Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • dmccorm@charter.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
      I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?

      ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
      > On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
      > solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
      > run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
      >

      > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
      > > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?
      > >

      > --
      > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • Rich Carlson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
        Yes, it is present on my 396T, 330 and 396XT, I just haven't opened my
        346 yet to check, but it is a pretty safe assumption that Uniden
        remained consistent.

        On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM, <dmccorm@...> wrote:
        > I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?
        >
        > ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
        >> On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
        >> solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
        >> run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
        >>

        >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
        >> > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?

        --
        Rich Carlson, N9JIG
      • Gene Fusco
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
          The discriminator tap is present on the 346.

          When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are connected by
          a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled apart. On the
          smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the middle pad is labeled
          DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.

          The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack. Right now, I have
          a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover flap for the data
          connection.

          Are there any unused pins on the data connection?

          Gene

        • JAN FINE
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
            Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
            on a .xt radio?

            The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
            Neither does Trunk88.

            Gene Fusco wrote:

            > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
            >
            > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
            > connected by
            > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
            > apart. On the
            > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
            > middle pad is labeled
            > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
            >
            > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
            > Right now, I have
            > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
            > flap for the data
            > connection.
            >
            > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
            >
            > Gene

          • Rich Carlson
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
              There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
              classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
              intercepts.

              While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
              need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

              On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
              > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
              > on a .xt radio?
              >
              > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
              > Neither does Trunk88.
              >
              > Gene Fusco wrote:
              >>

              >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
              >>
              >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
              >> connected by
              >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
              >> apart. On the
              >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
              >> middle pad is labeled
              >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
              >>
              >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
              >> Right now, I have
              >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
              >> flap for the data
              >> connection.
              >>
              >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
              >>
              >> Gene

              Rich Carlson, N9JIG
            • pc4610
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

                I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

                One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                the rubber cover flap in place.

                Gene
              • Rich Carlson
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                  The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                  shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                  radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

                  --
                  Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                • dmccorm@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                    While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

                    I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

                    ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                    > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                    > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                    > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
                    >
                    > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
                    > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
                    > >
                    > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                    > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                    > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
                    > >
                    > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                    > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                    > > the rubber cover flap in place.
                    > >
                    > > Gene
                    >
                    > --
                    > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                  • Gene Fusco
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                      Rich,

                      I assume the following setup is typical:

                      DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                      Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                      Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                      Thanks,
                      Gene
                      KB0ZMZ

                    • Rich Carlson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                        I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                        jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                        like:

                        DISC --------||----------X
                        GND --------------------X

                        On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                        > Rich,
                        >
                        > I assume the following setup is typical:

                        > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                        >
                        > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Gene
                        > KB0ZMZ

                        Rich Carlson, N9JIG