Re: [BC346XT] Groups not showing up

  • Roth Ritter
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
      My correction, this system in question is simply a conventional type
      system, not a trunking one (if that makes any difference).

      Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
      http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
        But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were simply
        disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.

        My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
        see if a GQK assignment still exists.

        I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
          Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups and the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are not on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system even you you think that is the one you are on...).

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
            Agreed and there in lies my problem. The SQK is assigned to "1" and
            GQKs are currently assigned to each of the 6 groups (1-6), each group
            is set to 'unlocked' as is the system. If I copy the system into a new
            name and activate it, that new system is also unresponsive with a new
            SQK and doesn't show any indication it has groups associated with it.
            I'm sure I have the right system selected and it does have groups
            assigned to it with unique GQKs. It's really strange.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
              Exactly, I don't know why it shows "-" where the groups should be. If
              I go into the the system and edit the groups, they're all there with
              unique GQKs and like I mentioned if I put the system on hold and
              manually scroll through the groups, they're all there; but pressing
              scan yields 'nothing to scan'. This system was working fine up until
              yesterday and I don't know what changed.

              On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:03 AM, MCH wrote:

              > But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were
              > simply
              > disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.
              >
              > My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
              > see if a GQK assignment still exists.
              >
              > I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > Paul Opitz wrote:
              > > Press F and scroll to that system. While FUNC is still activated,
              > press the numbers for the channel groups you want to turn back on.
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Roth Ritter
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand what
                happened to begin with.

                What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that point, I
                changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again. This
                seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                good measure.

                Thanks for all of the input and help on this -

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                  As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                  displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                  you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                  still might be a prudent thing to do.

                  Joe M.

                • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                    For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class scanner and had to do the same thing.

                    Don, KE4JD

                    -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                      Interesting, well at least I know how to fix the problem if it happens
                      again. This is a really nice scanner once you get to know your way
                      around it.

                      On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:04 PM, dmascanning@... wrote:

                      > For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class
                      > scanner and had to do the same thing.
                      >
                      > Don, KE4JD
                      >
                      > -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------
                      >
                      > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                      > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                      > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                      > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > Roth Ritter wrote:
                      > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                      > what
                      > > happened to begin with.
                      > >
                      > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                      > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                      > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                      > point, I
                      > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                      > This
                      > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                      > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                      > > good measure.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                      > >

                      > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                      > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                      > >

                      > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                      > and
                      > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                      > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                      > not
                      > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                      > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                      > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                      > >>
                      > >> ________________________________

                    • Roth Ritter
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3, 2009
                        Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
                        had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.

                        On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:

                        > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                        > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                        > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                        > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                        >
                        > Joe M.
                        >
                        > Roth Ritter wrote:
                        > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                        > what
                        > > happened to begin with.
                        > >
                        > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                        > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                        > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                        > point, I
                        > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                        > This
                        > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                        > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                        > > good measure.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                        > >

                        > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                        > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                        > >

                        > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                        > and
                        > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                        > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                        > not
                        > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                        > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                        > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                        > >>
                        > >> ________________________________

                      • Ron H.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                          Comuter interface, means programing via the computer, AND here is what I do. When you are done updating he sytem, then of course it ask if you want to save it. Nice thing about this is that should something happen to the memory of the scanner, then just resend the saved file. When it ask you to clear all data first, answer YES, or you may retain the previous problem when reloading the scanner.
                          --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, Roth Ritter <orbital@...> wrote:

                          > Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
                          > had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.
                          >

                          > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                          > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                          >

                          > On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:
                          >

                          > > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                          > > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                          > > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                          > > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                          > >
                          > > Joe M.
                          > >
                          > > Roth Ritter wrote:
                          > > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                          > > what
                          > > > happened to begin with.
                          > > >
                          > > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                          > > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                          > > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                          > > point, I
                          > > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                          > > This
                          > > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                          > > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                          > > > good measure.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                          > > >

                          > > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                          > > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro

                          > > and
                          > > not

                        • Roth Ritter
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                            While we're on the subject of computer interfacing, what software is
                            good for scanner programming? I'm new to scanner PC interfacing and
                            I've seen one or two free apps out there but don't know anything about
                            them.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                              Right now, AFAIK you have two choices: FreeScan and ProScan. Soon you
                              will have ARC-XT to add to that list, and somewhere down the road UASD,
                              ScanControl, bcTool, and perhaps others.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                If it happens again, contact me directly. I'd like to get a clone of your setup for study (I can provide the tool/instructions).

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                  I will, thanks Paul. As best I can remember I was adding a new group
                                  to the site in question and changing the GQK order of the last two
                                  groups at or around the time it began acting like this. I know that's
                                  not enough concrete info to help much, but I'll be better prepared
                                  next time.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                    Thanks Joe, yes FreeScan is the one I remember running across.

                                  • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4, 2009
                                      Hi Paul,

                                      You should have a clone of mine that I sent you on the other XT group. That is why I could not get priority to work.

                                      Don, KE4JD

                                      -------------- Original message from Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>: --------------