Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1 4:42 AM
      On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
      solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
      run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.

      --
      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • dmccorm@charter.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1 8:59 AM
        I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?

        ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
        > On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
        > solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
        > run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
        >

        > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
        > > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?
        > >

        > --
        > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
      • Rich Carlson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1 9:13 AM
          Yes, it is present on my 396T, 330 and 396XT, I just haven't opened my
          346 yet to check, but it is a pretty safe assumption that Uniden
          remained consistent.

          On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM, <dmccorm@...> wrote:
          > I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?
          >
          > ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
          >> On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
          >> solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
          >> run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
          >>

          >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
          >> > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?

          --
          Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • Gene Fusco
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8 6:55 AM
            The discriminator tap is present on the 346.

            When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are connected by
            a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled apart. On the
            smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the middle pad is labeled
            DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.

            The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack. Right now, I have
            a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover flap for the data
            connection.

            Are there any unused pins on the data connection?

            Gene

          • JAN FINE
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8 3:51 PM
              Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
              on a .xt radio?

              The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
              Neither does Trunk88.

              Gene Fusco wrote:

              > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
              >
              > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
              > connected by
              > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
              > apart. On the
              > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
              > middle pad is labeled
              > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
              >
              > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
              > Right now, I have
              > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
              > flap for the data
              > connection.
              >
              > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
              >
              > Gene

            • Rich Carlson
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8 4:55 PM
                There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
                classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
                intercepts.

                While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
                need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

                On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
                > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
                > on a .xt radio?
                >
                > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
                > Neither does Trunk88.
                >
                > Gene Fusco wrote:
                >>

                >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
                >>
                >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
                >> connected by
                >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
                >> apart. On the
                >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
                >> middle pad is labeled
                >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
                >>
                >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
                >> Right now, I have
                >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
                >> flap for the data
                >> connection.
                >>
                >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
                >>
                >> Gene

                Rich Carlson, N9JIG
              • pc4610
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9 5:43 AM
                  Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

                  I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                  and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                  small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

                  One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                  existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                  the rubber cover flap in place.

                  Gene
                • Rich Carlson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9 6:53 AM
                    The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                    shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                    radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

                    --
                    Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                  • dmccorm@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9 7:02 AM
                      While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

                      I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

                      ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                      > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                      > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                      > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
                      >
                      > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
                      > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
                      > >
                      > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                      > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                      > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
                      > >
                      > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                      > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                      > > the rubber cover flap in place.
                      > >
                      > > Gene
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                    • Gene Fusco
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 9 7:55 AM
                        Rich,

                        I assume the following setup is typical:

                        DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                        Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                        Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                        Thanks,
                        Gene
                        KB0ZMZ

                      • Rich Carlson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 9 8:15 AM
                          I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                          jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                          like:

                          DISC --------||----------X
                          GND --------------------X

                          On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                          > Rich,
                          >
                          > I assume the following setup is typical:

                          > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                          >
                          > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Gene
                          > KB0ZMZ

                          Rich Carlson, N9JIG