Re: [BC346XT] Re: Discriminator Tap

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
      The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
      shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
      radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

      --
      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • dmccorm@charter.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
        While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

        I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

        ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
        > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
        > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
        > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
        >
        > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
        > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
        > >
        > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
        > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
        > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
        > >
        > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
        > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
        > > the rubber cover flap in place.
        > >
        > > Gene
        >
        > --
        > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
      • Gene Fusco
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
          Rich,

          I assume the following setup is typical:

          DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

          Output connection to device at "X" and GND

          Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Gene
          KB0ZMZ

        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
            I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
            jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
            like:

            DISC --------||----------X
            GND --------------------X

            On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
            > Rich,
            >
            > I assume the following setup is typical:

            > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
            >
            > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Gene
            > KB0ZMZ

            Rich Carlson, N9JIG