325Re: antenna choice

  • kayi4cle
    Apr 22, 2010
      I understand what you are saying, but when I first got my radio and tried using the BNC connector and attaching an antenna and then taking it off and attaching another antenna, etc., it still seemed to me like it was putting some stress on the radio's SMA connection. I probably worry too much about stuff like that, and perhaps I should try it again because it did work great and I didn't notice any loss. But, on the other hand, I greatly prefer the way it looks with an SMA antenna and I had pretty much decided to just put one on and leave it alone (rather than changing antennas all the time). One thing's for sure, regardless of which type antenna, the 346 is a great radio!

      > I used to hate the SMA (well, dislike it), but then I started to look at
      > it differently: When my BNC connector wears out, it will be much easier
      > to replace it than it used to be.
      >
      > As for those who may complain about insertion loss, there is less than
      > 0.05 dB of insertion loss (IOW, nothing to would ever be able to notice).
      >
      > I do with the adapter were black (and yes, I know you can get them in
      > black) so it weren't as 'obvious' when you have a black scanner and
      > black antenna. But back on the topic, the 800 MHz antenna doesn't have a
      > covered BNC, so I guess I would have silver there anyway.
      >
      > It's much easier (read: faster) to change antennas with a BNC than an
      > SMA, too.
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > kayi4cle wrote:
      > > I agree, but I don't like using the BNC adapter. I use SMA antennas from Scannermaster and http://www.wpsantennas.com/ in the same basic range but they're not quite as good as the Radio Shack 800 MHz. Why oh why can't someone come out with a comparable SMA version of it!

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic