Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
      There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
      classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
      intercepts.

      While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
      need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

      On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
      > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
      > on a .xt radio?
      >
      > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
      > Neither does Trunk88.
      >
      > Gene Fusco wrote:
      >>

      >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
      >>
      >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
      >> connected by
      >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
      >> apart. On the
      >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
      >> middle pad is labeled
      >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
      >>
      >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
      >> Right now, I have
      >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
      >> flap for the data
      >> connection.
      >>
      >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
      >>
      >> Gene

      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • pc4610
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
        Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

        I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
        and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
        small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

        One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
        existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
        the rubber cover flap in place.

        Gene
      • Rich Carlson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
          The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
          shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
          radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

          --
          Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • dmccorm@charter.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
            While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

            I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

            ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
            > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
            > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
            > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
            >
            > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
            > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
            > >
            > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
            > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
            > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
            > >
            > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
            > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
            > > the rubber cover flap in place.
            > >
            > > Gene
            >
            > --
            > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • Gene Fusco
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
              Rich,

              I assume the following setup is typical:

              DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

              Output connection to device at "X" and GND

              Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

              Thanks,
              Gene
              KB0ZMZ

            • Rich Carlson
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                like:

                DISC --------||----------X
                GND --------------------X

                On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                > Rich,
                >
                > I assume the following setup is typical:

                > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                >
                > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Gene
                > KB0ZMZ

                Rich Carlson, N9JIG