Re: [BC346XT] Re: Groups not showing up

  • Roth Ritter
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3 7:58 AM
      Well I'm not able to hear any of the groups within this trunk system
      unless I press the hold button, then the first group appears as an "*"
      and I can twist the knob to move to the next group; pressing scan
      again results in "nothing to scan" and error beep. The other systems
      that work don't indicate any setting I'm not already using as far as I
      can tell. I don't know if I accidentally hit something at some point
      to put them in this mode or if it could even be a firmware bug (I'm
      running 1.01 which came from the factory and I know there is a later
      one out there). Thanks.

      Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
      http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3 7:58 AM
        I've tried to reactivate them that way but nothing happens with
        exception of an error beep. I've used that key combo before to enable/
        disable groups and that works in every case but this one. Usually,
        there is a "*" indicated in the group slot when it is inactive, but in
        this case I only see all dashes "-". It's like trying to enable a
        group that doesn't exist (but it does), or isn't somehow bound to the
        system. Thanks.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3 8:00 AM
          My correction, this system in question is simply a conventional type
          system, not a trunking one (if that makes any difference).

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3 10:03 AM
            But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were simply
            disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.

            My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
            see if a GQK assignment still exists.

            I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3 10:56 AM
              Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups and the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are not on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system even you you think that is the one you are on...).

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3 12:46 PM
                Agreed and there in lies my problem. The SQK is assigned to "1" and
                GQKs are currently assigned to each of the 6 groups (1-6), each group
                is set to 'unlocked' as is the system. If I copy the system into a new
                name and activate it, that new system is also unresponsive with a new
                SQK and doesn't show any indication it has groups associated with it.
                I'm sure I have the right system selected and it does have groups
                assigned to it with unique GQKs. It's really strange.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3 12:48 PM
                  Exactly, I don't know why it shows "-" where the groups should be. If
                  I go into the the system and edit the groups, they're all there with
                  unique GQKs and like I mentioned if I put the system on hold and
                  manually scroll through the groups, they're all there; but pressing
                  scan yields 'nothing to scan'. This system was working fine up until
                  yesterday and I don't know what changed.

                  On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:03 AM, MCH wrote:

                  > But wouldn't the "-" mean the assignment is gone? If the GQK were
                  > simply
                  > disabled, it would show a "*" in that slot.
                  >
                  > My suggestion would be to go into the menu under the Group options to
                  > see if a GQK assignment still exists.
                  >
                  > I'm betting some SW stripped the GQKs out.
                  >
                  > Joe M.
                  >
                  > Paul Opitz wrote:
                  > > Press F and scroll to that system. While FUNC is still activated,
                  > press the numbers for the channel groups you want to turn back on.
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • Roth Ritter
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3 12:59 PM
                    Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand what
                    happened to begin with.

                    What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                    GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                    and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that point, I
                    changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again. This
                    seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                    memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                    good measure.

                    Thanks for all of the input and help on this -

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3 4:20 PM
                      As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                      displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                      you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                      still might be a prudent thing to do.

                      Joe M.

                    • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3 5:04 PM
                        For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class scanner and had to do the same thing.

                        Don, KE4JD

                        -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                          Interesting, well at least I know how to fix the problem if it happens
                          again. This is a really nice scanner once you get to know your way
                          around it.

                          On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:04 PM, dmascanning@... wrote:

                          > For what it is worth, I also experienced this on another XT class
                          > scanner and had to do the same thing.
                          >
                          > Don, KE4JD
                          >
                          > -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------
                          >
                          > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                          > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                          > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                          > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                          >
                          > Joe M.
                          >
                          > Roth Ritter wrote:
                          > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                          > what
                          > > happened to begin with.
                          > >
                          > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                          > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                          > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                          > point, I
                          > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                          > This
                          > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                          > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                          > > good measure.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                          > >

                          > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                          > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                          > >

                          > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                          > >

                          > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                          > and
                          > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                          > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                          > not
                          > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                          > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                          > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                          > >>
                          > >> ________________________________

                        • Roth Ritter
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3 9:11 PM
                            Indeed, I don't want to be caught with lost memory banks. I haven't
                            had a chance to try PC interfacing but will soon.

                            On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, MCH wrote:

                            > As your menu was saying the GQKs were programmed, and the scanner was
                            > displaying that they were not, my next suggestion was going to be that
                            > you back up your data, reset the scanner, then reload your data. That
                            > still might be a prudent thing to do.
                            >
                            > Joe M.
                            >
                            > Roth Ritter wrote:
                            > > Ok, I *finally* resolved the problem but I still don't understand
                            > what
                            > > happened to begin with.
                            > >
                            > > What I did to fix this was go into the first group which was set to
                            > > GQK "1". I changed the quick key to "." which is no key and then it
                            > > and all of the other groups re-appeared for scanning. At that
                            > point, I
                            > > changed it back to "1" and now everything seems fine once again.
                            > This
                            > > seems like a software bug to me. Maybe the quick key assignments in
                            > > memory somehow got corrupt? I might want to upgrade the firmware for
                            > > good measure.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for all of the input and help on this -
                            > >

                            > > Dark Atmospheres / a s t r o p h o t o g r a p h y \
                            > > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/astro
                            > >

                            > > On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Paul Opitz wrote:
                            > >

                            > >> Then you either do not have GQKs assigned to your channel groups
                            > and
                            > >> the channel groups are locked out (you can only unlock using the
                            > >> menu), the problem system has no channels programmed, or you are
                            > not
                            > >> on the system you think you are when you are trying the GQK (if the
                            > >> scanner says "Nothing to Scan" you must still scroll to the system
                            > >> even you you think that is the one you are on...).
                            > >>
                            > >> ________________________________

                          • Ron H.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4 4:51 AM
                              Comuter interface, means programing via the computer, AND here is what I do. When you are done updating he sytem, then of course it ask if you want to save it. Nice thing about this is that should something happen to the memory of the scanner, then just resend the saved file. When it ask you to clear all data first, answer YES, or you may retain the previous problem when reloading the scanner.

                            • Roth Ritter
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4 7:57 AM
                                While we're on the subject of computer interfacing, what software is
                                good for scanner programming? I'm new to scanner PC interfacing and
                                I've seen one or two free apps out there but don't know anything about
                                them.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4 7:59 AM
                                  Right now, AFAIK you have two choices: FreeScan and ProScan. Soon you
                                  will have ARC-XT to add to that list, and somewhere down the road UASD,
                                  ScanControl, bcTool, and perhaps others.

                                  Joe M.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4 8:34 AM
                                    If it happens again, contact me directly. I'd like to get a clone of your setup for study (I can provide the tool/instructions).

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4 8:42 AM
                                      I will, thanks Paul. As best I can remember I was adding a new group
                                      to the site in question and changing the GQK order of the last two
                                      groups at or around the time it began acting like this. I know that's
                                      not enough concrete info to help much, but I'll be better prepared
                                      next time.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 4 8:44 AM
                                        Thanks Joe, yes FreeScan is the one I remember running across.

                                      • dmascanning@bellsouth.net
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 4 10:34 AM
                                          Hi Paul,

                                          You should have a clone of mine that I sent you on the other XT group. That is why I could not get priority to work.

                                          Don, KE4JD

                                          -------------- Original message from Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>: --------------