouldn't it? Naturally eliminating the necessity
            of adding
            >yet something else (USB to serial adapter).
            >
            >Please advise.
            >
            >AE5MH
            >
            >Mark

            Don