Discriminator Tap

  • raerbear66
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
      Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?
    • dmccorm@charter.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
        I haven't found the need now that the Control Channel output works with UniTrunker and Trunk88 without modification.

        ---- raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
        > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?

      • Rich Carlson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
          On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
          solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
          run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.

          --
          Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • dmccorm@charter.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
            I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?

            ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
            > On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
            > solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
            > run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
            >

            > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
            > > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?
            > >

            > --
            > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • Rich Carlson
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2009
              Yes, it is present on my 396T, 330 and 396XT, I just haven't opened my
              346 yet to check, but it is a pretty safe assumption that Uniden
              remained consistent.

              On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM, <dmccorm@...> wrote:
              > I know it was on the mobile models, is this correct on the handhelds also?
              >
              > ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
              >> On the main board of current generation Uniden scanners is a small
              >> solder pad labeled "DISC". You can tack-solder a small wire here and
              >> run it out to a jack thru a small resistor or cap.
              >>

              >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM, raerbear66 <raerbear66@...> wrote:
              >> > Has anybody done a discriminator tap on this scanner yet ?

              --
              Rich Carlson, N9JIG
            • Gene Fusco
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
                The discriminator tap is present on the 346.

                When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are connected by
                a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled apart. On the
                smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the middle pad is labeled
                DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.

                The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack. Right now, I have
                a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover flap for the data
                connection.

                Are there any unused pins on the data connection?

                Gene

              • JAN FINE
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
                  Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
                  on a .xt radio?

                  The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
                  Neither does Trunk88.

                  Gene Fusco wrote:

                  > The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
                  >
                  > When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
                  > connected by
                  > a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
                  > apart. On the
                  > smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
                  > middle pad is labeled
                  > DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
                  >
                  > The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
                  > Right now, I have
                  > a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
                  > flap for the data
                  > connection.
                  >
                  > Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
                  >
                  > Gene

                • Rich Carlson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2009
                    There are several other applications for discriminator audio such as
                    classic Trunker, ATCS Monitor, PL/DPL decoders and other types of data
                    intercepts.

                    While some newer applications like the ones you mention indeed do not
                    need a discriminator tap there are other situations that do.

                    On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM, JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
                    > Can someone explain to me why one would want to do a discriminator tap
                    > on a .xt radio?
                    >
                    > The new versions of Unitrunker do not require one.
                    > Neither does Trunk88.
                    >
                    > Gene Fusco wrote:
                    >>

                    >> The discriminator tap is present on the 346.
                    >>
                    >> When you open up the radio, you will find two PC boards. These are
                    >> connected by
                    >> a plug that separates easily when the two boards are gently pulled
                    >> apart. On the
                    >> smaller board, next to this plug, are a trio of solder pads. the
                    >> middle pad is labeled
                    >> DISC. There are also a few easily accessible GND pads.
                    >>
                    >> The real problem will be finding space to permanently mount a jack.
                    >> Right now, I have
                    >> a pair of leads running out of the hole that used to anchor the cover
                    >> flap for the data
                    >> connection.
                    >>
                    >> Are there any unused pins on the data connection?
                    >>
                    >> Gene

                    Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                  • pc4610
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                      Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?

                      I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                      and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                      small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.

                      One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                      existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                      the rubber cover flap in place.

                      Gene
                    • Rich Carlson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                        The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                        shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                        radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.

                        --
                        Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                      • dmccorm@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                          While I would most likely purchase or trade a used radio with a discriminator tap from Rich, other may not fair as well with a soldering iron. Keep that in mind if you want to trade or sell later on, especially if a cheaper radio with the same frequency coverage is readily available for discriminator modification, IMHO.

                          I take that in consideration on radios still in warranty and potential used equipment.

                          ---- Rich Carlson <rich.n9jig@...> wrote:
                          > The resistor or capacitor (I use tantalum capacitors) protects against
                          > shorts and stray voltages. While I have never had a problem on the
                          > radios I modded without these components, your mileage may vary.
                          >
                          > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM, pc4610 <nh370@...> wrote:
                          > > Is there more to the connection than just a pair of wires?
                          > >
                          > > I looked at the discriminator tap mod listed on the BCD396T group,
                          > > and it appears to be just that, while on other scanners, there is a
                          > > small capacitor and resistor added to the circuit.
                          > >
                          > > One person shows how he added a mini USB port next to the BCD396T's
                          > > existing data port. This is a very clean looking solution and leaves
                          > > the rubber cover flap in place.
                          > >
                          > > Gene
                          >
                          > --
                          > Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                        • Gene Fusco
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                            Rich,

                            I assume the following setup is typical:

                            DISC --------/\/\/\/\--------X-----------||---------- GND

                            Output connection to device at "X" and GND

                            Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.

                            Thanks,
                            Gene
                            KB0ZMZ

                          • Rich Carlson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 9, 2009
                              I use small tantalum caps inline between the DISC solder pad and the
                              jack. The ground is connected directly, so I guess it would look more
                              like:

                              DISC --------||----------X
                              GND --------------------X

                              On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Gene Fusco <nh370@...> wrote:
                              > Rich,
                              >
                              > I assume the following setup is typical:

                              > Output connection to device at "X" and GND
                              >
                              > Suggestions for component values would be appreciated.
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Gene
                              > KB0ZMZ

                              Rich Carlson, N9JIG