trio mopmu debut performance this Thursday - Berkeley.

  • the toids
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2004
      Hello Friends,

      This Thursday eve my new trio mopmu project featuring myself (Ryan
      Francesconi) on Bulgarian tambura / kaval, Bill Laphier on bass, and Bryan
      Bowman on drums will do our first public set at the Jazz House in Berkeley
      (9PM). The music is a mixture of contemporary and traditional Bulgarian
      instrumentals mixed with originals mixed with some risky improvisation.

      I can promise you that you can't hear this music anywhere in the world
      except this Thursday at :

      ODD SHAPED CASE PRESENTS, OSC 1ST THURSDAYS @ THE JAZZ HOUSE

      MAY 6th, 2004
      KIPPLE @ 8PM
      TRIO MOPMU @ 9PM

      WHERE: The Jazz House * 3192 Adeline Street Berkeley, CA 94703
      (Look for the ANT sign)
      GENRE: Jazz/Balkan/New Music

      WHO:
      TRIO MOPMU is a new addition to the Bay Area Jazz and Balkan music scene
      featuring two members of The Toids (Ryan Francesconi - tambura, Bill
      Lanphier - bass) plus Collective Amnesia drummer Bryan Bowman. The trio play
      new interpretations and improvisations based on the Bulgarian instrumental
      tradition. They are quite possibly the only tambura power trio in the world.
      Don't miss this debut performance!

      AARON NOVIK'S KIPPLE creates the obvious link between the synchopated
      groove arrangements of James Brown and Fela Kuti with minimalist composers
      Steve Reich & John Adams with the sound and feel of a late 60's Miles Davis
      recording. The lineup is Ches Smith on drums, Lisa Mezzacappa on bass, Mitch
      Marcus on Rhodes, Graham Connah on keyboards, John Finkbeiner on guitar,
      and Aaron Novik on handsignals.

      ABOUT:
      Odd Shaped Case is an independent label, distribution, and production
      company based in San Francisco. We primarily focuses on promoting new music
      derived from the musical cultures of the Balkans and Middle East,
      Jazz/Improvistion, and Electronics through supporting new recordings,
      concerts, and publications. OSC was founded in 2001, and has since grown to
      include over 15 bands and numerous side projects.

      WEB:
      http://www.oddshapedcase.com/
      http://www.thejazzhouse.org/