Change in Day: Balkan Dance Cabal Meets This Wednesday July 24th at Ashkenaz

  • Nadav Nur
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2013

      Balkan Dance Cabal Meets This Wednesday July 24th at Ashkenaz, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.!

      This month, the Balkan Dance Cabal (Balkan Dance Class) – "Plotting to achieve the sublime through the joyful mastery of dance" – is meeting on Wednesdays not Mondays.  The next meeting of the BDC will be Wednesday July 24th in the rear dance studio at Ashkenaz, 1317 San Pablo Avenue, in Berkeley:  admission $5.  Note that the subsequent meeting will be Monday, August 12th.

      Wednesday’s class will feature teaching by Jerry Duke and Nadav Nur. Jerry will review the Albanian dance, Vallja e Rrajces.  This is a Beranče-type dance that Jerry learned from Yves Moreau who learned it from Steve Kotansky.  A great dance.  Jerry will also review the Macedonian dance, Patrunino, taught originally by Pece Atanasovski.  Nadav will teach the Romanian dance Hora Lautareasca, freshly learned a few weeks ago from Steve Kotansky at Mendocino Folklore Camp.  This is an exciting dance with fantastic Romanian-Transylvanian-Gypsy music.

      As time permits, we will do (or go over) other recent dances taught in the class, such as the Macedonian dance, Stankena (also called Stankino) and the Bulgarian dance, Kilimarkso.

      We encourage all dancers who aspire to master a variety of challenging and inspiring dances in a supportive and friendly environment. We aim to teach both intermediate and advanced Balkan dances.  As always, we will try and keep the class flexible and responsive to dancers' needs and wants.

      We hope to see you this Wednesday the 24th.  The subsequent meeting will be Monday, August 12th, same time and location.  Dates for the latter part of August and for September are still to be finalized; stay tuned for announcements.

      For more information, call Richard at 510-524-3611, or email balkanazers@....