Re: Hello to the group

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
      You can also try www.marksscanners.com and follow the 396t "easy to program" , its just about the same programming....Its a fantastic analog scanner, once you learn it you can program it in the dark!!....

      --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "WA3FKG" <wa3fkg@...> wrote:

      > Greetings from Oakmont Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, where I
      > have just purchased a used BC346XT. This is my first Uniden radio with
      > the dynamic memory system and I have to say even though I usually pick
      > up a new scanner and fudge my way through the basic functions without
      > ever opening the manual this one has me scratching my head just a
      > little.
      > I did not get the CD with the radio that contains the manual so I have
      > been looking at it on line at Uniden's site. Problem is it has been
      > difficult for me to sit at my computer when I have time to tinker with
      > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
      > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up with
      > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
      > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
      > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
      > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio by
      > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I have a
      > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my fingers
      > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder for
      > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it
      > provides.

    • miriamfrank
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2010
        Hi there - I feel a lot like the person below from PA - I have programmed other scanners and am having issues with this one.. MarkScanners helped me a lot so far, and your/his manaual in "files" is 100 times better than the CD, so thanks for letting me know about that. I am managing to program a group of convention channels, so far, althouh it's tedious. I would like to be able to assign numbers to certain individual entries, like a freq for "sprinfield fire" or something - can I go back and do that with the number tag thing? It sure seems like a lot of steps to get these entered. Also - I am not doing well with the squelch setting - but I did just see some option that seems to set it for you?? Not sure about that.

        Then I will program in my trunk group - I wonder if I should put in the talk groups I know or let it search? My old scanner I put in the talk groups, but if I wanted it to search instead, I just pushed a "search" button..

        Also - I see people connecting to their computers.. what for? Can you download sets of freq's and/or trunk info?

        Is there any way to copy the stuff I have on my 245 XLT to my 346 XLT??

        Thanks, in advance, for your help. I know my id says Miriam - but I am Maggie - either way.. thanks for any advice anyone can give me.. I didn't want it to take three years to set this thing up!!!

        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "WA3FKG" <wa3fkg@...> wrote:

        > Greetings from Oakmont Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, where I
        > have just purchased a used BC346XT. This is my first Uniden radio with
        > the dynamic memory system and I have to say even though I usually pick
        > up a new scanner and fudge my way through the basic functions without
        > ever opening the manual this one has me scratching my head just a
        > little.
        > I did not get the CD with the radio that contains the manual so I have
        > been looking at it on line at Uniden's site. Problem is it has been
        > difficult for me to sit at my computer when I have time to tinker with
        > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
        > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up with
        > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
        > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
        > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
        > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio by
        > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I have a
        > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my fingers
        > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder for
        > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it
        > provides.

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
          There is a learning curve for the DMA scanners from the bank type of scanners.
          If you obtain the freescan program and get a six month subscription to
          http://radioreference.com
          you can use freescan to download the systems you want to scan from the
          radioreference web site to your radio.

          --
          Best Regards, Keith
          http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/

> [...]
          > with
          > > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
          > > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up
          > with
          > > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
          > > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
          > > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
          > > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio
          > by
          > > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I
          > have a
          > > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my
          > fingers
          > > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder
          > for
          > > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it

        • Ken Sprouse
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
            On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM, dataman60435 <dataman60435@...>wrote:

            > You can also try www.marksscanners.com and follow the 396t "easy to
            > program" , its just about the same programming....Its a fantastic analog
            > scanner, once you learn it you can program it in the dark!!....
            >
            > I will go check it out. So far I am very impressed with this scanner
            although I'm still fumbling around with the programming. I have ordered a
            USB cable for it and plan to load it up via software but I still want to
            know how to make rapid changes in the field by hand. Many thanks for the
            pointer.

            --
            Ken Sprouse / WA3FKG John 3:16 http://wa3fkg.blogspot.com
            You meet the nicest people at a TEA Party.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
              Thanks to all of you for your help. I will get this subscription and I'm learning how to program - thanks to MarkScanners!! Am away so can't write more now - but thank you all.
              Maggie
> [...]

              > with
              > > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
              > > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up
              > with
              > > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
              > > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
              > > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
              > > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio
              > by
              > > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I
              > have a
              > > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my
              > fingers
              > > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder
              > for
              > > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it

            • miriamfrank
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
                thanks to you all - I'm away right now, but want to try your suggestions and I will get that membership too. Also, thanks to MarkScanners for his help too. I have manged to program some conventional channels and a trunked set also - but still feel like I'm fumbling around and it's taking forever!! with your help I'll get there! of course for us older folks, this screen is a little harder to read than my 245 also!! guess I need to wear my glasses!! Thanks.. I'm sure I'll need more help when I get back to it!
                - Maggie