Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • JAN FINE
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
      Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
      on a .xt radio?

      The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
      Neither does Trunk88.

      Gene Fusco wrote:

      > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
      >
      > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
      > connected by
      > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
      > apart. On the
      > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
      > middle pad is labeled
      > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
      >
      > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
      > Right now, I have
      > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
      > flap for the data
      > connection.
      >
      > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
      >
      > Gene

    • Rich Carlson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
        There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
        classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
        intercepts.

        While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
        need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

        On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
        > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
        > on a .xt radio?
        >
        > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
        > Neither does Trunk88.
        >
        > Gene Fusco wrote:
        >>

        >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
        >>
        >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
        >> connected by
        >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
        >> apart. On the
        >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
        >> middle pad is labeled
        >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
        >>
        >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
        >> Right now, I have
        >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
        >> flap for the data
        >> connection.
        >>
        >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
        >>
        >> Gene

        Rich Carlson, N9JIG
      • pc4610
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
          Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

          I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
          and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
          small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

          One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
          existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
          the rubber cover flap in place.

          Gene
        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
            The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
            shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
            radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

            --
            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • dmccorm@charter.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
              While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

              I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

              ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
              > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
              > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
              > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
              >
              > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
              > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
              > >
              > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
              > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
              > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
              > >
              > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
              > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
              > > the rubber cover flap in place.
              > >
              > > Gene
              >
              > --
              > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
            • Gene Fusco
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                Rich,

                I assume the following setup is typical:

                DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                Thanks,
                Gene
                KB0ZMZ

              • Rich Carlson
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                  I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                  jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                  like:

                  DISC --------||----------X
                  GND --------------------X

                  On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                  > Rich,
                  >
                  > I assume the following setup is typical:

                  > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                  >
                  > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Gene
                  > KB0ZMZ

                  Rich Carlson, N9JIG