Re: Discriminator Tap

  • pc4610
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
      Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

      I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
      and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
      small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

      One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
      existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
      the rubber cover flap in place.

      Gene
    • Rich Carlson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
        The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
        shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
        radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

        --
        Rich Carlson, N9JIG
      • dmccorm@charter.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
          While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

          I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

          ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
          > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
          > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
          > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
          >
          > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
          > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
          > >
          > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
          > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
          > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
          > >
          > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
          > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
          > > the rubber cover flap in place.
          > >
          > > Gene
          >
          > --
          > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • Gene Fusco
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
            Rich,

            I assume the following setup is typical:

            DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

            Output connection to device at "X" and GND

            Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

            Thanks,
            Gene
            KB0ZMZ

          • Rich Carlson
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
              I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
              jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
              like:

              DISC --------||----------X
              GND --------------------X

              On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
              > Rich,
              >
              > I assume the following setup is typical:

              > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
              >
              > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Gene
              > KB0ZMZ

              Rich Carlson, N9JIG