Re: [BC346XT] Battery life

  • Joseph O'Neil
    Message 1 of 10 , May 16, 2010
      On 5/16/2010 5:54 AM, MCH wrote:
      > Fully charged NiMHs should show 4.00V or higher. Alkalines should show
      > 4.5V or higher. (been a while since I used alkalines in the scanner, so
      > the 4.50V figure might be higher, as 4.50V would be the minimum spec on
      > new cells)

      -snip-
      Jumping in here out of step, I just unplugged my 346xt from
      charging overnight, and I noticed too that a day (8 hours?) of operation
      kills the batteries pretty quick too. A couple of things;

      - the scanner came with a set of generic or "no-name" NiMH
      batteries, and fully charged I get a reading of 4.05 V;
      - it takes a long, long time to charge those batteries in the
      scanner - I have to leave them overnight to charge up. By contrast,
      Energizer rechargeables that I charge directly in the battery charger
      seem to not take as long to charge up;
      - I've not tried the Energizers in the scanner itself, but I use
      them in my Icom scanner, and while it's apples vs oranges here, I sure
      get a lot longer life out of the Engergizers;

      My wild, purely speculative guess here is that the "free
      batteries" that came with the 346xt are likely the cheapest rechargeable
      NiMH money can buy (they are made in China, at least the ones I have)
      whereas the Energizers are made in Japan. I've not tried the
      Energizers (or any other higher quality rechargeable) in the 346xt yet,
      but maybe the battery life problem that I too notice is directly related
      to the quality of the battery supplied. For "free", well I guess you
      get what you pay for. :)

      joe
    • Eric Burris
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16, 2010
        it's obvious no one saw my last post so i'm posting it again:
        "If your referring to me I said I was using Energizer NiMH rechargeables
        that are brand new and i charge them in a full size Rayovac charger that
        shuts off when charge is complete.
        It's quite disappointing that the radio itself doesn't shut off
        automatically, when charge is complete, like the Yeasu VX7R ham radios."

        also in another post i also said my volt meter is showing inaccurate
        readings probably because the batteries are low in it and i need another 9v
        for it.
        but i have a basic battery tester from the hardware store. walmart sells
        batteries but not testers. go figure.

        I charged my good batteries last night and i just turned the radio on and it
        shows 4.06 volts.
        thanks

        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2010
          You can set the scanner to turn off charge after a specified period of time. Note that it is technically impossible to detect a full charge state when charging NiMH cells in series at any charge rate. At a slow charge rate it is technically unreliable to try to detect full charge state at all (even charging individual cells). For full-charge detection of a single cell being charged, you want to be charging at at least a .5C rate, but preferably closer to a 1C rate. For 2700 mAH batteries, that equates to 1.35 - 2.7 Amps of charging current. I don't expect this type of charging to be implemented in any consumer radio product (until/unless a new chemistry is developed that allows for reliable full-charge detection with replaceable cells).