Re: [BC346XT] Groups not showing up *FIXED

  • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
      For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class scanner and had to do the same thing.

      Don, KE4JD

      -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

      As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
      displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
      you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
      still might be a prudent thing to do.

      Joe M.

    • Roth Ritter
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
        Interesting, well at least I know how to fix the problem if it happens
        again. This is a really nice scanner once you get to know your way
        around it.

        On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:04 PM, dmascanning@... wrote:

        > For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class
        > scanner and had to do the same thing.
        >
        > Don, KE4JD
        >
        > -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------
        >
        > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
        > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
        > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
        > still might be a prudent thing to do.
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > Roth Ritter wrote:
        > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
        > what
        > > happened to begin with.
        > >
        > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
        > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
        > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
        > point, I
        > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
        > This
        > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
        > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
        > > good measure.
        > >
        > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
        > >

        > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
        > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
        > >

        > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
        > >

        > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
        > and
        > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
        > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
        > not
        > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
        > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
        > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
        > >>
        > >> ________________________________

      • Roth Ritter
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
          Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
          had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.

          On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:

          > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
          > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
          > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
          > still might be a prudent thing to do.
          >
          > Joe M.
          >
          > Roth Ritter wrote:
          > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
          > what
          > > happened to begin with.
          > >
          > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
          > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
          > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
          > point, I
          > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
          > This
          > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
          > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
          > > good measure.
          > >
          > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
          > >

          > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
          > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
          > >

          > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
          > >

          > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
          > and
          > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
          > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
          > not
          > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
          > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
          > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
          > >>
          > >> ________________________________

        • Ron H.
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
            Comuter interface, means programing via the computer, AND here is what I do. When you are done updating he sytem, then of course it ask if you want to save it. Nice thing about this is that should something happen to the memory of the scanner, then just resend the saved file. When it ask you to clear all data first, answer YES, or you may retain the previous problem when reloading the scanner.
            --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Roth Ritter <orbital@...> wrote:

            > Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
            > had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.
            >

            > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
            > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
            >

            > On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:
            >

            > > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
            > > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
            > > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
            > > still might be a prudent thing to do.
            > >
            > > Joe M.
            > >
            > > Roth Ritter wrote:
            > > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
            > > what
            > > > happened to begin with.
            > > >
            > > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
            > > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
            > > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
            > > point, I
            > > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
            > > This
            > > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
            > > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
            > > > good measure.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
            > > >

            > > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
            > > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro

            > > and
            > > not

          • Roth Ritter
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
              While we're on the subject of computer interfacing, what software is
              good for scanner programming? I'm new to scanner PC interfacing and
              I've seen one or two free apps out there but don't know anything about
              them.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                Right now, AFAIK you have two choices: FreeScan and ProScan. Soon you
                will have ARC-XT to add to that list, and somewhere down the road UASD,
                ScanControl, bcTool, and perhaps others.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                  If it happens again, contact me directly. I'd like to get a clone of your setup for study (I can provide the tool/instructions).

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                    I will, thanks Paul. As best I can remember I was adding a new group
                    to the site in question and changing the GQK order of the last two
                    groups at or around the time it began acting like this. I know that's
                    not enough concrete info to help much, but I'll be better prepared
                    next time.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                      Thanks Joe, yes FreeScan is the one I remember running across.

                    • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                        Hi Paul,

                        You should have a clone of mine that I sent you on the other XT group. That is why I could not get priority to work.

                        Don, KE4JD

                        -------------- Original message from Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>: --------------