which is better to use for pc programming ?

  • keithf
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2010
      Hi all, just bought one of these scanners. Still trying to figure the programming out. Anyway my question is, freescan or bctool which is the best to use. In terms of features and simplicity.
    • DMAScanning
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
        Hello,

        The current version of BCTool cannot be used with the BC346XT so Freescan is
        your only option of the two you mention. A new version of BCTool is in the
        works but has not been released yet.

        Don, KE4JD
        dmascanning.com

        _____

        Hi all, just bought one of these scanners. Still trying to figure the
        programming out. Anyway my question is, freescan or bctool which is the best
        to use. In terms of features and simplicity.

        13:32:00

      • Larry Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
          I PGM'ed a 346 for a friend. About 9 Banks. I used FreeScan. I had ARC but didnt use it. Biggest problem I found is the File System. There are 3 places for Text. Two [2] Flip/Flop on the top line and the 3rd is specfic for the bottom Line. You must think very hard about the way you want the display to read. I backloaded PGM into ARC after programming. Simular, not much difference. Good Luck.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
            You'll find the DMA memory and programming much easier to understand when
            you give up on the old terminology and listen to what experienced people are
            trying to offer you. You ask for help and reject it from the most learned
            member of the group (MCH).

            >I PGM'ed a 346 for a friend. About 9 Banks. I used FreeScan. I had ARC but
            >didnt use it. Biggest problem I found is the File System. There are 3
            >places for Text. Two [2] Flip/Flop on the top line and the 3rd is specfic
            >for the bottom Line. You must think very hard about the way you want the
            >display to read. I backloaded PGM into ARC after programming. Simular, not
            >much difference. Good Luck.

          • Mark Levine, D.C.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
              I think you will find Freescan is the X-compatible program.

              ML

            • Larry Ryan
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
                I've been using Freescan for my 346XT love it.  I loved being able to import the WARS system (EDACS) for Greater Vancouver Fire departments.  Works like a charm, I'll definitley be sending in a donation.  Great software.  Using it with a USM/DB9 converter

                I think you will find Freescan is the X-compatible program.

                ML

              • Sam Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
                  I don't have any experience with BCTool, but FreeScan works just fine, and the price is right (free)!

                  Sam