Re: [BC346XT] Re: Discriminator Tap

  • dmccorm@charter.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
      While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

      I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

      ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
      > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
      > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
      > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
      >
      > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
      > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
      > >
      > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
      > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
      > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
      > >
      > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
      > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
      > > the rubber cover flap in place.
      > >
      > > Gene
      >
      > --
      > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • Gene Fusco
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
        Rich,

        I assume the following setup is typical:

        DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

        Output connection to device at "X" and GND

        Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Gene
        KB0ZMZ

      • Rich Carlson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
          I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
          jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
          like:

          DISC --------||----------X
          GND --------------------X

          On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
          > Rich,
          >
          > I assume the following setup is typical:

          > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
          >
          > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Gene
          > KB0ZMZ

          Rich Carlson, N9JIG