Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • Gene Fusco
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
      The discriminator tap is present on the 346.

      When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are connected by
      a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled apart. On the
      smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the middle pad is labeled
      DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.

      The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack. Right now, I have
      a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover flap for the data
      connection.

      Are there any unused pins on the data connection?

      Gene

    • JAN FINE
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
        Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
        on a .xt radio?

        The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
        Neither does Trunk88.

        Gene Fusco wrote:

        > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
        >
        > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
        > connected by
        > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
        > apart. On the
        > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
        > middle pad is labeled
        > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
        >
        > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
        > Right now, I have
        > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
        > flap for the data
        > connection.
        >
        > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
        >
        > Gene

      • Rich Carlson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
          There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
          classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
          intercepts.

          While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
          need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

          On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
          > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
          > on a .xt radio?
          >
          > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
          > Neither does Trunk88.
          >
          > Gene Fusco wrote:
          >>

          >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
          >>
          >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
          >> connected by
          >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
          >> apart. On the
          >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
          >> middle pad is labeled
          >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
          >>
          >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
          >> Right now, I have
          >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
          >> flap for the data
          >> connection.
          >>
          >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
          >>
          >> Gene

          Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • pc4610
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
            Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

            I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
            and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
            small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

            One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
            existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
            the rubber cover flap in place.

            Gene
          • Rich Carlson
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
              The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
              shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
              radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

              --
              Rich Carlson, N9JIG
            • dmccorm@charter.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

                I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

                ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
                >
                > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
                > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
                > >
                > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
                > >
                > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                > > the rubber cover flap in place.
                > >
                > > Gene
                >
                > --
                > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
              • Gene Fusco
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                  Rich,

                  I assume the following setup is typical:

                  DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                  Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                  Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                  Thanks,
                  Gene
                  KB0ZMZ

                • Rich Carlson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                    I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                    jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                    like:

                    DISC --------||----------X
                    GND --------------------X

                    On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                    > Rich,
                    >
                    > I assume the following setup is typical:

                    > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                    >
                    > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Gene
                    > KB0ZMZ

                    Rich Carlson, N9JIG