Battery life

  • mesocyclone20
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15 9:49 AM
      I have a BC346xt and it seems like it doesn't last long on batteries. i have brand new Energizer NiMH batteries and the radio started beeping telling me they were dead. i checked them on the tester and they were still in the lower green. my portable Boomtube speakers operates down into the yellow on the same or similar batteries. surely this scanner would do the same. My RS Pro97 will go way longer then this scanner.
      thanks
      Eric Burris, kc0ldt
    • SRCASTK
      Message 2 of 10 , May 15 1:50 PM
        Mine too, and I'm not a Happy Camper about it either

        Message 3 of 10 , May 15 6:10 PM
          Can you give more detail than "lower green"? What was the voltage they
          show in the scanner?

          Joe M.

          mesocyclone20 wrote:
          > I have a BC346xt and it seems like it doesn't last long on batteries. i have brand new Energizer NiMH batteries and the radio started beeping telling me they were dead. i checked them on the tester and they were still in the lower green. my portable Boomtube speakers operates down into the yellow on the same or similar batteries. surely this scanner would do the same. My RS Pro97 will go way longer then this scanner.
          > thanks
          > Eric Burris, kc0ldt

        • Eric Burris
          Message 4 of 10 , May 15 7:31 PM
            how do you see what the voltage is? My batteries are low on my voltmeter so
            it doesn't get the right reading. My volt meter shows 2 volts higher then
            usual.

            --
            Eric Burris
            KC0LDT

            Message 5 of 10 , May 15 7:54 PM
              Press the scroll button. The voltage is shown in the upper right hand corner.

              Joe M.

              On Sat 15/05/10 10:31 PM , Eric Burris mesocyclone30@... sent:
              > how do you see what the voltage is? My batteries are low on my voltmeter
              > soit doesn't get the right reading. My volt meter shows 2 volts higher
              > thenusual.
              >
              > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM, MCH
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > Can you give more detail than "lower
              > green"? What was the voltage they> show in the scanner?
              > >
              > > Joe M.
              > >

              > > mesocyclone20 wrote:
              > > > I have a BC346xt and it seems like it
              > doesn't last long on batteries. i> have brand new Energizer NiMH batteries and the
              > radio started beeping> telling me they were dead. i checked them on the
              > tester and they were still> in the lower green. my portable Boomtube
              > speakers operates down into the> yellow on the same or similar batteries. surely
              > this scanner would do the> same. My RS Pro97 will go way longer then this
              > scanner.> > thanks
              > > > Eric Burris, kc0ldt

              > 271.1.1/2868 - Release Date: 05/11/10> 18:40:00
              > > >

              > --
              > Eric Burris
              > KC0LDT
              > Railfan on the BNSF Emporia Subdivision

              > Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > To change settings online go to:
              >
              > To change settings via email:
              > BC346XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BC346XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Eric Burris
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15 7:59 PM
                it's averaging around 3.60 and it was beeping earlier before i turned it
                off. What's numbers good and bad on there?
                thanks

                Message 7 of 10 , May 16 2:54 AM
                  Fully charged NiMHs should show 4.00V or higher. Alkalines should show
                  4.5V or higher. (been a while since I used alkalines in the scanner, so
                  the 4.50V figure might be higher, as 4.50V would be the minimum spec on
                  new cells)

                  The low voltage beep should start at 3.50V (approximately) and the
                  auto-shutdown should occur around 3.40V.

                  Do you have any way to measure the voltage without the cells in the
                  scanner? Either the scanner is loading down the cells if you're getting
                  3.60V with fresh cells, or the cells are bad.

                  For clarity, what are you using? Alkalines or NiMH (or other), and what
                  brand?

                  Joe M.

                • Joseph O'Neil
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 16 6:32 AM
                    On 5/16/2010 5:54 AM, MCH wrote:
                    > Fully charged NiMHs should show 4.00V or higher. Alkalines should show
                    > 4.5V or higher. (been a while since I used alkalines in the scanner, so
                    > the 4.50V figure might be higher, as 4.50V would be the minimum spec on
                    > new cells)

                    -snip-
                    Jumping in here out of step, I just unplugged my 346xt from
                    charging overnight, and I noticed too that a day (8 hours?) of operation
                    kills the batteries pretty quick too. A couple of things;

                    - the scanner came with a set of generic or "no-name" NiMH
                    batteries, and fully charged I get a reading of 4.05 V;
                    - it takes a long, long time to charge those batteries in the
                    scanner - I have to leave them overnight to charge up. By contrast,
                    Energizer rechargeables that I charge directly in the battery charger
                    seem to not take as long to charge up;
                    - I've not tried the Energizers in the scanner itself, but I use
                    them in my Icom scanner, and while it's apples vs oranges here, I sure
                    get a lot longer life out of the Engergizers;

                    My wild, purely speculative guess here is that the "free
                    batteries" that came with the 346xt are likely the cheapest rechargeable
                    NiMH money can buy (they are made in China, at least the ones I have)
                    whereas the Energizers are made in Japan. I've not tried the
                    Energizers (or any other higher quality rechargeable) in the 346xt yet,
                    but maybe the battery life problem that I too notice is directly related
                    to the quality of the battery supplied. For "free", well I guess you
                    get what you pay for. :)

                    joe
                  • Eric Burris
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 16 10:03 AM
                      it's obvious no one saw my last post so i'm posting it again:
                      "If your referring to me I said I was using Energizer NiMH rechargeables
                      that are brand new and i charge them in a full size Rayovac charger that
                      shuts off when charge is complete.
                      It's quite disappointing that the radio itself doesn't shut off
                      automatically, when charge is complete, like the Yeasu VX7R ham radios."

                      also in another post i also said my volt meter is showing inaccurate
                      readings probably because the batteries are low in it and i need another 9v
                      for it.
                      but i have a basic battery tester from the hardware store. walmart sells
                      batteries but not testers. go figure.

                      I charged my good batteries last night and i just turned the radio on and it
                      shows 4.06 volts.
                      thanks

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 16 11:12 AM
                        You can set the scanner to turn off charge after a specified period of time. Note that it is technically impossible to detect a full charge state when charging NiMH cells in series at any charge rate. At a slow charge rate it is technically unreliable to try to detect full charge state at all (even charging individual cells). For full-charge detection of a single cell being charged, you want to be charging at at least a .5C rate, but preferably closer to a 1C rate. For 2700 mAH batteries, that equates to 1.35 - 2.7 Amps of charging current. I don't expect this type of charging to be implemented in any consumer radio product (until/unless a new chemistry is developed that allows for reliable full-charge detection with replaceable cells).