Re: [BC346XT] Groups not showing up

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3 10:03 AM
      But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were simply
      disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.

      My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
      see if a GQK assignment still exists.

      I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.

      Joe M.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3 10:56 AM
        Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups and the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are not on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system even you you think that is the one you are on...).

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3 12:46 PM
          Agreed and there in lies my problem. The SQK is assigned to "1" and
          GQKs are currently assigned to each of the 6 groups (1-6), each group
          is set to 'unlocked' as is the system. If I copy the system into a new
          name and activate it, that new system is also unresponsive with a new
          SQK and doesn't show any indication it has groups associated with it.
          I'm sure I have the right system selected and it does have groups
          assigned to it with unique GQKs. It's really strange.

          On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:

          > Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups and
          > the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
          > menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are not
          > on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
          > scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
          > even you you think that is the one you are on...).
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Roth Ritter
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3 12:48 PM
            Exactly, I don't know why it shows "-" where the groups should be. If
            I go into the the system and edit the groups, they're all there with
            unique GQKs and like I mentioned if I put the system on hold and
            manually scroll through the groups, they're all there; but pressing
            scan yields 'nothing to scan'. This system was working fine up until
            yesterday and I don't know what changed.

            On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:03 AM, MCH wrote:

            > But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were
            > simply
            > disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.
            >
            > My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
            > see if a GQK assignment still exists.
            >
            > I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > Paul Opitz wrote:
            > > Press F and scroll to that system. While FUNC is still activated,
            > press the numbers for the channel groups you want to turn back on.
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • Roth Ritter
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3 12:59 PM
              Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand what
              happened to begin with.

              What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
              GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
              and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that point, I
              changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again. This
              seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
              memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
              good measure.

              Thanks for all of the input and help on this -

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3 4:20 PM
                As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                still might be a prudent thing to do.

                Joe M.

              • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3 5:04 PM
                  For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class scanner and had to do the same thing.

                  Don, KE4JD

                  -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                    Interesting, well at least I know how to fix the problem if it happens
                    again. This is a really nice scanner once you get to know your way
                    around it.

                    On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:04 PM, dmascanning@... wrote:

                    > For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class
                    > scanner and had to do the same thing.
                    >
                    > Don, KE4JD
                    >
                    > -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------
                    >
                    > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                    > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                    > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                    > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > Roth Ritter wrote:
                    > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                    > what
                    > > happened to begin with.
                    > >
                    > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                    > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                    > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                    > point, I
                    > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                    > This
                    > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                    > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                    > > good measure.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                    > >

                    > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                    > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                    > >

                    > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                    > and
                    > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                    > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                    > not
                    > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                    > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                    > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                    > >>
                    > >> ________________________________

                  • Roth Ritter
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                      Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
                      had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.

                      On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:

                      > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                      > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                      > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                      > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > Roth Ritter wrote:
                      > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                      > what
                      > > happened to begin with.
                      > >
                      > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                      > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                      > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                      > point, I
                      > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                      > This
                      > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                      > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                      > > good measure.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                      > >

                      > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                      > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                      > >

                      > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                      > and
                      > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                      > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                      > not
                      > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                      > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                      > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                      > >>
                      > >> ________________________________

                    • Ron H.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4 4:51 AM
                        Comuter interface, means programing via the computer, AND here is what I do. When you are done updating he sytem, then of course it ask if you want to save it. Nice thing about this is that should something happen to the memory of the scanner, then just resend the saved file. When it ask you to clear all data first, answer YES, or you may retain the previous problem when reloading the scanner.
                        --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Roth Ritter <orbital@...> wrote:

                        > Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
                        > had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.
                        >

                        > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                        > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                        >

                        > On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:
                        >

                        > > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                        > > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                        > > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                        > > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                        > >
                        > > Joe M.
                        > >
                        > > Roth Ritter wrote:
                        > > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                        > > what
                        > > > happened to begin with.
                        > > >
                        > > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                        > > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                        > > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                        > > point, I
                        > > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                        > > This
                        > > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                        > > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                        > > > good measure.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                        > > >

                        > > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                        > > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro

                        > > and
                        > > not

                      • Roth Ritter
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4 7:57 AM
                          While we're on the subject of computer interfacing, what software is
                          good for scanner programming? I'm new to scanner PC interfacing and
                          I've seen one or two free apps out there but don't know anything about
                          them.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4 7:59 AM
                            Right now, AFAIK you have two choices: FreeScan and ProScan. Soon you
                            will have ARC-XT to add to that list, and somewhere down the road UASD,
                            ScanControl, bcTool, and perhaps others.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4 8:34 AM
                              If it happens again, contact me directly. I'd like to get a clone of your setup for study (I can provide the tool/instructions).

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4 8:42 AM
                                I will, thanks Paul. As best I can remember I was adding a new group
                                to the site in question and changing the GQK order of the last two
                                groups at or around the time it began acting like this. I know that's
                                not enough concrete info to help much, but I'll be better prepared
                                next time.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4 8:44 AM
                                  Thanks Joe, yes FreeScan is the one I remember running across.

                                • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4 10:34 AM
                                    Hi Paul,

                                    You should have a clone of mine that I sent you on the other XT group. That is why I could not get priority to work.

                                    Don, KE4JD

                                    -------------- Original message from Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>: --------------