70yr old dummy needs a little HELP

  • larryscan29617
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
      Friend brought 346 to me for help because I've got all my older BC's and newer GRE PGM'ed w/ software. Does anyone have a custom cheat sheet in WORD that they use and would share???. I built several systems with software but failed to grasp all the new terms. Need shortcut to turn on or off banks. Need better understanding of Quick Keys. Pending any replys. Larry
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
        For general understanding, check out the articles at:
        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals#Other_Resources

        Specifically for Quick Keys, see:
        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/UsingQuickKeysStartupKeysAndSearchKeys

        The BC346XT (and most current-generation trunk-trackers) don't use Banks anymore. You create a system and assign a Quick Key to that system (or to the sites in the system, if trunked). The Quick Keys turn the system on and off.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
          Think of the System Quick Keys like assignable 'bank enable' buttons on
          your older scanners. If you want only single-digit ones, you can do that
          and have 10 to turn on or off.

          Systems are like your old banks, only you can put several in one 'bank'.

          Groups are like classes of users. My Groups often consist of Police,
          Fire, EMS, EMA, Public Works, Business, Ham, Air, Railroad, Etc.

          Channels are just like your older scanners, only you have to create them
          - they do not 'pre-exist in blank format'.

          Channels must exist in a Group. Groups must exist in a System (like
          folders on your hard drive).

          Once you know what Systems, Groups, and Channels are, and their
          relationship, you should have a better understanding of the scanner.

          Joe M.

          larryscan29617 wrote:
          > Friend brought 346 to me for help because I've got all my older BC's and newer GRE PGM'ed w/ software. Does anyone have a custom cheat sheet in WORD that they use and would share???. I built several systems with software but failed to grasp all the new terms. Need shortcut to turn on or off banks. Need better understanding of Quick Keys. Pending any replys. Larry
        • Larry Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
            Thanks for the replys. Got news for ya. This 346 has BANKS. Bank-1 Hwy Patrol, Bank-2 Sheriff, Bank-3 EMS, Bank-4 Fire etc all the way thru Bank-8 Palmetto 800. Thats the way it reads in the Files using FreeScan. They said the PRO106 didnt have banks. Mines got 21. Now back to question. Thanks MCH, but I knew that stuff in 1976. Read all the RR Wiki and PDF files for 346. Just missed the way to turn on or off banks. Program running good so I'll just give it back to Grover and let him figure it out. Best Regards, Larry

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
              While you can think of them as banks, they are not banks (and using them as such means you won't be using the scanner to its capabilities). Banks have several limitations that the 346 (and its generation) doesn't have. Here are a couple:

              Banks are limited to 10. BC346XT can have up to 400 independent systems, and up to 100 System/Site Quick Keys used with those systems.
              Banks always have a fixed number of channels determined as total channels / 10. For example, a 200-channel banked scanner will have 10 banks of 20 channels each. The 346 can have up to 9000 channels. Each system can have as few as 1 channel and as many as 500 (for trunked systems...more for a conventional system).

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
                Not to argue, but there are no banks in the 346 or the 106. Someone may
                label them as banks, but they are not banks - just as I can label a
                channel "PD Encrypted" but that does not mean it is encrypted. The 346
                has Systems and the 106 has Scanlists (21 of them as you have found).

                As for your pending issue, assign a System Quick Key to those Systems
                and you will be able to enable or disable scanning them as you did on
                your older scanners - by pressing the corresponding number on the
                keypad. You have 100 System Quick Keys, but only the first 10 (0-9) will
                work as your older scanners did - by simply pressing the key.

                Note that this is the System Quick Key you want to assign. There are
                also Group Quick Keys, but forget about those for now.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
                  WOW. A person cant think for himself on this forum. My Banks dont have a set # of freq's. There ARE Banks in these radios if you set the PGM that way. If you have WIN500 I'll email you several programs all having 20 each plus FAV's. Because the Mfg says this is the way its going to be does not have to be absolute. People can still think out of the box. Best Regards to all, Larry

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
                    As I said before, you can call them or name them whatever you want. All we are telling you is that the 346/106 scanners have no banks as the term is defined in the industry (a fixed number of channels grouped together). They both have dynamic memory. You can argue until you are blue in the face, but one of the people you are arguing with represents the manufacturer. Feel free to tell him he doesn't know his product - especially when DMA scanners was his concept. ;->

                    Uniden has no banks in the 346 - it has Systems.

                    GRE has no banks in the 106/500. It has Scanlists.

                    If you want to call them banks, please do. But, please also don't complain about not understanding the way the memory is organized if you continue to call them something they are not. you can also call them banks in the text tags. That does not make them banks.

                    Oh, and yes I have Win500, and I have to define the Scanlist(s) for every channel.

                    You can think for yourself... until you start changing the names of pre-defined items in the scanners.
                    When you do that, nobody will know what you mean.

                    Joe M.

                    On Sat 03/04/10 7:38 PM , "Larry Williams" larryscan@... sent:
                    > WOW. A person cant think for himself on this forum. My Banks dont have a
                    > set # of freq's. There ARE Banks in these radios if you set the PGM that
                    > way. If you have WIN500 I'll email you several programs all having 20 each
                    > plus FAV's. Because the Mfg says this is the way its going to be does not
                    > have to be absolute. People can still think out of the box. Best Regards to
                    > all, Larry
                  • kayi4cle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2010
                      Not to be picky or anything, but there are 22 Scanlists on the Pro-106. In addition to the 20, you have FAVS (21) and Skywarn (22). You can put any frequencies you want into the Skywarn scan, and you enable it by pressing FUNC WX.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2010
                        Thanks I know about 22. Dont use it.