Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

  • uniden.upman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
      UNIDEN UPDATES HANDHELD TRUNK TRACKER® SCANNER LINEUP

      Raises the Bar for Features and Performance

      Fort Worth, Texas, September 29, 2008 – Uniden America Corporation,
      a leading manufacturer of wireless consumer electronics, today announced
      their handheld Trunk Tracker III and Trunk Tracker IV scanner lineup to
      be debuted in early 2009. "Uniden is making major advances in the
      category it created" said Paul Opitz, Uniden's Product Manager
      for the category. "We've listened to our customers and taken
      these scanners to the next level of functionality and performance based
      on what they told us they needed to do their jobs better."

      The BC346XT will replace the BC246T as Uniden's flagship handheld
      analog Trunk Tracker. Touting 9,000 channels organized using
      Uniden's own Dynamic Memory model the BC346XT simplifies scanner
      programming by modeling the scanner's memory organization after the
      real world. The BC346XT also adds GPS support for automatic control of
      radio features based on location, a first in the industry for a handheld
      scanner, and a feature Uniden pioneered with the last generation of
      mobile scanners. Additional features include:

      § Trunk Tracker III – follows trunked traffic on
      Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using ESK)

      § 500 TGID Channels per trunked system – doubling the
      number of channels that can be programmed into a trunked system

      § Temporary Lockout – allows a channel or system to be
      locked out for a single session and restored by cycling power

      § 100 System/Site Quick Key's – provides a way to quickly
      turn on or off scanning for groups of systems…a feature that
      provides users of Uniden scanners the most flexibility in programming
      and operation

      § Startup Configuration Keys – lets specific systems be
      locked or unlocked automatically when the scanner is powered on

      § System/Channel Number Tagging – makes it easy to jump
      to a specific channel

      § Multisite Systems – includes support for large systems
      such as those being installed for statewide operation in some areas.

      § Priority ID Scan -- lets the scanner apply priority to
      channels as they become active on the system

      § Preemptive Priority (Motorola only) – monitors for
      priority traffic, even when the scanner is receiving a transmission on
      the system.

      § Assignable Search Keys – give quick access to favorite
      search modes

      § IF Exchange – lets the scanner use an alternate IF
      (intermediate frequency) to help avoid interference sources.

      § Negative dropout delays – resume scanning after the
      selected time to keep the scanner from hanging on stuck mics or other
      continuous transmissions

      § Close Call® Temporary Store – buffers the most
      recent Close Call hits and scans them conventionally

      § Location-Based Scanning – when a compatible GPS unit is
      connected, turns on and off systems, sites, and channel groups as the
      location changes

      § Location Alert Systems – allow location-specific alerts
      to be programmed for such things as dangerous intersections, dangerous
      roads, or general points of interest

      § Band Scope – gives a rapid graphical display of the
      strength of signals within a specified range of frequencies

      § Key Safe Mode -- prevents naïve users from accidentally
      changing programming … a feature that has been a big request from
      public safety and media radio system managers

      § Private Systems -- prevents a system from being modified or
      read by PC, to help protect confidential radio system programming

      § Control Channel Data Output – allows the analysis of
      control channel data without the need to perform invasive modifications
      to the scanner

      § Volume Offset – lets individual channels be programmed
      with a volume offset to help balance between channels that are louder or
      softer than other programmed channels

      § EDACS ESK Tracking – tracks systems that have
      implemented EDACS System Keys

      § Fire Tone-Out Tone Search – identifies tones used by
      agencies using two-tone paging for alert signaling

      The BCD396XT will provide the same enhancements to Uniden's Trunk
      Tracker IV flagship handheld platform. In addition, this new model adds:

      § Trunk Tracker IV – follows trunked traffic on APCO 25,
      Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using ESK)

      § 25,000 total channels

      § NAC Decoding – allows specific agencies to be monitored
      on P25 conventional channels

      § P25 One-Channel Trunking – supports P25 conventional
      systems that include both NAC and TGID access control on a single
      frequency

      § Automatic P25 Threshold – fully automates the
      optimization of P25 reception

      § Multicolor Display Backlight – allows the selection of
      backlight color to meet the user's own aesthetic taste

      § Visual Alert Notification – lets alerts be assigned to
      specific display colors, flash patterns, audible tones, and volume
      levels.

      Both models are expected to be released in early 2009 at prices
      comparable to the models being replaced.

      * These models are still under development, so all features are subject
      to modification or removal based on actual development and testing
      results. No statement in this press release should be considered as a
      promise to deliver or guarantee of performance.

    • shaft_2k3
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
        Are these all the features for the new 396, or just some of the big
        features? On another forum, someone mentioned if radio ID's would be
        available, also what about a discriminator tap, or perhaps GPS
        support?

        <snip>

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
          These are the features that are added to the BC246T. GPS support is included (as mentioned in the announcement) as is control channel data output w/o tap.

          Are these all the features for the new 396, or just some of the big
          features? On another forum, someone mentioned if radio ID's would be
          available, also what about a discriminator tap, or perhaps GPS
          support?

          <snip>

          > The BCD396XT will provide the same enhancements to Uniden's Trunk
          > Tracker IV flagship handheld platform. In addition, this new model
          adds:

          > � Trunk Tracker IV � follows trunked traffic on APCO 25,
          > Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using
          ESK)

          > � 25,000 total channels
          >
          > � NAC Decoding � allows specific agencies to be monitored
          > on P25 conventional channels
          >
          > � P25 One-Channel Trunking � supports P25 conventional
          > systems that include both NAC and TGID access control on a single
          > frequency
          >
          > � Automatic P25 Threshold � fully automates the
          > optimization of P25 reception
          >
          > � Multicolor Display Backlight � allows the selection of
          > backlight color to meet the user's own aesthetic taste
          >
          > � Visual Alert Notification � lets alerts be assigned to
          > specific display colors, flash patterns, audible tones, and volume
          > levels.
          >
          > Both models are expected to be released in early 2009 at prices
          > comparable to the models being replaced.
          >

          > * These models are still under development, so all features are
          subject
          > to modification or removal based on actual development and testing
          > results. No statement in this press release should be considered
          as a
          > promise to deliver or guarantee of performance.

        • Ron H.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
            If this is what you think is going to hear alot of radio traffic,
            then forget it, Handheld scanners with a rubber ducky antenna can not
            hear as well as a Base Scanner, with an external antenna, trust me on
            this, where is my Handheld, sitting in my radio room conected to an
            outside antenna, doing quite well, thankyou, but Mobil/Base scanners
            work the best.
            --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

            > These are the features that are added to the BC246T. GPS support is
            included (as mentioned in the announcement) as is control channel
            data output w/o tap.

            Handheld Scanners

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
              True, but the GPS feature will still be useful if you have your scanner
              in the car. You won't have to keep enabling/disabling SQKs as you drive
              around.

              Joe M.

            • Ron Handke
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
                I also like new ways to do things, but to tell the truth, using the GPS feature with my 996, was not what I thought it should be, keep in mind that some of the radio traffic will shift to another tower that may be set just outside the GPS settings, guess what I am saying is that maybe a great feature for the Mobil/Base, but as for a Handheld, ???,� I hope that others want the latest, then just maybe I can purchase another older 996 at a much reduced cost, which I would do.� What Uniden is preaching, really will not cause me to spend $500.00.�� Think about how you will set this up, what Uniden really needs to do is re-design the discriminator circuit, to help with the clarity of the voice.� But maybe this is a Motorola problem where I am at.� Just thoughts, and depends on where you live, but out here in the Corn Fields, there are local depts. that have no plans to scrap there old VHF/UHF analog systems, as they work.�

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
                  Threaded...

                  Ron Handke wrote:
                  > I also like new ways to do things, but to tell the truth, using the GPS feature with my 996, was not what I thought it should be, keep in mind that some of the radio traffic will shift to another tower that may be set just outside the GPS settings,

                  Then increase the radius on the settings.

                  > guess what I am saying is that maybe a great feature for the Mobil/Base, but as for a Handheld, ???,

                  I understand. But, I frequently use my 396 in the truck.

                  > I hope that others want the latest, then just maybe I can purchase another older 996 at a much reduced cost, which I would do. What Uniden is preaching, really will not cause me to spend $500.00.

                  I don't think they expect everyone to dump their 396 for a 396XT.

                  > Think about how you will set this up, what Uniden really needs to do is re-design the discriminator circuit, to help with the clarity of the voice. But maybe this is a Motorola problem where I am at.

                  Must be. Mine is very clear.

                  > Just thoughts, and depends on where you live, but out here in the Corn Fields, there are local depts. that have no plans to scrap there old VHF/UHF analog systems, as they work.

                  Then maybe the 346 is the better choice for you. (and you're on the
                  right list)

                  Joe M.
                • red84vette_mike
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 9, 2008
                    Thanks to Uniden for including the new features. I will enjoy the ESK
                    support and location-based scanning.

                    Mike