Hello to the group

  • WA3FKG
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2010
      Greetings from Oakmont Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, where I
      have just purchased a used BC346XT. This is my first Uniden radio with
      the dynamic memory system and I have to say even though I usually pick
      up a new scanner and fudge my way through the basic functions without
      ever opening the manual this one has me scratching my head just a
      little.
      I did not get the CD with the radio that contains the manual so I have
      been looking at it on line at Uniden's site. Problem is it has been
      difficult for me to sit at my computer when I have time to tinker with
      the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
      number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up with
      what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
      The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
      ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
      package since even though I want to know how to program the radio by
      hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I have a
      computer available that will make the job much easier on both my fingers
      and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder for
      the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it
      provides.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2010
        You can also try www.marksscanners.com and follow the 396t "easy to program" , its just about the same programming....Its a fantastic analog scanner, once you learn it you can program it in the dark!!....

        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "WA3FKG" <wa3fkg@...> wrote:

        > Greetings from Oakmont Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, where I
        > have just purchased a used BC346XT. This is my first Uniden radio with
        > the dynamic memory system and I have to say even though I usually pick
        > up a new scanner and fudge my way through the basic functions without
        > ever opening the manual this one has me scratching my head just a
        > little.
        > I did not get the CD with the radio that contains the manual so I have
        > been looking at it on line at Uniden's site. Problem is it has been
        > difficult for me to sit at my computer when I have time to tinker with
        > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
        > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up with
        > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
        > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
        > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
        > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio by
        > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I have a
        > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my fingers
        > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder for
        > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it
        > provides.

      • miriamfrank
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2010
          Hi there - I feel a lot like the person below from PA - I have programmed other scanners and am having issues with this one.. MarkScanners helped me a lot so far, and your/his manaual in "files" is 100 times better than the CD, so thanks for letting me know about that. I am managing to program a group of convention channels, so far, althouh it's tedious. I would like to be able to assign numbers to certain individual entries, like a freq for "sprinfield fire" or something - can I go back and do that with the number tag thing? It sure seems like a lot of steps to get these entered. Also - I am not doing well with the squelch setting - but I did just see some option that seems to set it for you?? Not sure about that.

          Then I will program in my trunk group - I wonder if I should put in the talk groups I know or let it search? My old scanner I put in the talk groups, but if I wanted it to search instead, I just pushed a "search" button..

          Also - I see people connecting to their computers.. what for? Can you download sets of freq's and/or trunk info?

          Is there any way to copy the stuff I have on my 245 XLT to my 346 XLT??

          Thanks, in advance, for your help. I know my id says Miriam - but I am Maggie - either way.. thanks for any advice anyone can give me.. I didn't want it to take three years to set this thing up!!!

          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "WA3FKG" <wa3fkg@...> wrote:

          > Greetings from Oakmont Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, where I
          > have just purchased a used BC346XT. This is my first Uniden radio with
          > the dynamic memory system and I have to say even though I usually pick
          > up a new scanner and fudge my way through the basic functions without
          > ever opening the manual this one has me scratching my head just a
          > little.
          > I did not get the CD with the radio that contains the manual so I have
          > been looking at it on line at Uniden's site. Problem is it has been
          > difficult for me to sit at my computer when I have time to tinker with
          > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
          > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up with
          > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
          > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
          > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
          > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio by
          > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I have a
          > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my fingers
          > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder for
          > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it
          > provides.

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
            There is a learning curve for the DMA scanners from the bank type of scanners.
            If you obtain the freescan program and get a six month subscription to
            http://radioreference.com
            you can use freescan to download the systems you want to scan from the
            radioreference web site to your radio.

            --
            Best Regards, Keith
            http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/

> [...]
            > with
            > > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
            > > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up
            > with
            > > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
            > > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
            > > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
            > > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio
            > by
            > > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I
            > have a
            > > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my
            > fingers
            > > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder
            > for
            > > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it

          • Ken Sprouse
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
              On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM, dataman60435 <dataman60435@...>wrote:

              > You can also try www.marksscanners.com and follow the 396t "easy to
              > program" , its just about the same programming....Its a fantastic analog
              > scanner, once you learn it you can program it in the dark!!....
              >
              > I will go check it out. So far I am very impressed with this scanner
              although I'm still fumbling around with the programming. I have ordered a
              USB cable for it and plan to load it up via software but I still want to
              know how to make rapid changes in the field by hand. Many thanks for the
              pointer.

              --
              Ken Sprouse / WA3FKG John 3:16 http://wa3fkg.blogspot.com
              You meet the nicest people at a TEA Party.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
                Thanks to all of you for your help. I will get this subscription and I'm learning how to program - thanks to MarkScanners!! Am away so can't write more now - but thank you all.
                Maggie
> [...]

                > with
                > > the new toy. I searched for the manual in PDF format being given a
                > > number of pointers to file sections here on Yahoo but not coming up
                > with
                > > what I'm seeing on line. Until now that is.
                > > The document I found in your files section was just what the doctor
                > > ordered. Now I have to find an interface cable and a good software
                > > package since even though I want to know how to program the radio
                > by
                > > hand in the field if I need to, it is not my first choice when I
                > have a
                > > computer available that will make the job much easier on both my
                > fingers
                > > and the buttons and switches in the radio. So I thank the founder
                > for
                > > the group and those that contribute to the knowledge base that it

              • miriamfrank
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27, 2010
                  thanks to you all - I'm away right now, but want to try your suggestions and I will get that membership too. Also, thanks to MarkScanners for his help too. I have manged to program some conventional channels and a trunked set also - but still feel like I'm fumbling around and it's taking forever!! with your help I'll get there! of course for us older folks, this screen is a little harder to read than my 245 also!! guess I need to wear my glasses!! Thanks.. I'm sure I'll need more help when I get back to it!
                  - Maggie