Re: [BC346XT] Battery Life

  • Eric Burris
    Message 1 of 15 , May 16, 2010
      never heard of the LSD kind. i should mention the yeasu radios that has a
      smart charge that shuts off when complete are Lithum Ion batteries. but i
      do know they sell chargers for ham radios that have auto shut off for NiMH's
      but those drop chargers are like $70. after reading what you guys are
      talking about for NiMH's its no wonder those charges are so expensive.

      --
      Eric Burris
      KC0LDT

      Message 2 of 15 , May 16, 2010
        Some popular LSD cells are "Eneloop" cells by Sanyo, and virtually any
        of the 'precharged' cells. My current favorite are Rayovac. I get the
        highest capacity of any of the several brands I've tried, and they also
        seem to have the lowest self-discharge rate (they hold their charge the
        longest when not being used). The LSD cells are only about 75% the
        capacity of non-LSD NiMHs, but if you go for any real length of time
        between uses of a device, it will last longer by the time you do need it.

        I'm not as much up to speed on LIon cells, but I know that the chargers
        you mentioned for NiMHs are doing one of three things:

        1. Charging slowly with a timed charge (ala Uniden), or

        2. Charging the cells until the first one reaches maximum charge, in
        which case only one cell is being fully charged, and X-1 cells are not
        getting fully charged (where X is the number of cells in the pack), or

        3. They are charging fast for a predetermined time which is a great way
        to destroy any rechargeable cells. It's like driving while 'riding the
        clutch' to control your speed as opposed to using the accelerator.
        Sooner or later there is going to be a big boom and a big bill with your
        name on it.

        Yes, a proper charge is more expensive then a 'blind' charge, but it is
        worth it when you get the maximum charge out of each cell, and some
        chargers will also condition (or rejuvenate) the cells.

        To add a proper charging circuit to a scanner would easily cost $20 or
        more, which likely translates to a $30-$50 charge on the cost of the
        scanner after you add in the firmware development costs and markup. In a
        way, I wish the scanners didn't have charging capability, but it is nice
        if you don't have anything else. And that is not a dig against any one
        manufacturer, as they all do the same thing. I currently use the Maha
        MH-C9000 chargers, but there are some other good ones out there, too,
        such as one made by LaCrosse. I haven't tried that one, but I've read a
        lot of good reviews about it. BTW, I was at a show this weekend and saw
        the 9000 on sale for $40. Not sure of its current normal street price.

        Still, if you add up the price of NiMH cells and a quality charger, you
        still come out far ahead of the cost of alkalines.

        Joe M.