Re: [BC346XT] Battery life

    Message 1 of 10 , May 15 6:10 PM
      Can you give more detail than "lower green"? What was the voltage they
      show in the scanner?

      Joe M.

      mesocyclone20 wrote:
      > I have a BC346xt and it seems like it doesn't last long on batteries. i have brand new Energizer NiMH batteries and the radio started beeping telling me they were dead. i checked them on the tester and they were still in the lower green. my portable Boomtube speakers operates down into the yellow on the same or similar batteries. surely this scanner would do the same. My RS Pro97 will go way longer then this scanner.
      > thanks
      > Eric Burris, kc0ldt

    • Eric Burris
      Message 2 of 10 , May 15 7:31 PM
        how do you see what the voltage is? My batteries are low on my voltmeter so
        it doesn't get the right reading. My volt meter shows 2 volts higher then
        usual.

        --
        Eric Burris
        KC0LDT

        Message 3 of 10 , May 15 7:54 PM
          Press the scroll button. The voltage is shown in the upper right hand corner.

          Joe M.

          On Sat 15/05/10 10:31 PM , Eric Burris mesocyclone30@... sent:
          > how do you see what the voltage is? My batteries are low on my voltmeter
          > soit doesn't get the right reading. My volt meter shows 2 volts higher
          > thenusual.
          >
          > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM, MCH
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Can you give more detail than "lower
          > green"? What was the voltage they> show in the scanner?
          > >
          > > Joe M.
          > >

          > > mesocyclone20 wrote:
          > > > I have a BC346xt and it seems like it
          > doesn't last long on batteries. i> have brand new Energizer NiMH batteries and the
          > radio started beeping> telling me they were dead. i checked them on the
          > tester and they were still> in the lower green. my portable Boomtube
          > speakers operates down into the> yellow on the same or similar batteries. surely
          > this scanner would do the> same. My RS Pro97 will go way longer then this
          > scanner.> > thanks
          > > > Eric Burris, kc0ldt

          > 271.1.1/2868 - Release Date: 05/11/10> 18:40:00
          > > >

          > --
          > Eric Burris
          > KC0LDT
          > Railfan on the BNSF Emporia Subdivision

          > Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > To change settings online go to:
          >
          > To change settings via email:
          > BC346XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BC346XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Eric Burris
          Message 4 of 10 , May 15 7:59 PM
            it's averaging around 3.60 and it was beeping earlier before i turned it
            off. What's numbers good and bad on there?
            thanks

            Message 5 of 10 , May 16 2:54 AM
              Fully charged NiMHs should show 4.00V or higher. Alkalines should show
              4.5V or higher. (been a while since I used alkalines in the scanner, so
              the 4.50V figure might be higher, as 4.50V would be the minimum spec on
              new cells)

              The low voltage beep should start at 3.50V (approximately) and the
              auto-shutdown should occur around 3.40V.

              Do you have any way to measure the voltage without the cells in the
              scanner? Either the scanner is loading down the cells if you're getting
              3.60V with fresh cells, or the cells are bad.

              For clarity, what are you using? Alkalines or NiMH (or other), and what
              brand?

              Joe M.

            • Joseph O'Neil
              Message 6 of 10 , May 16 6:32 AM
                On 5/16/2010 5:54 AM, MCH wrote:
                > Fully charged NiMHs should show 4.00V or higher. Alkalines should show
                > 4.5V or higher. (been a while since I used alkalines in the scanner, so
                > the 4.50V figure might be higher, as 4.50V would be the minimum spec on
                > new cells)

                -snip-
                Jumping in here out of step, I just unplugged my 346xt from
                charging overnight, and I noticed too that a day (8 hours?) of operation
                kills the batteries pretty quick too. A couple of things;

                - the scanner came with a set of generic or "no-name" NiMH
                batteries, and fully charged I get a reading of 4.05 V;
                - it takes a long, long time to charge those batteries in the
                scanner - I have to leave them overnight to charge up. By contrast,
                Energizer rechargeables that I charge directly in the battery charger
                seem to not take as long to charge up;
                - I've not tried the Energizers in the scanner itself, but I use
                them in my Icom scanner, and while it's apples vs oranges here, I sure
                get a lot longer life out of the Engergizers;

                My wild, purely speculative guess here is that the "free
                batteries" that came with the 346xt are likely the cheapest rechargeable
                NiMH money can buy (they are made in China, at least the ones I have)
                whereas the Energizers are made in Japan. I've not tried the
                Energizers (or any other higher quality rechargeable) in the 346xt yet,
                but maybe the battery life problem that I too notice is directly related
                to the quality of the battery supplied. For "free", well I guess you
                get what you pay for. :)

                joe
              • Eric Burris
                Message 7 of 10 , May 16 10:03 AM
                  it's obvious no one saw my last post so i'm posting it again:
                  "If your referring to me I said I was using Energizer NiMH rechargeables
                  that are brand new and i charge them in a full size Rayovac charger that
                  shuts off when charge is complete.
                  It's quite disappointing that the radio itself doesn't shut off
                  automatically, when charge is complete, like the Yeasu VX7R ham radios."

                  also in another post i also said my volt meter is showing inaccurate
                  readings probably because the batteries are low in it and i need another 9v
                  for it.
                  but i have a basic battery tester from the hardware store. walmart sells
                  batteries but not testers. go figure.

                  I charged my good batteries last night and i just turned the radio on and it
                  shows 4.06 volts.
                  thanks

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 16 11:12 AM
                    You can set the scanner to turn off charge after a specified period of time. Note that it is technically impossible to detect a full charge state when charging NiMH cells in series at any charge rate. At a slow charge rate it is technically unreliable to try to detect full charge state at all (even charging individual cells). For full-charge detection of a single cell being charged, you want to be charging at at least a .5C rate, but preferably closer to a 1C rate. For 2700 mAH batteries, that equates to 1.35 - 2.7 Amps of charging current. I don't expect this type of charging to be implemented in any consumer radio product (until/unless a new chemistry is developed that allows for reliable full-charge detection with replaceable cells).