687Re: Help

  • xc_rage
    Dec 28, 2011
      Steve and Bill,

      I had the same problem a few years back when I bought a BC246T. I had no idea how to program the thing and it set on a shelf for almost two years. I was finally able to get some help from the forums and this is what I did to program my BC346XT...

      (1.) I downloaded the Program called "FreeSCAN" which supports the Uniden BC346XT and will allow you to program the scanner from a PC.

      (2.) I bought the Uniden USB-1 Scanner Radio PC Interface Cable (about $30 retail from Amazon or Uniden)

      This cable can also be used to update the firmware on your BC346XT via a computer if any updates are available. (I updated the firmware on my BC246T using this cable)

      (3.) I paid for a $15 dollar (six month) subscription to Radioreference. This will allow you to download the frequencies via "FreeSCAN" from your PC to your Uniden BC346XT.

      It is very time consuming to program a scanner by hand. I highly recommend using a computer if one is available. Radioreference has a lot of good information on "FreeSCAN"

      Disclaimer: If you mess up your scanner, computer, etc... I take no responsibility for this. I cannot guarantee that the method I used will work for others.

      I hope this helps,

      Very Respectfully,

      --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "sraasch" <sraasch@...> wrote:
      > Hi all...
      > I also got a BC346XT for the holidays. I have some scanner experience (owned and was moderately successful using my PRO-94 for a while). I have been through the official and "better" manuals. What I notice seems to be missing is a HOWTO approach for the relaive newbie. Both manuals are probably fine for someone with some experience, but it took quite a bit of digging to find out how to do a simple scan of the public safety bands.
      > Not being one to simply complain/whine/etc, what I think I will do is try to put together something for someone with a little less expertise. I hope that I can find support here for the (many) questions I'm likely to need answered.
      > If something like what I'm describing already exists, I'd appreciate a pointer so as to not duplicate the work.
      > -Steve
      > --- In BC346XT@yahoogroups.com, "billinchat" <billinchat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > OK, I am brand new to scanners, got a Uniden BC346XT for Christmas, don't know anything about it at all, have batteries in and all charged up. Now what? I have the manual online but do not really understand what they are talking about. I will oreder the easier manual from ScannerMaster when they are restocked but meanwhile would like to do something with this, yet I do not want to aggravate you seasoned users with idiotic questions. Any suggestions.
      > >
      > > Bill

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic