Re: [BC346XT] programming

  • Sam Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
      http://scannow.org/
      Free software that works really well for a number of Uniden scanners. I've used it for a year now and it works great. Much, much easier than trying to program by hand, and much cheaper than any other software out there.

      Sam

      Is there an EASY way to program this thing? I've had it almost a year and can't figure out how to enter channels in the thing! Please help.

      ps, i am a member of radio reference, but they were no help at all.

    • Keith
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
        On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:20:08 -0000, "Ben H" <hellonwheelz3@...>
        wrote:

        > Is there an EASY way to program this thing? I've had it almost a year and can't figure out how to enter channels in the thing! Please help.
        >
        > ps, i am a member of radio reference, but they were no help at all.

        The quick way to enter a conventional frequency:

        1. Put the scanner in Hold Mode
        2. Enter the frequency, for example 145.2900 > E/yes key
        3. Quick Freq Save? appears in the screen press the E/yes key.
        4. At this point you can decide if you want to adjust any settings, when
        done press the L/O key.

        Now you can repeat the four steps above until all the conventional
        frequencies are entered that you want.

        Motorola Trunked Radio System type II frequency entry
        In this example we will enter this trunked radio site:
        http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4835

        1. Press the menu button on bottom left side of the radio
        2. Program System appears press the E/yes key.
        3. Select New System Press E/yes key
        4. Select System Type > MOT > press E/yes key > Confirm? > E/yes key
        5. At the web site you get the control channels listed:
        1. 856.48750a
        2. 857.48750c
        3. 858.48750a
        6. Now you enter in one frequency at a time after making a site.
        7. Turn the scroll knob to Edit Site > Press E/yes key
        8. New Site Appears Press the E/yes key
        9. Scroll to Set Frequencies > Press E/yes Key
        10. New Frequency appears press E/yes key
        11. Input Frequency 856.4875 > Press E/yes key
        11a. If you were entering a EDACS or LTR trunked system you will be
        prompted for the LCN Number, enter that number then press E/yes key
        12. Turn the scroll knob to the "New Frequency" selection > Press E/yes
        key
        13. Enter Frequency 857.4875 > Press E/yes key
        14. "New Frequency" is selected > Press E/yes key
        15. Enter Frequency 858.4875 > Press E/yes key

        You can now navigate around to check out the menus use the scroll knob.
        1. to enter a selected item press the E/yes key
        2. To go backwards while in a menu item press the menu button

        When you are done press the L/O key. If you ever are lost in a menu or get
        a yes/no question or want to get to the main radio scanner LCD screen
        press the L/O key. It acts as an escape key does on your computer
        keyboard.

        At this point you can scan the system by pressing the scan key.

        Using the Talk group ID list from radio reference you can cross reference
        the active talk groups on the trunked system as you monitor it. If you are
        interested in a talkgroup press the E/yes
        Quick TGID Save?
        appears press the E/yes key
        If you don't want to hear a TGID "while it is active" double tap the L/O
        key.

        This is the simplest way to program the scanner without worry about
        systems or groups. Your best bet is to try and use Freescan to program the
        scanner using radio reference database for more advanced features.
      • jack sprat
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
          I totally agree with Sam. I've been using Freescan for almost a year now and love it. It makes programming sooo much easier, no way I'd program by hand. It would take hours. Also Freescan has a forum so most problems are fixed and the creator of Freescan is always happy to help with a problem. When I got my 396XT I had no idea how to program it, used Freescan for the first time and within minutes I was listening to the Phoenix Police in Digital. Freescan is very user friendly.

          Dana

          To: BC346XT@yahoogroups.com
          From: kd4shk@...
          Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 06:32:29 -0500
          Subject: Re: [BC346XT] programming

          http://scannow.org/

          Free software that works really well for a number of Uniden scanners. I've used it for a year now and it works great. Much, much easier than trying to program by hand, and much cheaper than any other software out there.

          Sam

          Is there an EASY way to program this thing? I've had it almost a year and can't figure out how to enter channels in the thing! Please help.

          ps, i am a member of radio reference, but they were no help at all.

        • roadtoscituate
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
            Thanks for the Quick Save instructions. So, I've entered several frequencies and did Quick Save. Today, I want to scan these frequencies, but, I can't locate what I saved. Do these frequencies get deleted when the 346 is turned OFF?
            Thanks, Ron