Re: [BC346XT] Battery Life

  • Joseph O'Neil
    Message 1 of 15 , May 16, 2010
      On 5/15/2010 10:28 PM, Eric Burris wrote:
      > It's quite disappointing that the radio itself doesn't shut off
      > automatically, when charge is complete, like the Yeasu VX7R ham radios.

      -snip-

      Agreed, and I'll go a step further. Does the radio completely shut
      down, even when you turn it off, or is it like so many other electronics
      that have a "phantom draw" even when supposedly turned off. For
      example, after fully charging my 386xt, I left it alone for a few hours,
      turned off, then when I turned it on, I noticed the voltage was lower by
      a wee bit that when I first unplugged it from the charger, even though I
      didn't use it.
      joe
      Message 2 of 15 , May 16, 2010
        The scanner has no way to detect when the charge is complete. The same
        is true for any device with cells in serial. NiMH cells should only be
        charged one at a time so you can detect the behavior for a fully charged
        cell.

        And OK on the Energizer NiMHs. I used to use those quite a bit, but I
        now use the LSD (Low Self Discharge) cells.

        Joe M.

        Eric Burris wrote:
        > It's quite disappointing that the radio itself doesn't shut off
        > automatically, when charge is complete, like the Yeasu VX7R ham radios.
      • Eric Burris
        Message 3 of 15 , May 16, 2010
          never heard of the LSD kind. i should mention the yeasu radios that has a
          smart charge that shuts off when complete are Lithum Ion batteries. but i
          do know they sell chargers for ham radios that have auto shut off for NiMH's
          but those drop chargers are like $70. after reading what you guys are
          talking about for NiMH's its no wonder those charges are so expensive.

          --
          Eric Burris
          KC0LDT

          Message 4 of 15 , May 16, 2010
            Parts of it have to be powered all the time since the power switch is a
            software switch and not a hardware switch. This could be just the micro,
            or even just part of it.

            You could also be seeing some self-discharge effects on your cells.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 16, 2010
              Some popular LSD cells are "Eneloop" cells by Sanyo, and virtually any
              of the 'precharged' cells. My current favorite are Rayovac. I get the
              highest capacity of any of the several brands I've tried, and they also
              seem to have the lowest self-discharge rate (they hold their charge the
              longest when not being used). The LSD cells are only about 75% the
              capacity of non-LSD NiMHs, but if you go for any real length of time
              between uses of a device, it will last longer by the time you do need it.

              I'm not as much up to speed on LIon cells, but I know that the chargers
              you mentioned for NiMHs are doing one of three things:

              1. Charging slowly with a timed charge (ala Uniden), or

              2. Charging the cells until the first one reaches maximum charge, in
              which case only one cell is being fully charged, and X-1 cells are not
              getting fully charged (where X is the number of cells in the pack), or

              3. They are charging fast for a predetermined time which is a great way
              to destroy any rechargeable cells. It's like driving while 'riding the
              clutch' to control your speed as opposed to using the accelerator.
              Sooner or later there is going to be a big boom and a big bill with your
              name on it.

              Yes, a proper charge is more expensive then a 'blind' charge, but it is
              worth it when you get the maximum charge out of each cell, and some
              chargers will also condition (or rejuvenate) the cells.

              To add a proper charging circuit to a scanner would easily cost $20 or
              more, which likely translates to a $30-$50 charge on the cost of the
              scanner after you add in the firmware development costs and markup. In a
              way, I wish the scanners didn't have charging capability, but it is nice
              if you don't have anything else. And that is not a dig against any one
              manufacturer, as they all do the same thing. I currently use the Maha
              MH-C9000 chargers, but there are some other good ones out there, too,
              such as one made by LaCrosse. I haven't tried that one, but I've read a
              lot of good reviews about it. BTW, I was at a show this weekend and saw
              the 9000 on sale for $40. Not sure of its current normal street price.

              Still, if you add up the price of NiMH cells and a quality charger, you
              still come out far ahead of the cost of alkalines.

              Joe M.