Re: [BC346XT] Discriminator Tap

  • dmccorm@charter.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
      I haven't found the need now that the Control Channel output works with UniTrunker and Trunk88 without modification.

      ---- raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
      > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?

    • Rich Carlson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
        On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
        solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
        run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.

        --
        Rich Carlson, N9JIG
      • dmccorm@charter.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
          I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?

          ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
          > On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
          > solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
          > run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
          >

          > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
          > > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?
          > >

          > --
          > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
            Yes, it is present on my 396T, 330 and 396XT, I just haven't opened my
            346 yet to check, but it is a pretty safe assumption that Uniden
            remained consistent.

            On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM, <dmccorm@...> wrote:
            > I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?
            >
            > ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
            >> On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
            >> solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
            >> run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
            >>

            >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
            >> > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?

            --
            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • Gene Fusco
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
              The discriminator tap is present on the 346.

              When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are connected by
              a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled apart. On the
              smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the middle pad is labeled
              DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.

              The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack. Right now, I have
              a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover flap for the data
              connection.

              Are there any unused pins on the data connection?

              Gene

            • JAN FINE
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
                Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
                on a .xt radio?

                The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
                Neither does Trunk88.

                Gene Fusco wrote:

                > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
                >
                > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
                > connected by
                > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
                > apart. On the
                > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
                > middle pad is labeled
                > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
                >
                > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
                > Right now, I have
                > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
                > flap for the data
                > connection.
                >
                > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
                >
                > Gene

              • Rich Carlson
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
                  There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
                  classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
                  intercepts.

                  While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
                  need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

                  On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
                  > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
                  > on a .xt radio?
                  >
                  > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
                  > Neither does Trunk88.
                  >
                  > Gene Fusco wrote:
                  >>

                  >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
                  >>
                  >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
                  >> connected by
                  >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
                  >> apart. On the
                  >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
                  >> middle pad is labeled
                  >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
                  >>
                  >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
                  >> Right now, I have
                  >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
                  >> flap for the data
                  >> connection.
                  >>
                  >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
                  >>
                  >> Gene

                  Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                • pc4610
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                    Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

                    I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                    and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                    small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

                    One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                    existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                    the rubber cover flap in place.

                    Gene
                  • Rich Carlson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                      The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                      shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                      radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

                      --
                      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                    • dmccorm@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                        While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

                        I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

                        ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                        > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                        > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                        > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
                        >
                        > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
                        > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
                        > >
                        > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                        > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                        > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
                        > >
                        > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                        > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                        > > the rubber cover flap in place.
                        > >
                        > > Gene
                        >
                        > --
                        > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                      • Gene Fusco
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                          Rich,

                          I assume the following setup is typical:

                          DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                          Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                          Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                          Thanks,
                          Gene
                          KB0ZMZ

                        • Rich Carlson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                            I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                            jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                            like:

                            DISC --------||----------X
                            GND --------------------X

                            On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                            > Rich,
                            >
                            > I assume the following setup is typical:

                            > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                            >
                            > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Gene
                            > KB0ZMZ

                            Rich Carlson, N9JIG