newbie here

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2009
      Hi my name is Ben. I just got a new uniden bc346xt scanner and dont know really anything about it. I downloaded the software, but it didn't play on my computer for some reason? i also downloaded freescan, but have no idea how to use that either. I live in deschutes county, Oregon. Is there anyone who can steer me in the right direction, or would be willing to share their setup with me? Thanks in advance for any help you can be!

      Ben
    • JAN FINE
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2009
        You can't hurt anything. Play. Start small. Learn just what you need and as you go you can learn more features. Same with the software. If you want to program with the software that is the first thing to do. Once you get 1 system in decide if you want to add talkgroups or more than 1 system. These are sophisticated radios. That doesn't mean a beginner can't learn. It just means don't try to learn too much at once. It's just like if you were a beginner with computers. You just can't learn it all at once. There are people that have been doing this for over 30 years. Each time a new radio or new features come out they learn it. If you learn one thing at a time you will know an awful lot in 10 years. Good Luck and enjoy.

        Hi my name is Ben. I just got a new uniden bc346xt scanner and dont know really anything about it. I downloaded the software, but it didn't play on my computer for some reason? i also downloaded freescan, but have no idea how to use that either. I live in deschutes county, Oregon. Is there anyone who can steer me in the right direction, or would be willing to share their setup with me? Thanks in advance for any help you can be!

        Ben

      • david
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2009
          Hi there. Please point me in the direction of the software when you get a moment. i'm in Canada here and is there anyone in western Canada with one of these units? I love mine.
          thanks

          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "JAN FINE" <jan_fine@...> wrote:

          > You can't hurt anything. Play. Start small. Learn just what you need and as you go you can learn more features. Same with the software. If you want to program with the software that is the first thing to do. Once you get 1 system in decide if you want to add talkgroups or more than 1 system. These are sophisticated radios. That doesn't mean a beginner can't learn. It just means don't try to learn too much at once. It's just like if you were a beginner with computers. You just can't learn it all at once. There are people that have been doing this for over 30 years. Each time a new radio or new features come out they learn it. If you learn one thing at a time you will know an awful lot in 10 years. Good Luck and enjoy.

        • tomvanderpool
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2009
            You can start here for a look around:

            http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC346XT#Supporting_Software