Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
      Yes, it is present on my 396T, 330 and 396XT, I just haven't opened my
      346 yet to check, but it is a pretty safe assumption that Uniden
      remained consistent.

      --
      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • Gene Fusco
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
        The discriminator tap is present on the 346.

        When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are connected by
        a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled apart. On the
        smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the middle pad is labeled
        DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.

        The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack. Right now, I have
        a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover flap for the data
        connection.

        Are there any unused pins on the data connection?

        Gene

      • JAN FINE
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
          Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
          on a .xt radio?

          The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
          Neither does Trunk88.

          Gene Fusco wrote:

          > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
          >
          > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
          > connected by
          > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
          > apart. On the
          > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
          > middle pad is labeled
          > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
          >
          > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
          > Right now, I have
          > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
          > flap for the data
          > connection.
          >
          > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
          >
          > Gene

        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
            There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
            classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
            intercepts.

            While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
            need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

            On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
            > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
            > on a .xt radio?
            >
            > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
            > Neither does Trunk88.
            >
            > Gene Fusco wrote:
            >>

            >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
            >>
            >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
            >> connected by
            >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
            >> apart. On the
            >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
            >> middle pad is labeled
            >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
            >>
            >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
            >> Right now, I have
            >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
            >> flap for the data
            >> connection.
            >>
            >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
            >>
            >> Gene

            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • pc4610
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
              Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

              I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
              and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
              small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

              One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
              existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
              the rubber cover flap in place.

              Gene
            • Rich Carlson
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

                --
                Rich Carlson, N9JIG
              • dmccorm@charter.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                  While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

                  I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

                  ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                  > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                  > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                  > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
                  >
                  > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
                  > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
                  > >
                  > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                  > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                  > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
                  > >
                  > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                  > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                  > > the rubber cover flap in place.
                  > >
                  > > Gene
                  >
                  > --
                  > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                • Gene Fusco
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                    Rich,

                    I assume the following setup is typical:

                    DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                    Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                    Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                    Thanks,
                    Gene
                    KB0ZMZ

                  • Rich Carlson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                      I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                      jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                      like:

                      DISC --------||----------X
                      GND --------------------X

                      On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                      > Rich,
                      >
                      > I assume the following setup is typical:

                      > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                      >
                      > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Gene
                      > KB0ZMZ

                      Rich Carlson, N9JIG