Round thing on back - removal?

  • kayi4cle
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010
      I just got a 346 from Scannermaster and a case. It won't go into the case because of the round protrusion on the back. I've been unable to find out if it is removable and how to do it. I need complete instructions, as I am not mechanically talented and I don't want to break anything! Thanks!
    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010
        Step 1: Remove the screw in the middle of the "protrusion."
        Step 2: There is no Step 2.
         UPMan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010
          Well, you could break it down into:

          1. Find the correct size Phillips screwdriver.
          2. Insert the tip of the screw driver into the center of the screw head.
          3. Turn counterclockwise until the screw comes loose from the socket.
          4. Remove the screw.
          5. Remove the stud.
          6. Put all loose items in a secure place where you will be able to find
          them if needed in the future.

          He DID ask for "complete instructions". ;->

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010
            I am so embarrassed! I didn't see the phillips screw in the center (until I put on a stronger pair of reading glasses). The round thing is so shiny that the screw doesn't stand out. I hope I gave everyone a good laugh!

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010
              It happens. Don't worry about it. But, I tend to take even the strangest
              question seriously, as there may be some people who really don't know.

              Joe M.

              kayi4cle wrote:
              > I am so embarrassed! I didn't see the phillips screw in the center (until I put on a stronger pair of reading glasses). The round thing is so shiny that the screw doesn't stand out. I hope I gave everyone a good laugh!
              >

              > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
              >> Well, you could break it down into:
              >>
              >> 1. Find the correct size Phillips screwdriver.
              >> 2. Insert the tip of the screw driver into the center of the screw head.
              >> 3. Turn counterclockwise until the screw comes loose from the socket.
              >> 4. Remove the screw.
              >> 5. Remove the stud.
              >> 6. Put all loose items in a secure place where you will be able to find
              >> them if needed in the future.
              >>
              >> He DID ask for "complete instructions". ;->
              >>
              >> Joe M.
              >>
              >> Uniden UPMan wrote:
              >>> Step 1: Remove the screw in the middle of the "protrusion."
              >>> Step 2: There is no Step 2.
              >>> UPMan

            • Ed Cifelli
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
                It does the soul good to be able to laff at yourself. Cuz if you don't everyone else will.
                FWIW, I was wondering about removing it also, just never looked at it.
                EdC

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
                  That is so true!

                  Well I finally managed to remove it. The nylon case fits well, and to my surprise the radio stands up when in the case. I got the radio, case, and an antenna from Scannermaster. The antenna is 800 MHz 1/4 wave low profile. It came in a little plastic envelope that says "Tuf Duck", made by Antenex (Laird), and fits very nicely (no big gap or anything).

                  So far I like the 346 better than any handheld I have ever had. I sold all my analog handhelds anticipating PD and fire going digital. Then I found out that when they do it will be Phase II. So I am going to enjoy this little radio very much in the meantime.