Re: [BC346XT] antenna choice

  • JAN FINE
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 10:48 AM
      Radio Shack's rubber duckie 800 mhz antenna.

      Chris M wrote:

      > i suggest the diamond SRH77CA its a bit long at 15" or so but it works
      > great
      >
      > On Apr 22, 2010, at 11:23 AM, joneil@...
      > <mailto:joneil%40start.ca> wrote:
      >
      > Question for a noob here. Just bought the 346XT, programmed it just
      > fine with freescan, and I have an external antenna (Hustler) for the
      > car that works very good and picks up a whole lot more than the
      > "rubber duck" that comes with the 346XT.
      >
      > If there a good or decent general use replacement for the "rubber
      > duck" antenna that comes with the 346XT? The external antenna for the
      > car is fine while driving, but too large to walk around with. Any
      > suggestions for something better, but something I can still walk
      > around with?
      >
      > thanks

    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 10:54 AM
        You cant go wrong for 800 with the RS 800

        Chris M wrote:

        > i suggest the diamond SRH77CA its a bit long at 15" or so but it works
        > great
        >
        > On Apr 22, 2010, at 11:23 AM, joneil@...
        > <mailto:joneil%40start.ca> wrote:
        >
        > Question for a noob here. Just bought the 346XT, programmed it just
        > fine with freescan, and I have an external antenna (Hustler) for the
        > car that works very good and picks up a whole lot more than the
        > "rubber duck" that comes with the 346XT.
        >
        > If there a good or decent general use replacement for the "rubber
        > duck" antenna that comes with the 346XT? The external antenna for the
        > car is fine while driving, but too large to walk around with. Any
        > suggestions for something better, but something I can still walk
        > around with?
        >
        > thanks

      • RadioDon
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 10:56 AM
          I totally agree.

          Don, KE4JD

          _____

          Chris M wrote:

          > i suggest the diamond SRH77CA its a bit long at 15" or so but it works
          > great
          >
          > On Apr 22, 2010, at 11:23 AM, joneil@start. <mailto:joneil%40start.ca> ca
          > <mailto:joneil%40start.ca> wrote:
          >
          > Question for a noob here. Just bought the 346XT, programmed it just
          > fine with freescan, and I have an external antenna (Hustler) for the
          > car that works very good and picks up a whole lot more than the
          > "rubber duck" that comes with the 346XT.
          >
          > If there a good or decent general use replacement for the "rubber
          > duck" antenna that comes with the 346XT? The external antenna for the
          > car is fine while driving, but too large to walk around with. Any
          > suggestions for something better, but something I can still walk
          > around with?
          >
          > thanks

          01:31:00

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 11:10 AM
            I agree that the 800 MHz antenna works well, but not "picks up a whole
            lot more" except on 800 MHz.

            From what I've found, it does work much better on 800 MHz, a little
            better on UHF, about the same on VHF, and falls flat on Low Band
            compared with the stock antenna.

            That said, I often use one.

            There are other antennas that will perform better, but they are two to
            three times the size of the stock antenna or 800 MHz antenna.

            Joe M.

            RadioDon wrote:
            > I totally agree.
            >
            > Don, KE4JD
            >

            > _____

          • kayi4cle
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 1:24 PM
              I agree, but I don't like using the BNC adapter. I use SMA antennas from Scannermaster and http://www.wpsantennas.com/ in the same basic range but they're not quite as good as the Radio Shack 800 MHz. Why oh why can't someone come out with a comparable SMA version of it!

              > I agree that the 800 MHz antenna works well, but not "picks up a whole
              > lot more" except on 800 MHz.
              >
              > From what I've found, it does work much better on 800 MHz, a little
              > better on UHF, about the same on VHF, and falls flat on Low Band
              > compared with the stock antenna.
              >
              > That said, I often use one.
              >
              > There are other antennas that will perform better, but they are two to
              > three times the size of the stock antenna or 800 MHz antenna.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > RadioDon wrote:
              > > I totally agree.
              > >
              > > Don, KE4JD
              > >

              > > _____

            • Mark Levine, D.C.
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22 2:13 PM
                The Antennex DEXE821sm is similar. I use it and the bnc versions for a
                cleaner look.

                doc

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22 2:49 PM
                  I used to hate the SMA (well, dislike it), but then I started to look at
                  it differently: When my BNC connector wears out, it will be much easier
                  to replace it than it used to be.

                  As for those who may complain about insertion loss, there is less than
                  0.05 dB of insertion loss (IOW, nothing to would ever be able to notice).

                  I do with the adapter were black (and yes, I know you can get them in
                  black) so it weren't as 'obvious' when you have a black scanner and
                  black antenna. But back on the topic, the 800 MHz antenna doesn't have a
                  covered BNC, so I guess I would have silver there anyway.

                  It's much easier (read: faster) to change antennas with a BNC than an
                  SMA, too.

                  Joe M.

                  kayi4cle wrote:
                  > I agree, but I don't like using the BNC adapter. I use SMA antennas from Scannermaster and http://www.wpsantennas.com/ in the same basic range but they're not quite as good as the Radio Shack 800 MHz. Why oh why can't someone come out with a comparable SMA version of it!
                  >

                  > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                  >> I agree that the 800 MHz antenna works well, but not "picks up a whole
                  >> lot more" except on 800 MHz.
                  >>
                  >> From what I've found, it does work much better on 800 MHz, a little
                  >> better on UHF, about the same on VHF, and falls flat on Low Band
                  >> compared with the stock antenna.
                  >>
                  >> That said, I often use one.
                  >>
                  >> There are other antennas that will perform better, but they are two to
                  >> three times the size of the stock antenna or 800 MHz antenna.
                  >>
                  >> Joe M.
                  >>
                  >> RadioDon wrote:
                  >>> I totally agree.
                  >>>
                  >>> Don, KE4JD
                  >>>

                  >>> _____

                • kayi4cle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22 3:09 PM
                    Thanks for your suggestion. I got the 806-866 thinking that I could use it for 700 MHz if I get a 396XT or its successor. I don't have the 821-902 to compare. I like the cleaner look too.

                    --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                    > The Antennex DEXE821sm is similar. I use it and the bnc versions for a
                    > cleaner look.
                    >
                    > doc

                  • kayi4cle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22 3:31 PM
                      I understand what you are saying, but when I first got my radio and tried using the BNC connector and attaching an antenna and then taking it off and attaching another antenna, etc., it still seemed to me like it was putting some stress on the radio's SMA connection. I probably worry too much about stuff like that, and perhaps I should try it again because it did work great and I didn't notice any loss. But, on the other hand, I greatly prefer the way it looks with an SMA antenna and I had pretty much decided to just put one on and leave it alone (rather than changing antennas all the time). One thing's for sure, regardless of which type antenna, the 346 is a great radio!

                      > I used to hate the SMA (well, dislike it), but then I started to look at
                      > it differently: When my BNC connector wears out, it will be much easier
                      > to replace it than it used to be.
                      >
                      > As for those who may complain about insertion loss, there is less than
                      > 0.05 dB of insertion loss (IOW, nothing to would ever be able to notice).
                      >
                      > I do with the adapter were black (and yes, I know you can get them in
                      > black) so it weren't as 'obvious' when you have a black scanner and
                      > black antenna. But back on the topic, the 800 MHz antenna doesn't have a
                      > covered BNC, so I guess I would have silver there anyway.
                      >
                      > It's much easier (read: faster) to change antennas with a BNC than an
                      > SMA, too.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > kayi4cle wrote:
                      > > I agree, but I don't like using the BNC adapter. I use SMA antennas from Scannermaster and http://www.wpsantennas.com/ in the same basic range but they're not quite as good as the Radio Shack 800 MHz. Why oh why can't someone come out with a comparable SMA version of it!

                    • Joseph O'Neil
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22 3:36 PM
                        Hi everyone;
                        Read the replies, did a little digging, and ended up ordering a Watson
                        W-889 telescopic, 25-1900 Mhz. You can adjust the length to match
                        different wavelengths. I forget where I first saw it don e- maybe a ham
                        show - but a guy had something like this, and had little marks (nail
                        polish maybe?) painted different on the antenna. the "blue" mark was
                        best for the 800 range, red for another, and so on. Should arrive next
                        week. Will let you know how it works.
                        joe