Re: [BC346XT] Battery Life

    Message 1 of 15 , May 16, 2010
      Some popular LSD cells are "Eneloop" cells by Sanyo, and virtually any
      of the 'precharged' cells. My current favorite are Rayovac. I get the
      highest capacity of any of the several brands I've tried, and they also
      seem to have the lowest self-discharge rate (they hold their charge the
      longest when not being used). The LSD cells are only about 75% the
      capacity of non-LSD NiMHs, but if you go for any real length of time
      between uses of a device, it will last longer by the time you do need it.

      I'm not as much up to speed on LIon cells, but I know that the chargers
      you mentioned for NiMHs are doing one of three things:

      1. Charging slowly with a timed charge (ala Uniden), or

      2. Charging the cells until the first one reaches maximum charge, in
      which case only one cell is being fully charged, and X-1 cells are not
      getting fully charged (where X is the number of cells in the pack), or

      3. They are charging fast for a predetermined time which is a great way
      to destroy any rechargeable cells. It's like driving while 'riding the
      clutch' to control your speed as opposed to using the accelerator.
      Sooner or later there is going to be a big boom and a big bill with your
      name on it.

      Yes, a proper charge is more expensive then a 'blind' charge, but it is
      worth it when you get the maximum charge out of each cell, and some
      chargers will also condition (or rejuvenate) the cells.

      To add a proper charging circuit to a scanner would easily cost $20 or
      more, which likely translates to a $30-$50 charge on the cost of the
      scanner after you add in the firmware development costs and markup. In a
      way, I wish the scanners didn't have charging capability, but it is nice
      if you don't have anything else. And that is not a dig against any one
      manufacturer, as they all do the same thing. I currently use the Maha
      MH-C9000 chargers, but there are some other good ones out there, too,
      such as one made by LaCrosse. I haven't tried that one, but I've read a
      lot of good reviews about it. BTW, I was at a show this weekend and saw
      the 9000 on sale for $40. Not sure of its current normal street price.

      Still, if you add up the price of NiMH cells and a quality charger, you
      still come out far ahead of the cost of alkalines.

      Joe M.